Owls Head is a town in Knox County, Maine, incorporated in 1921. Some historians feel that the name comes from the Indian word “Mecadacut,” meaning Owls Head. Another theory is that sailors named it for for the shape of the promontory, which they thought resembled the head and neck of an owl. The town is home to the Owls Head Light and the Owls Head Transportation (more about this museum later).
Owls Head Light is on the grounds of Owls Head Light State Park, which is open to the public – the lighthouse is not. The station was built in 1826 at the southern entrance of Rockland Harbor on the west side of Penobscot Bay. Like the Rockland Breakwater light, the Owls Head Light was built to guide heavy ship traffic carrying limestone out of the area in the 1800s.The 30-foot, white cylindrical tower sits atop a tall, tree-studded promontory. In 1856, the original lamps and reflectors were replaced by a Fresnel lens that remains in use and is visible for 16 miles.
The Owls Head Light was one of the last U.S. lighthouses to be automated and was operated by lighthouse keepers until 1989. It is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard and is situated inside Owls Head Light State Park. A wood frame keeper's residence was added in 1854 and serves as housing for U.S. Coast Guard personnel. Over the years, a boathouse (1894), oil storage building (1895), bell tower (1906) and generator house were added. The boathouse and bell tower have been removed. A wooden walkway was rebuilt in 2004-05 and provides pubic access to the light.
Owls Head State Park provided beautiful vistas on a clear day.