Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Immerse Yourself…

In a good stick blender, hand blender, wand blender, or what some celebrity chefs call  it – a  boat motor.
IMG_5353This is this one handy kitchen tool.  We had an older one in our  appliance collection that was part of Grenville’s contribution when we combined household goods over a decade ago. This past fall I “discovered” it when pureeing butternut squash soup. It  was made Braun® and is shown on the left and we still have it.

But THIS week, we upgraded to a Kitchen Aid ® immersion blender. Yes, here at the F&P we have brand loyalty as far as some kitchen stuff goes – the blender, food processor, stand mixer, hand mixer are ALL Kitchen Aid and the coffee pot too. We’ve never had a problem with KA ever received a new coffee maker when there was a product recall. So, do we stick by this product line – YOU BET!

Remember that yard sale a couple of weekends ago?  Some of the dollars (and there weren’t many) went for this NEW unit.  This  week we used is to make smoothies on mornings when IMG_5351Grenville can't decide what he wants for breakfast. We just gather whatever fruit is around – blueberries, strawberries, bananas – add some milk, sugar (or honey), vanilla, a  couple of ice cubes and blend away.

Next week we’ll add yogurt because a friend told me it makes thicker smoothies. (It’s already on the shopping list.)

Here’s the blueberry – strawberry smoothies we enjoyed this morning.
smoothies 0610

11 comments:

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I don´t own a hand blender, but I really don´t know why :-) But when it comes to machines I always buy Braun! If I can´t find the thing I want made by that company I don´t by it :-) :-)

Yes yoghurt makes the smoothies much thicker.
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Christer - I can totally understand brand loyalty based on person experiences. It's the same with me for desktop computers - HP and notebook computers - Toshiba. We still have the Braun hand blender as well as the new Kitchen Aid. Possibly will use both, just for different things. Yes, we will definitely add the yogurt to smoothies this week...soon as I buy some!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Barbara, Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you return... I am enjoying yours. We weren't too far from you when we visited Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown... We actually stayed in Newport News.

I love your header.. Is that your home? Wow--how gorgeous. AND--I laughed at your comment about relatives... (So true!).... Your greenhouse is gorgeous... Can't wait to see how much beauty you will have when using it....

I love Smoothies ---and we do make ours with a cup of yogurt....

Have a wonderful day and thanks again for visiting.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anvilcloud said...

We had one of those Braunies, but I think I overtaxed it. KA seems to have a very goods rep, so you should enjoy years of wonderful smoothies.

Lois Evensen said...

My goodness, that looks good! It makes me want to run right down to the galley and make something similar. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Betsy, YEs that is a photo of our home in the header. The comment about relatives does bring a laugh. We have a small sign hanging near the front door with that wording, but since we haven't had lots of relatives come to visit and stay, it's really just for the smile value. Grenvile is quite pleased with his new greenhouse and we its main use will be to start veggies, but possibly flowers as well. We can't wait to get the yogurt and then make more smoothies!

BTW my actual first name is Dorothy (but not from Kansas, NJ instead). Thanks for dropping in, please do come back again!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi AC - the Braun unit is still working, but it may develop an inferiority complex as its stored in the same cabinet with the KA which is larger and more powerful. And we will be using it for more than just making smoothies, but right now it's such delicious breakfast fun.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Didn't mean to make you hungry, Lois, but I hear there's always food available on cruise ships.

Unknown said...

Mmmm I LOVE smoothies. I have a Braun hand blender just like the one you replaced! :o) It was one of my very first kitchen appliances oh some... many years ago. ;o)

Tina T-P said...

Oh, I want an imersion blender in the worst way - but just can't quite justify it (yet) - but I'll find a way!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. T.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Tina...you will really like this little gadget. It really is fun using it. Glad you stopped by our blog and enjoyed yours too. The sheep are cuties!