Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day 2020

Today, May 10, is celebrated as Mother's Day holiday in the U.S. It's been a number years since I visited the history of this holiday; this is a rehash and update and I wanted to share with everyone. (I'm nice that way.)

Sadly, both our mothers are deceased; Grenville's for over 45 years and mine for more than 5 years. If you're fortunate to have your mother, celebrate her everyday

(Of course, in some cases, sadly there have been mothers who may not be as fondly remembered.)


Mother's Day This 'n That

Mother’s Day has become one of the biggest holidays for consumer spending. More people buy flowers and plants than for any other holiday, except Christmas and Hanukkah.

Anna Jarvis, the woman credited founding Mother’s Day was never married and was also childless. She established the holiday to honor her mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis.

The correct placement of the apostrophe is Mother’s Day. Jarvis, was very specific — “mother’s day” is a singular possessive referring to a single mother (yours), not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers.

The U.S. Congress rejected a 1908 Mother’s Day proposal from Jarvis for a national holiday. Jarvis garnered public support and, by 1912, every state observed Mother’s Day.

President Woodrow Wilson has been called the father of Mother’s Day.

Jarvis urged people to stop buying gifts and flowers for Mother’s Day, upset that it had become over-commercialized within 6 years of the 1914 holiday proclamation

Mother’s Day marks the highest U.S. phone traffic of the year. More phone calls are made this day than any other day of the year; phone traffic often spikes nearly 40 percent.

Hallmark Card sales show that most people do not make homemade greetings as its founder had proposed.

Jarvis died in 1948 and is buried next to her mother in a Bala-Cynwyd, PA cemetery.

Way Back Where It Began

The origin of Mother’s Day pre-dates the Civil War (1861-1865). In 1868, Ann Reeves Jarvis (called Mother Jarvis) started mothers’ day clubs in West Virginia teaching women how to care for their children. Jarvis had 13 children, only 4 survived to adulthood. Epidemics were common; up to 30% of infants died before their first birthday.

These clubs became a unifying force in a region of the country still divided over the Civil War. Throughout the war, Mother Jarvis, a peace activist, had organized many women’s brigades, asking women to do all they could without regard for which side their men had chosen.
Anna Jarvis, Mother's Day Founder
After her mother’s 1905 death, Anna Jarvis considered that a Mother’s Day holiday could honor sacrifices mothers made for their children. Jarvis wanted to set aside a day to honor not only her mother, but all mothers.

The first Mother's Day was celebrated May 1908 in Grafton, West Virginia at the Methodist church where Anna Jarvis taught Sunday School. While not there, Anna sent 500 white carnations, her mother’s favorite flower, to be to represent the purity of a mother’s love and be worn by sons and daughters to honor their mothers.

Jarvis had financial backing from retailer John Wanamaker. That day, thousands attended a similar event at Wanamaker’s department store auditorium in Philadelphia, PA.

Following the success of these events, Jarvis resolved to see the holiday added to the national calendar. She started a letter writing campaign to newspapers and prominent politicians urging the adoption of a special day honoring motherhood.

In 1908, the U.S. Congress rejected a proposal to make Mother's Day an official holiday joking they would also have to proclaim a “Mother-in-law's Day.” 

In 1912, she trademarked the phrase, Second Sunday in May, Mother's Day, Anna Jarvis, Founder, and created the Mother's Day International Association to promote her cause. She appealed for public support with letter writing, country-wide promos (this was way before TV, radio and internet). Financial assistance came from backers such as retail magnate John Wanamaker and entrepreneur H.J. Heinz. 

Jarvis devoted herself full-time to the promotion of Mother’s Day and argued that U.S. holidays were slanted to male achievements. She urged the adoption of a special day to honor motherhood and recalled her mother's words, in a 1978 Sunday school lesson on Biblical, There are many days for men, none for mothers.

It worked. By 1912, states, towns and churches observed it as a local holiday. The first in 1910 was West Virginia, her home state. President Wilson signed a proclamation in 1914
President Woodrow Wilson
making Mother's Day a national holiday honoring mothers on the second Sunday in May.


