Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Sweets for Sara

Chutters CandyNH1020 (2)
Thanks to our friend, Sara, who posted a comment on a previous blog, we took a detour to Littleton, a small town in northwestern NH after leaving North Conway and heading back to Nashua.

WHY?  To find Chutters at 43 Main Street.

WHY?  Because it it the site of what’s been called “the world's longest candy counter” and Chutters reportedly has a certificate from Guinness World Records (GWR) to prove it. The story goes that in 2000, at the urging of a store employee, GWR added this new category; but, I could not find it listed in an online search.

NOTE: Guinness World Records, which until 2000 was known as The Guinness Book of Records is a yearly-published reference book with a collection of world records. The book itself holds a world record, as the best-selling copyrighted book series; it is also one of the most often stolen books from U.S. public libraries.
 Chutters CandyNH1020 (4)Chutters CandyNH1020
The 3-tiered, store-length candy counter in Chutters Littleton, NH store measures nearly 112 feet and holds 800 jars of sweet treats. All these treats are stored in 500 glass jars of  candy that cost $9.99/lb. Over 60 jars have old-fashioned “penny candy,” including many of yesterday's favorites you might recall like: Necco wafers, Bit O’ Honey, Charleston Chews, gumballs, M&Ms, Skittles, Sugar Daddys, lollipops, licorice, Tootsie Rolls, caramels, jawbreakers, jelly beans (in every color), Sourballs, Gummi Bears, Laffy Taffy, Circus Peanuts, Bullseye Caramel Creams, Mary Janes, Pixy Stix, Bottle Caps, licorice twists, and rock candy
candy collageBut that’s not all Chutters sells – there’s homemade fudge (sample tasting encouraged) and many assorted candies, plus NH souvenirs, Yankee Candles, and holiday ornaments.
Chutters has been a mainstay on Littleton’s Main Street since the late 1800's. It’s named for its original owner, Frederick George Chutter, a Congregational minister who came to Littleton to preach but resigned his ministry for the dry goods business. The store no longer sells items like that – a sweet change for everyone.

17 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Nice to find this sweet little place.

Anvilcloud said...

Does GWR hold the world record for stolen library books?

MadSnapper said...

I think i just gained 10 pounds LOOKING. wow what a candy counter. and it fits in the things in a row category of a meme i see sometimes.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What a wonderful place to visit! Glad you got to see it! blessings,Kathleen

Anonymous said...

To bad its so far away :-)
I did recognise some of the candy :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Diana said...

I'll have some toosie rolls please.. what fun, happy weekend, Diana

Cicero Sings said...

I take my Mom to a tea house when I visit her, that has rows of jars of candy. The kids love to come and choose. The couple that run it are English. The husband reminds me so much of the man in the short story of the candy shop man in the James Herriot books ... the one whose cat died. (I don't know if you ever read his books but they are a fun read.)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Yes, yes, I am familiar with all those candies... :) Sort of ages me...
My brother and his family live in New Hampshire. I didn't get to fly back this year...but I am hoping perhaps next year. It will be interesting to find out if he has heard of this store. I enjoyed your post.. :)
I followed you here from Christer's blog.
Mona

NCmountainwoman said...

Wow! I've never seen so much candy in one place.

Yesterday, in Gatlinburg, TN, a bear broke the glass and entered a candy shoppe. He apparently was really taken with the candied apples and all the other goodies. Let's hope the local bears don't find out about Chutters.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Everyone, sure wish we could indulge your collective sweet tooths. As difficult as it was NOT to want to buy a lot of sweet treats, we escaped with only sampling the fudge, including pumpkin and maple walnut, after all this is New England. Grenville did buy a cap, so we didn't escape without a purchase.

Yes Sandra, we too feel we put on weight just by looking!

Mona, you should visit your brother and his family in NH. It will be quite a change from your CA weather. Thanks for the visit and comments.

NCmountainwoman, I didn't hear about that story, but it might also be moose with sweets in mind in this area.

Connie said...

What a fun place that would be to see. Maple walnut fudge sounds yummy! :-)

Montanagirl said...

SWEET! My kind of store!

Elaine said...

My goodness, what a lot of candy! It's probably just as well we missed this store when we were in New Hampshire. I am impressed that you were able to get out of the store with just sampling the fudge!

Sara said...

I am THRILLED you got to Littleton and Chutters. Brought back fun memories. Sometimes when we visit in the summer and go in to the library in Littleton we have to deliberately avoid Chutters because it is so inviting. David says the fudge is excellent (I don't like fudge--too sweet for me). I love picking out some of the "penny" candy.:)

Carole Barkett said...

what an interesting piece of history, I'd love to visit it

Ginnie said...

I by-passed New Hampshire on my last trip...I'll have to put this down as a "must see" for the future.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sweet indeed, Daisy & Mona.

Elaine, we sampled at least one piece of all the fudge varieties before getting out of the store - at the urging of the sales person and we were only too happy to oblige!

Sara, so GLAD you liked the post - thanks for the suggestion. The fudge was very sweet so the samples were more than enough for us.

Carole & Ginnie, we recommend that you put this place down on your "to see" list of places if you get to NH.