Pages

Monday, March 2, 2020

Searching for Not Trolling

When thinking about this post, I had considered using the last word in this title. But, after checking several definitions, that seemed a poor choice, so it was changed.

What I'm searching for are new-to-me blogs to read, not necessarily follow, which isn't
Internet source

something I do even with current blogs. There's no special reason because most are written by fellow bloggers I've been reading and commenting on for several years. 

Interestingly, the word troll can be used interchangeable as a noun and a verb. As a noun it's often been used in Scandinavian folklore to refer to an often ugly-looking giant that inhabits caves or hills. 

As a verb, it was commonly used when referring to the sport of fishing as in to fish by trolling a baited line or lure through the water. It's been used in a corporate sense to describe companies trolling for new business opportunities. Here's an example of another verb in which it is similar to search. She trolled through thrift stores and flea markets looking for bargains. 

But in more modern usage, the term has an entirely different and unpleasant meaning, was it refers to social media trolls who troll the Internet.

troll usually now refers to an intentionally disruptive Internet user who has been known to bait others online. This action of baiting is now known as social media trolling, not because the people doing it are considered to be ugly looking people, but rather have ugly motives. A social media troll is anyone who purposely posts something controversial to get a reaction from others. This person often creates online discord by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. 

Internet source
Some older more mature folks among us may remember that trolls were popular toys in the early 1960s and one of the biggest toy fads in the U.S. 


Troll dolls (Danish: Gjøltrold) were created in 1959 by Thomas Dam, a Danish fisherman and woodcutter, who couldn't afford a Christmas gift for his daughter and used his imagination to carve a doll with furry up-combed hair depicting a troll. Other children in the Danish town of Gjøl saw it and wanted one. Dam's company, Dam Things, began producing dolls made of plastic under the name Good Luck Trolls, which were popular in several European countries, before being introduced in the U.S. 

They became briefly popular again during the 1970s through the 1990s and were copied by several manufacturers under different names. During the 1990s, several video games and a video show were created based on troll dolls. In 2003, the Dam company restored the U.S. copyrights for this brand, stopping unlicensed production. In 2005, the Dam company modernized the brand under the name Trollz, but it failed in the marketplace. In 2013, the brand was bought by DreamWorks Animation, which produced an animated feature film, Trolls.
Internet source

This 2016 computer-animated musical comedy film was based on the Troll dolls. In the film, the Trolls are small colorful creatures who live in an almost perpetual state of happiness, singing, dancing, hugging, and having fun all day. They are discovered by the Bergens, large ugly miserable creatures, who feel happy by eating a Troll. The film follows two trolls who go on a quest, to save their village from destruction by the Bergens. The film received positive critic reviews and grossed $346 million worldwide against its $125 million budget. A sequel, Trolls World Tour, is scheduled for release in April 2020.

More digression and now back to the original purpose of this post. I would appreciate if fellow bloggers could let me know about blogs you enjoy reading. I already read several blogs which others also read. Feel free to post your suggestions in a comment to this post. Thanks in advance.

Now for your entertainment, here's a popular song from the Trolls film. Spoiler alert: this video features folks happily dancing around similar to those in another pop tune, Happy, by Pharrell Williams.

Can't Stop the Feeling was written, produced and performed by Justin Timberlake. It was a #1 hit in 17 countries, including the U.S. and Canada. 

Hope this tune put you in a happy mood — It always does that for me.

14 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It is easy for me to get trolling mixed up with trawling. I think it could be used though.

Jon said...

What an interesting and informative post. It's amazing (and sometimes annoying) that the original meaning of so many words have changed over the years.
I remember when those little troll dolls were popular and I might still have one or two of them.I'll have to look through my boxes of old stuff.

MadSnapper said...

I have not heard this song and I love it. I will be adding it to my exercise list. I have about 20 that I use for exercise. this one is perfect. the first thing I thought of when I started to read, was the new word meaning for trolling. even the police troll on the intenet to catch the evil trollers.
we did have a few of those ugly trolls from the 60's. my kids were born in 65 and 67.
one of the ways I found new blogs, was by looking at the sidebars of blogs I follow, a lot of bloggers have a list of who they follow... I don't search for new since I barely keep up with my own followers.

Michelle said...

Love this song and video.

Edna B said...

I love those little troll dolls. And I really enjoyed the video. Thank you for sharing. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

p.s. Sometimes I find another new blog to read by checking out the ones listed on the side of other blogs.

Christina said...

It is really fascinating how language is evolving, isn't it? I sometimes wish I had studied languages instead of science because I love words and how we use them. Internet trolls are maybe relatives of those nasty creatures under bridges (those from ancient stories).

Christina said...

I forgot to mention a blog I read regularly, one I think you might enjoy. It is Barbara's Coastal Ripples at https://coastalripples.blogspot.com/

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I also find new blogs by looking at others' reading lists. :)

Rita said...

Happy, happy song! Never heard it before but really loved it.
I still have an original little troll doll and a larger one that must be 6 inches high with shorter hair. And I have all the little outfits I hand made for them out of felt from a pattern that came out at the fabric store. I believe I got mine when I was nine years old in 1960--the perfect age for troll dolls! :)

Kathy said...

I have a lot of nice blogs on the side bar of my site. You can click on any of them. Trolling, huh?

Valerie said...

I am still unsure about the word troll. I thought it had gone out of fashion. I sometimes get what I call 'unwanteds' and thought that was yer another name for the troll. Fortunately I dispose of them before they can write anything on my blog.

Connie said...

I remember playing with those Troll dolls. We made clothes for them and sometimes braided their hair. :) I like the song and video--day brighteners, for sure!

jennyfreckles said...

Hi, thanks for finding my blog and leaving a comment. It's always nice to meet someone new. I've been following the same blogs for years and rarely venture to new ones, so perhaps that is something I should consider too. By all means, pop mine on your side bar, and I'll do the same for you.

William Kendall said...

I've had too much experience with the internet version of trolls.