Pages

Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday Funnies

These sights were seen in downtown Nashua, NH this week along Main St.

A new business was shut down before opening and a former Nashua businessman was given protection. Both reflect new realities and those responsible sought some humor.


The artwork is a bronze sculpture of former Nashua resident, Lawrence C. Elliott. It's dressed in a suit coat, tie, and dress shirt, with a pair of eye glasses, and is placed on top of a square brick base. The sculptor was Patricia Verani, a NH native. The sculpture is listed on a Smithsonian website which listed the subject as "a businessman and philanthropist."

Despite an online search, I didn't find more information on Elliott and his Nashua ties, except that he was formerly president of the now-defunct Nashua Beef Co. That scarcity seemed unusual considering the wording on the plaque beneath the sculpture. The lone exception was a front-page obituary in an archive of the Nashua Telegraph newspaper, which was available only at a cost. (I didn't need to know more to buy it.)

Thanks to everyone who posted comments on an earlier post about virus testing and steps being taken to reopen NH businesses. I appreciated reading the information you shared about what's going on in your state or country. These are very unsettling times.

Despite relaxed restrictions in NH this week, we stayed close to home. Our only trips out were for groceries and for several walks. Barbershops re-opened with restrictions. Grenville had an appointment. He had to wait outside until called on his cell phone; his temperature was taken when he entered the shop. I have a haircut appointment next week and the same procedure is to be expected. We wonder if this is the new normal going forward.

Enjoy Your weekend, Everyone.
Weather forecast is sunny & warm, we'll be outdoors

19 comments:

DUTA said...

Well, the sculpture with the mask looks rather funny, but the mask makes it more relevant to these days.

Christina said...

Oh I envy you for your haircut appointment! I look wild.... (wild crazy). I am almost ready to use my husband's beard trimmer....

On testing, my husband mentioned this morning that his sister, a family doctor, was sent for a virus test in one of those drive-through places - 200 miles from her home. I thought that was quite funny, I can only assume the she had turned location services off on her phone. I am glad she checked if there was a closer facility.

LL Cool Joe said...

Hairdressers will not open in the UK until the end of July. Looks like I will be staying at home until then! :D
Happy Friday to you!

Anonymous said...

That Vibe Yoga photo made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that.

MadSnapper said...

that statue looks pretty tall to reach to tie the mask. it is funny in a sad way

Ron said...

LOVE the Vibe Yoga sign and masked Larry! LOL!

And it's ironic you mentioned your husband given instructions before entering the barber shop because this morning I got a video email from my dentist that had instructions on how to enter the building if you should need to come in for a visit. It was pretty much the same as you said, temperatures would be taken before entering the waiting room. Yes, I have a feeling this will be the new norm moving forward.

Warm here as well. Today it's supposed to hit 83, however the temp drops over the weekend.

Enjoy your weekend!

mamasmercantile said...

We are certainly living in strange times but better to be cautious and safe. Take care dear friend.

Linda said...

When I was visiting my orthopedic surgeon yesterday, I asked him how he was doing with this pandemic. He said work has been slow but he’s kept the office open because of his employees. The only place he goes is the grocery store other than work! He also said he wished he could cut his own hair! Mine needs it but I’m waiting another few weeks....

Emma Springfield said...

As I keep saying common sense is needed in all activities. Until this thing is under control I'll be mostly staying at home.

Connie said...

I don't think I'm going to like this new normal, but I guess we do what we have to do. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Edna B said...

We'll be opening places this way for a while, at least till we get past this virus. I'd rather be safe than sorry. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

David said...

Hi Dorothy, My wife had her first salon visit this past Monday. First person in, only 2 hairdressers working, widely separated and wearing masks. My wife was too...color and cut only. Took off her clothes in the garage when she came home and then washed up. Plenty of precautions at the salon. We've socialized a couple of times, both out doors with plenty of space and no more than 3 other people. Yesterday I received a 'rant' from a very conservative but passionate doctor who's a Major in the Army. He served in Afghanistan and at the Javits Center in NYC. His emphasis...Wear the dang masks!! Around here, too many folks aren't wearing them... Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

The sign on the yoga studio made me smile. :)

Luckily I don't have to go to a salon. I trim my long hair once in a while, and then I'm good. :)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Rita said...

Funny mask! Sign of the times.
I'm lucky with the hair. Leah usually cuts mine and it is just straight, no coloring and blunt cut so I can just let it grow and throw on a headband or tie it back when it gets long enough. I do my own nails and rarely paint them. Hummm...maybe I'll do that just for something different for fun.
The new normal.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Cute picture. I stay home and cut my own hair. I am compromised basically by age so don't take any chances.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Garden centres have just opened up here, with directional arrows on the ground, social distancing markers, and so on, but I think that has given a real boost to all the frustrated gardeners, to say nothing of some welcome revenue for the businesses. Let's hope that people respect the minor restrictions that are imposed on them, and do not give the government any reason to reimpose closures of hard-hit businesses.

TARYTERRE said...

unsettled times for sure. the added mask to the statue is apropos. stay safe.

baili said...

despite of having mask wearing faces all around mask on the sculpture looks funny dear Dorothy :)

i feel sorry to agree with your ending line that may be this is new normal world as so much on media about virus thing and it is not going anywhere but we are going to get used to it in case we survive through it

Bill said...

We only have to wear masks when we use public transit and if we are in a crowded store. I don't see me in a crwded store. When we grocery shop, the store is not crowded and I like that. Lots of nervous people everywhere.