Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rain, Rain came today.....

Well not today but last night. After a day of clouds, sun, part clouds, scary looking clouds we finally got rain about 6PM. The final total was just 1/4 inch but it came as a nice gentle soaking. So today's work is put off till this afternoon when everything dries a little.

Final harvest of the delicious Butter Crunch Lettuce and Spinach, then replanting of them and some beets, beans, and maybe corn (not sure on this yet).
Sorry no pics this morning. maybe some by the weekend.

Tomorrow is another day of Eel Grass Harvesting. http//thefrogandpenguinn.blogspot.com/2010/05/it-may-have-been-quiet-day-in-lake.html If you have not seen my past blogs click on the link or go to The Nature Conservancy @ http://www.nature.org/virginia then click on "The Worlds Largest Seagrass Restoration Project. OR you could meet me tomorrow morning at 6AM in Oyster at the Town Boat Ramp and come on out with us for a fun day in the sun (there is NO SHADE out there).

We would love the help.

9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

We had a fair rainfall the other night too. It was sorely needed.

Ginnie said...

I think you must have gotten part of the storm that hit us. It was very heavy and high winds.
I don't have much of a "green thumb" so I was glad for the assist in watering.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We really needed the rain too, Anvilcloud, even though it was not steady and long-lasting.
We might have gotten some of the same storms, Ginnie. Thankfully, there was more wind before than during the storm and no damages. Grenville is definitely more the green thumb partner here. I just dig holes and plant things and then hope for the best.

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, I just love days at the beach. :))) I'm on my way. :)))

Actually, I'm in Nassau, Bahamas, at the moment and it is overcast and rainy here, too. That's OK, rain is needed to make all of those pretty flowers bloom.

Anonymous said...

HI Folks,
Thanks for all the Good Rain Thoughts. Luckily we have a very high water table here (18" in summer/12" in winter) so the roots don't have to go far for a drink. My usual problem is too many years farming in Southern Jersey in sand that dried as you watched it. The locals claim i drown the plants.

Triumph said...

Raining here in Eugene where the 4-day NCAA championship track meet is under way. Forecast is rain all this week, just as it was last week, just as it was the week before, just as it was the week before. just as it.... At least it has warmed up to highs in the 60s. Worried the local strawberry crop will rot rather than ripen. This matters a lot. We're out of jam!

Anonymous said...

Triumph aka Austin Healy
Sounds more like you are 'in a jam' rather than 'outta jam'. Is this similar to 'being up shitz creek????' I was there once and dropped my bread. 'Landed jamside down'. not a good thing.
Time to pick the lettuce!!!!!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

The growing season hasn´t even started here where I live :-) But I do hope the last frost night has passed now. So I dared to put out two tomatoe plants and one tomatillo plant the other day. If they make it I´ll put out some more. That´s how it is to live as far north as I do :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good morning, Christer, and thanks for stopping by the Frog & PenguINN. I read your latest post and could use some cooler weather here as we are already 20+ degrees warmer at nearly 7 am. Glad to read that your foot is on the mend. You too have a good day!