What Happened Later

Commercialization, as always, flourished after Mother’s Day became a national holiday as florists and others capitalized on its popularity. By the early 1920s, Hallmark Cards, the oldest and largest U.S. manufacturer of greeting cards was marketing Mother's Day cards. There was a huge profit margin in this new holiday. 

Jarvis, at first, worked with the floral industry. Her version of the day was to wear a white carnation as a badge and visit one’s mother or attend church services. She argued that appreciation of mothers should be through handwritten letters of love and gratitude, not store-bought gifts and cards.

In retaliation, she organized Mother’s Day boycotts and threaten to issue lawsuits against companies, spending most of her personal wealth in legal fees. She railed non-stop against Mother’s Day profiteers, speaking out against confectioners, florists and even charities.

In 1923, Jarvis protested at a candy makers' convention in Philadelphia and in 1925 at a meeting of American War Mothers. Carnations, her mother’s favorite flower, had become associated with Mother's Day. Selling carnations to raise money angered Jarvis, who was arrested for disturbing the peace.

She launched countless lawsuits against groups that were using the name “Mother’s Day.” By the time of her 1948 death, she had disowned the holiday, and lobbied the to see it removed from the U.S. holiday calendar.

Today, Mother’s Day is way more popular than Jarvis imagined. Just check out any greeting card rack to find cards to honor any mom-like figure in your life.

Our Mothers before they were moms — Clara Rose & Mary Elizabeth 💐

28 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Fascinating story! Your Mothers were beautiful ladies.

DUTA said...

"If you're fortunate to have your mother,celebrate her everyday" - so very true!

LL Cool Joe said...

My mother is still here but in a care home. Happy Mother's Day to all mothers in the US!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

To tell you the truth, I always find Mother's Day a little syrupy and more than a tad synthetic with its emphasis on gifts and flowers. It completely ignores the simple truth that many mothers are not laudable. Mine was truly awful, and quite cruel at times, and I had a very dismal childhood and was removed from her three times and placed in the care of others in various forms. I left "home" when I was sixteen when I was legally able to do so, never saw her again, never had the slightest desire to, and certainly were she here I would not wish her well. Mother's Day? Bah humbug! Enjoy your children, may they mutually enjoy you too, but do it quietly without the public spectacle of it all.

Ron said...

Fascinating post! I had no idea when Mother's Day began, and by whom. I loved the part about the apostrophe because I see it spelled without it so often and wondered if I was spelling it wrong.

Being in retail, I knew that Mother's Day was a big holiday for consumer spending. Much more so than Father's Day.

"Jarvis had financial backing from retailer John Wanamaker. That day, thousands attended a similar event at Wanamaker’s department store auditorium in Philadelphia, PA."

That is so cool! I actually live very close to Wananmaker's. However, it's had many incarnations. It is now Macy's. It's such a beautiful store, unfortunately though, it's lost that "classy feel." I used to work in that store when it was Lord & Taylor's.

Thank you so much for sharing this post today. Really enjoyed it! And I love the photographs of Clara Rose & Mary Elizabeth. Such beautiful ladies!

Happy Mother's Day!

MadSnapper said...

Happy Mothers day, thee is a lot of info here i did not know. have never heard of how it started or about Jarvis. in fact all this information is new to me. Love the pics of your Moms...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After reading a previous comment, I do understand that some people do not have fond memories of their mothers or perhaps their childhood. That's a sad fact which cannot be glossed over. While I loved my mother, she endured many hard times growing up; her mother died when she was a few months old. While we did not have a very close relationship, I knew that she deeply loved her family.

Red said...

Mother's day has an interesting history. My Mom would have been 106 on May 20.

mamasmercantile said...

It was interesting to read the background to a very special day. Mother's day here in the UK is in March. Have a wonderful day.

Edna B said...

Very interesting. I did not know any of this. Your mothers are beautiful. Happy Mother's Day to you, enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Happy Mothers day though it is on a different day here in the UK, it was the 22nd of March here and because of restrictions I do not think I even visited my Mother grave that day.

David said...

Dorothy, Interesting history about Mother's Day and its founder. Sadly, the odds against her keeping the commemoration 'pure' was doomed as entrepreneurs, including some really big companies saw a chance to cash in on its popularity. The image of 'Uncle Sam' and 'The Statue of Liberty' have slid down that same muddy slope... Then again, her other problem was all the men in her way. Too bad as they all had mothers too! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Emma Springfield said...

