Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pink, Purple and Blue

Yesterday, was a perfect day, not quite spring temps, but a dark blue beautiful sky and these pink-violet tulip magnolias were striking.pink and blue

This tree stands near the front entrance of the local YMCA. It been in bloom for over a week, so I brought my Canon digital Elph to capture the colors. (Yup, that’s me and my shadow below.)
tulip magnolia (16)tulip magnolia (12)
The tulip magnolia (Magnolia × soulangeana) is also known as saucer magnolia, which is descriptive of the goblet-shaped flowers of rose-pink flushed with violet-purple, fading to white. It blooms profusely in early spring with large pink to purple showy flowers and grows best in full sun or partial shade.
tulip magnolia (17)tulip magnolia (24)
It’s nice to be “greeted” by this beautifully colorful plant especially before starting a workout, when the weather has been anything but spring-like. More rain and maybe sleet or snow flurries coming.shadow art2

Speaking of shadows, here’s some SOOC (straight-out-of the camera) shots with LOTS of shadows and a touch of color.

It’s always so nice to have a camera along.

14 comments:

Connie said...

Lovely photos! This post made me smile. I am so ready for spring to arrive here, but we aren't quite as far along as you are there.

Anonymous said...

Magnolias are so beautiful but they all freeze to death here where I live. I've sown the two most hardy species there is and I hope that at least one of them will survive here.

Have a great day!
Christer.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Oh, I am so jealous of these bids!!?..:)JP

grammie g said...

HI B...You make me so envious ; )!!
Your tree is stunning so cheery!!
The shadow shot's are very creative, love them!!
Hope your weather remain good.. Spring is not treating the Mid-Western states to good!!
We are 45 degrees and sunny!!
Grace

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful flowers! No spring here yet.

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice i will be looking for them here, but the cold may hold them back.

barbara l. hale said...

Beautiful! I love magnolias. We have a ways to wait for ours to bloom but it will bloom and I will love it.

HermitJim said...

Very nice pictures of what the coming Spring will bring!

Beautiful flowers!

Elaine said...

Lovely flowers and a welcome touch of color!

Anonymous said...

So pretty!

MadSnapper said...

a beautiful bush and i love that last collage with the shadows. wonderful colors on these. my friend in Savannah has one, he calls it a tulip tree... but says it is a type of magnolia. here we only have the big white ones. there are two in our neighborhood, but hey are so tall i can't get photos of the magnolias, they look up to the sun

Anvilcloud said...

SOOC it to me.

Debbie said...

so beautiful!! i adore springs loveliness!!

Arija said...

I'm a great fan of magnolias too. Love your shots. They seem to do best against that deep blue background.