Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Virus, Spammers, & Spring

Online source - Amazon
As if humans didn't have enough issues with a virus affecting so many people worldwide. There's the lurking potential of other viruses that can seriously disrupt and affect computers and other equipment.

As we all know, in these uncertain times, more people are working from home and using a combination (or all) of their computers, tablets, cell phones.

This increases the potential for infection, it's far greater because, unlike human contact, there is no social distancing. Now, more people are in self-isolation and, being social creatures, want to share information, humor, etc.

Online free clipart
But, potential danger lurks in sharing too much online or through emails and messages. 

Yes, blogger friends, it's from those dreaded internet and trolls, called spammers, which many of us have been exposed to and intensely hate dislike.

These unscrupulous lurkers are like moths to a flame and apparently have nothing good or better to do than annoy.
This rant post could bring a sudden spam onslaught to my comments (as has happened before). It's a risk worth taking. I'm on great terms with the delete function and never hesitate to use it, as often as needed.

This week, I received a separate email and text messages from two trusted friends. These friends sent the same info to other folks. 

I know my friends' well and that their intent was to share some humor and not to infect anyone's equipment. I immediately deleted the messages and contacted my friends to ask them not to include my email/phone on any future emails/messages. I explained the reason for my request and why it was important to let them know. 

Coincidentally, before reaching my friends, I received forwarded messages from someone included in the original group email/text. Neither was opened and both were deleted on receipt. if I don't recognize the sender's name, the message goes to Trash and the trash is deleted/emptied. On my cell phone, any number not recognized is blocked.

Recently, my blog comments have been spammed numerous times by two spammers whose IDs won't be included here as all their Trash has been deleted. The most recent incident was this morning when there were numerous spams on recent posts from the same source, all deleted now. 

Many bloggers choose to moderate comments, which can be helpful in preventing any spammer comments. However, I prefer to self-moderate. All comments are checked daily and inappropriate (trash/spam) is immediately deleted.

As mentioned earlier, I'm good and unmercifully quick with the delete function. On a more upbeat train of thought . . .

Spring is here today, March 19, in the USA
Happy 1st Day of Spring in all U.S. time zones. 

That may be according to the calendar, but here in NH, we had some early a.m. light snow today.

Maybe, like me, you learned that the spring equinox, (when day and night are roughly the same length) would occur on either March 20 or March 21.

While the equinox has historically fallen on one of those dates. This is the first time in 124 years that the 1st day of spring is on March 19 nationwide, regardless of time zone. For much of the last century, it's occurred on March 20 or 21. The last time spring arrived this early was 124 years ago in 1896. 

If you're planning ahead, Summer arrives June 20, 2020.

9 comments:

DUTA said...

My computer is old and cold, and gives me headaches sometimes.
As for spammers ,almost none, because of Blogger moderation.
However, until lately I had a fearful experience with certain company ads that appeared on my... dashboard (not in my comments section). I felt at loss. did nothing about it. Maybe Blogger did. I don't know. Haven't seen them lately. Hope they're gone for good.

Jon said...

During my many years of blogging I've had my share of spammers, viruses, and loony people - - which is the sole reason I use Comment Moderation.
And, like you,I always delete any email whose sender I don't recognize.It's better to be safe than sorry.

It's 75 degrees here in TN on this first day of spring.

Kathy said...

I just got a nasty comment on my blog this afternoon and immediately deleted it. Fortunately it had been up for only an hour so I hope not a lot of people saw it. I have trouble with spam, but check my comments every day so hopefully they will get tired of it and leave me alone. People have nothing better to do with their time.

Rita said...

There have been more blogger spammers recently than I have had in a long time. There was a rash of them a few years back and I put on the comment moderation and have kept it on. Seems like there is always a random spam comment here and there but more this year. More Russian bots? Who knows. I am the same. If I don't recognize a comment or can't link to see if it is a genuine new person--I don't open them. I get the occasional email, too. Don't recognize--delete. Like we don't have enough to deal with--ROFL! ;)

Valerie said...

I too use comment moderation. I had a questionable male who thought he could get into my blog by commenting.

Anvilcloud said...

No moderation here. I think it is silly to have to approve every comment every time.

I only get the very occasional bit of spam.

MadSnapper said...

I go through short periods of getting spam on the blog and do what you do, make it spam and delete. a few weeks ago I had 36 spam comments on each of my two blogs. took me forever to delted them all but I did. I don't like to moderate either. my email is full of spam and tricksters. I just delete as they come in. one of my most detested things is GROUP messages on FB and GROUP text. I deleted the whole thing. and sometimes on FB just remove me from the group... no matter how many times I tell people I don't want group anything I still get them. I have started deleting and not replying at all. and I don't take forwards. any forward is deleted without reading it. some forwards come to messenger, I delete without reading. I don't do copy paste stuff either and if sent that delete it.

Connie said...

I use the comment moderation because that is what works the best for me.

Happy spring, Dorothy!

Karen Lakis said...

Well - you were kind to cross out the word "hate"... I try to keep an eye on spammers. I don't use comment moderation, but find that whatever service my blog uses does a pretty good job of determining spam.