When I was a child my father would drive us in the country to pick wildflowers for my mother on Mother's Day. Once I began to drive I took us out. I hope she enjoyed them as much as we enjoyed getting them. At least she got some time for herself while we were gone.

Graham Edwards said...

That's very interesting Beatrice. I knew nothing at all about the US Mothers' Day.Mothers' Day in the UK was originally Mothering Sunday. It is the fourth Sunday of Lent. Although it's often called Mothers' Day it has no connection with the American festival of that name. Traditionally, it was a day when children, mainly daughters, who had gone to work as domestic servants were given a day off to visit their mother and family. I'm unsure about the rest of it but, as you can tell from the date, it was probably Church inspired.

Bill said...

What a wonderful and informative post. Love the old photos of your beautiful mothers. Happy Mother's Day, Beatrice.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day! I loved reading this. Thank you!

Jon said...

I've heard the history of Mother's Day before, but forgot most of the details. Thank you for this informative and beautifully written post.
And I love the photos of your Mothers!

I hope your day was a great one!

Buttercup said...

Fascinating and what beautiful pictures. Thanks for the heads up about the spammer. I'm about to moderate comments, which I've put off doing for awhile.

My name is Erika. said...

Nice story of Mother's Day history. And I love seeing the photos of your mothers. I think the older I get, the more important that old family photos become. And I wish I knew more stories from their lives-or grandmother's lives. But that's a flaw of being young I guess. Hope you had a wonderful day and weekend. And that you both are well. Hugs-Erika

diane b said...

Lovely photos of your young mums. Interesting history. Do you still have a holiday. We celebrate on the second Sunday in may so that it always falls on a weekend.

TARYTERRE said...

this was a wonderful reminder of why we celebrate. hope you had a wonderful day.

baili said...

this was incredibly beautiful post dear Dorothy !!!

i had no idea about the origin of this lovely gesture
good to know about Anna who invented this and struggled to make it happen
i also appreciate president who declared it public holiday

i loved these both amazingly gorgeous ladies :) you both had such beautiful and kind mothers as i can feel the grace of precious faces :)

i think my mother made me what i am today and i will never forget this ,she is alive within me as powerful as she was in her life
more peace and happiness to your days ahead my friend!

Polly said...

Two beautiful ladies. This is a lovely post Beatrice, I particularly like the 500 white carnations. I think Mother's Day is very special although my mum died 11 years ago. I'm very lucky because I get two celebrations, one here in the UK in March, and again in May when my Australian daughter sends flowers.

Tara said...

Interesting history, here. The founder had no idea what she had unleashed! My mother always eschewed Mother's Day, saying it was a "Hallmark Holiday" and if we really wanted to do something for her, do some chores. I had no idea white carnations were the 'thing.' I have a neighbor who spent her first Mother's Day alone -- her son passed in February. I gave her a lovely bunch of red roses with baby's breath, telling her she will always be his mother. From one mother to another, it made me feel so good to honor her relationship with her son.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I read that Jarvis’s family members didn’t celebrate Mother’s Day out of respect to her.

Vee said...

Beautiful moms! It made me grin to think of Mrs. Jarvis's ownership of Mother's Day. She was a control freak! 😁 Personally, I am still purchasing gifts for my mother ten years gone to Glory and am happy to do so. Wish that I could have done more for her while she was here. If I had only known how large a hole she would leave in my life when she left. I miss her every day.

Connie said...

Lovely pictures of your moms! Belated Happy Mother's day to you.

SmartFella? said...

"By the early 1920s, Hallmark Cards, the oldest and largest U.S. manufacturer of greeting cards was marketing Mother's Day cards. There was a huge profit margin in this new holiday."
"Hugh Profit Margin"...How things have changed in the Greeting Card Business. My Mother used to send me to the Rosenthal's Drug Store to buy Greeting Cards. Usually they cost $.10. If the card was to be sent to a special person (her Mother), I was told to buy the expensive $.15 Card. Hard to find those prices today.