Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Neighborhood Scenes

Down the street from The Frog & PenguINN are a series of older buildings that have housed business including a machine shop and metal fabrication business. By themselves, the buildings are not especially notable, except when having some imaging fun with Google’s free Picasa editing program.

The original building . . .
barn origAnd, some of its locks and hinges . . .barn parts origChanged details to black and white in Picasa . . .B&W barnSame images in the warm tones of sepia . . .sepia barnNow for some really vibrant colors . . .mod colors
So, the next time you might think there’s nothing to post about, go for a walk even if it’s just around the neighborhood. Take some images and be sure to include the details. Next, if you don’t already have it on your PC or Mac, download Picasa, (free from Google) — and then have some lots of FUN.

ELPH0613 (7)FYI, all of these photos were taken with this Canon PowerShot digital Elph. It’s a very small point & shoot camera with a limited (4X) zoom. But, it’s always with me to capture anything.
Because it’s not the equipment you use, but what you SEE.
Have FUN seeing what all around you — I usually DO !

14 comments:

Linda said...

I like the woodgrain and the old hinges.

The Odd Essay said...

I use Picassa for my photos as well. Do you know if I can change the resolution? I usually change the resolution to 72 as it allows photos to load a lot faster.... currently I'm using Picasa to edit... then use Paint Shop Pro to resize. Got any suggestions? Thanks!

Elaine said...

What a neat old building, although it's probably considered an eyesore by many. It's the details you focused in on that make it most interesting. I like that old rusty padlock! I do like having a little camera that I can tuck in my purse or pocket so that I always at least have something to photograph the things that pop out at me.

MadSnapper said...

beautiful and my kind of photography and playtime...

Montanagirl said...

I've been thinking about getting a little P&S camera. Would be nice to have it in my purse for just such occasions. I like the photos and what you did with them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Sharon @ The Odd Essay, I have to admit that I don't know about resizing in Picasa cause I never looked it up. But I know it can be done when exporting photos. I mainly use Picasa to create collages or play with effects. I use Windows LiveWriter to create my posts. Sadly there is no Mac equivalent for LW.

Unknown said...

I agree there is always something to see; I tend to either forget to bring along camera or phone or get snap happy. Need to find some Picasa time sometime....

jp@A Green Ridge said...

It is what you see and how you see it!...Happy Easter!...:)JP

Connie said...

It's surprising (and fun) to see how much you can change a photo with a little bit of editing. Cool pictures!

Leonora said...

I love old buildings. I think you've captured this one perfectly. The photos are all interesting no matter which editing finish you used.

Rebecca said...

My camera does that, too. It is big fun to play with, but most time I forget!

possum said...

Looks like you had fun at the old bldg. I, too, like the parts often much better than the whole. As an entire building, it sure ain't much to look at, even playing with color or B&W doesn't help it much...
But isolating parts does.

Anonymous said...

A good photographer can take great photographs with any kind of camera! Bad photographers can't take any good photographs no matter what equipment is used :-)

I do like the close ups and the sepia-toned ones!The vibrant ones though :-) :-) :-) not my cup of tea :-)

Have a great easter!
Christer.

Anvilcloud said...

Compact cameras do have their place, especially for internet type of resolution but for many prints too.