As we’ve been telling y’all for the past few weeks, this year’s F&P strawberry crop has been outstanding, abundant, and SO VERY delicious. We’ve been enjoying strawberries in morning smoothies, fruit salads and in Grenville’s first strawberry pie.
Before leaving for our PA road trip last week, we picked and ate as many berries as possible. Checking the patch this week there were still some usable ones, but only a scant cupful. Still, there’s lots of flowers, so more fruit soon – we hope! That said and using the most recent pickings, here’s a new way to enjoy strawberries – on salad. The photo shows the ingredients.
Note: there was no “pure maple syrup” or fresh lemons in the F&P. Instead, bottled syrup and bottled fresh lemon juice were substitutes and worked well.
Strawberry-Lemon Basil Dressing
- 1 C fresh strawberries
- 1/2 C packed fresh basil
- 3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup to taste
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put strawberries, basil, lemon juice, oil in a food processor OR (my choice) use an immersion blender. Process until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, syrup to taste.
- Assemble a salad and pour dressing on top.
Leftover dressing will keep a few days refrigerated in a sealed container. Tonight’s salad included chicken strips, Chinese noodles, and water chestnuts.
This recipe is adapted from a vegan recipe blog, Oh She Glows. Check out this site for lots of great recipes from Angela Liddon.