Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Shrooms – Nature’s Recyclers

Did I mention that we’ve had a lot of rain since last week?  It’s been nearly 5 days of on and off showers, including some downpours.
926 shrooms (3)Lawns around town are sprouting rows of white caps.
926 shroomsMushrooms are fungi that live on dead organic matter and grow and feed on decaying dead roots, old mulch, animal waste or rotting stumps that were covered by soil.
926 shrooms (2)They are the fruit of this fungus. An abundance of food sources for the fungi in the soil will ensure lots of lawn mushrooms. The more food sources the fungi have, the bigger the lawn mushrooms will grow.
shroom collage1That’s why some lawn mushrooms are huge and others are small – it depends on the amount of food sources  available.
shroom collage2Most mushrooms generally are harmless to grasses; some  consider them unsightly or want remove them as children might try eating them. Some variations are poisonous.
926 shrooms (14)The mushrooms that are visible are only the fruiting body, which primarily spreads spores to create new colonies. It’s what's going on underground, that keeps the fungus alive. Most mushrooms reproduce asexually by releasing thousands of spores through their gills into the open air for dispersion into the environment.
926 shrooms (12)Mushrooms are natural recyclers – most are harmful to a lawn. They decompose organic matter and release nutrients for plant growth into the soil.

So if you have a lawn full of mushrooms – be thankful. It’s not a bad thing.

16 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Some Shaggy Manes have popped up in my lawn ... the first time since I've lived here (almost 5 years).

Connie said...

Cool pictures, Beatrice. I always kind of like to see mushrooms pop up. Gives us something different and interesting to look at every once in a while. :)

Elaine said...

We've had a huge crop of mushrooms in our lawn this year. The amazing thing is they can pop up full grown in a matter of hours.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Neat-O, this was very informative. You have some huge mushrooms there. Good you are getting rain, send some here then maybe I could see my tiny pinwheel mushrooms again.

Hope your day is blessed.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

We have an abundance of mushrooms too. I'm looking forward to some sun this weekend.

MadSnapper said...

thanks for all the info, i once stopped at a house that had a lawn full and the lady of the house was on her porch. I asked permission to walk on her grass and take photos. i think she thought i was crazy, i spent 15 minutes sitting the camera on the ground and madly snapping. I love your last shot in this post.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

We have several different types that grow on the grounds in the woods here.........although as you probably know.......not one this year due to the drought. I had to smile at your last sentence in this post. Blessings,Kathleen

Out on the prairie said...

I get the huge fairy rings this time of year.

Anonymous said...

As You know by now I just love mushrooms :-) These are just beautiful! Are they White Toadstools?

Have a great day!
Christer.

Unknown said...

There is a lot of shrooms about at the moment

ancient one said...

I didn't know all this information about mushrooms.. I just know I like to see them and the different forms they take. Very interesting blog today!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Everyone, thanks for your comments. It's easy to find mushrooms everyplace I drive around town. The rain and humidity have produced bumper crops.

There were only 2 varieties shown in the post and the large ones are called mushrooms, toadstools, or fairy rings, as Steve and others commented. I don't know what the rounded one is named; it doesn't look like a puffball cause it's not as rounded.

THunderstorms predicted tonight so more shrooms will be popping up. As Elaine noted they seem to bloom quickly.

Anvilcloud said...

Thanks for my educational moment this morning.

L. D. said...

We get a few once in a while that come up just because the weather and rain was just right for them. Interesting blog.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Larry, I figure I learn something too when I share info.

Allison said...

That was very informational! Never knew all that... and what pretty pictures!