Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Where in the world are Grenville & Beatrice?????

Well if you read the entry before this you know where we are. The fun we’ve been having began on the trip down. We love to save a dollar here and so on our stop at the South Carolina Visitor Center on I-85 we picked up a discount room saver book. Most times we have been happy with the discount accommodations we find, well maybe not the one where Beatrice found a roach on her pillow, but we usually are. This time Beatrice spotted one for $29.99 in Charlotte. So instead of stopping in Greensboro, which is the halfway point, we trudged on the extra 2 hours.

Now the room was just so-so but the included entertainment was really something. We probably should have known we were in for a treat after reading that there were NO REFUNDS AFTER 15 MINUTES. Or by some of the more ‘unique’ looking characters of the cast.

After taking our lives in our hands going across the street to ‘Sugars’, for dinner and then back again, we noticed that the door to the room back to back with ours was open and the lights were on. Just the same as when we left. AND the same guy was sort of pacing around near it, and some young lady was fixing (or maybe re-fixing) herself in the mirror. BUT who really knows what goes on (wink,wink).

Once back in our room we were treated to a philosophical dissertation on life by some black sounding gent. I was amazed that for the duration of this diatribe he never stopped to take a breath. AND this part of our entertainment went on for well over an hour. I did wonder if there was anyone else in attendance but since Beatrice and i were comfy and tired we decided to forego finding out.

Next was a wonderfully heated argument from above us, complete with breaking glassware and crashing bodies. The climax was a splendid aria by the lead soprano directing to her fellow player to ‘get the f*** out’. With a slam of a door it was all over. We were a little disappointed that there were no encores.

While checking out, and conversing with the office Grey Parrot, we found out that if we had sprung for a few extra bucks down the street, we could have enjoyed live weapons discharges. BUT we opted for the savings since we get to listen to our intrepid hunters culling the deer population every evening at home.

Our final leg of the trip was interrupted by a detour to IKEA, not that we needed anything but as the bumper sticker says “We Brake For IKEA”.Once on the road again we ambled along, slowed by the usual day before Thanksgiving traffic.

Tomorrow, the saga of the Turkey Extravaganza.

13 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

I think we'll stick to Hampton Inn. ;)

grammie g said...

Hi Folks...you have me in stitches,laughing my fool head of. The funniest post I have read in a long time!!
Nothing like a cut rate and free entertainment!!
lol : }

HermitJim said...

Nothing like the joys of travel ! Or inexpensive rest stops!

Anonymous said...

To bad You missed the weapons discharges, nothing makes You sleep like listening to something like that :-) :-) :-) But then again, You had entertainment anyway :-) :-) :-)

I´m glad nothing happened to You!
Are they selling Julmust at Ikea in the states yet?

Have a great day now!
Christer.

possum said...

Thanks for reminding me why I spend $200 a night for my room when I go away. I really don't like that kind of entertainment. Give me my jacuzzi, a sitting room with a fireplace, high tea at 4 and the paper under my door at 5 AM. Yes.
I can't imagine risking one's life for a few dollars.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kids,
Lois, you have no sense of adventure. Glad i gave you a laugh Grammie. The secret of life is to have fun and laugh alot. Hey Crister, we are hoping for some new and different entertainment tonight. I had to look up what Julmust was, but i don't remember seeing it there. Here the seasonal drink is Eggnog(can't get enough of it). Poor Possum, you have to put more escitment in your life.... Mine came Friday evening when i got to play with Daisy, a 4 month old possum who was found trapped in a swimming pool skimmer. She is now a permanant resident of the Chatahoochie Wildlife Center.

Kjell T. Evensen said...

I had a good time reading your story.;-) Did you guys check for drilled hole in the walls in the bathroom? ;-) Woo hoo! Over the many years my wife and I have been traveling in US and abroad things have happened to the extent that I’m glad my wife, our “Cruise Director”, has chosen Hampton Inn. I love their afternoon cookies and we haven’t found any creepy crawler thingies to sleep with or possibly bring home from Hampton Inn.

Happy travels, my friends,
Kjell

Out on the prairie said...

I have had fairly good luck with the books. One place I had similar even came with an ambulance coming to take away the woman screaming for her boyfriend to let here back in.Too bad it was the wrong room .I just dial 911 instead of the desk when they ignore rules.

Elaine said...

Having stayed in a few cheapie hotel rooms in the past, we've decided we will happily pay a bit more for the added comfort, not to mention the "free" entertainment you got. I did enjoy your account of your adventure though, but then those kind of events always are much better in the telling than the actual experience.

FAB said...

Well they do say "You get what you pay for!" Thanks for giving me a good laugh. FAB.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

When I rest my head on a pillow, I want to know that it's clean...and if by chance I fall asleep..I want to be secure in the knowledge that I will awaken in the same physical condition I fell asleep in, just more rested, opt to spend a little more and be comfortable....Ginny

Carole Barkett said...

The most entertaining read I've had in quite a while :O)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the great advice. Kjell, i hope i had my good side facing the camera. Our new decision is to let me make the reservations at either Days Inn, Comfort Inn, or Best Western.
But i will miss the entertainment.