Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

It’s From the Garden – the Answers

These guessing games may not be such fun for folks who don’t have a garden because to if we didn’t have a garden, I would NOT be able to identify the plants with their flowers.But since we do have the garden, it provides unique (and fun for me) photo ops.

THE ASNWERS:  Herbs 3 – veggies 2.

The first one was Rosemary.

Next one was Basil.

Then came parsley. Sorry, there’s no photo of the parsley leaves as this is the herb that black eastern swallowtail butterflies caterpillars really enjoy. An entire plant can be eaten within a day. One morning, we found a dozen of these caterpillars on the parsley. Butterflies are nice, but not when they eat all the parsley.

This berry is from our asparagus crop. Christer was correct.

This last one is a carrot top.

Once again, (because he got at at least one correct), the winner is Christer, our Swedish blog friend from The cottage by Cranelake. As before, we don’t expect him to come and pick up his veggie prize, so we will once again donate to friends.

THANKS to All – next time, maybe insects or flowers?

5 comments:

Elaine said...

Hmmm, I have parsley and basil growing in a pot on my deck and have grown rosemary in the past, but I guess they usually don't get to the flowering stage. I have brought the pot in to grow indoors for a while in the fall. I have not had a problem with any caterpillars on the parsley either. As for the carrots, I have grown them too, but I don't believe I have ever seen them flower. We have a short growing season so that may explain that. Asparagus does not grow here, and I don't like asparagus so I wouldn't grow it even if it did. This was fun, even if I couldn't ID anything. Congrats to Chister. At least he got one.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

So it was Rosemary :-) I wrote that first but then I got the idea that the flowers appered together with the leafs :-) :-) Well I´m glad I got one right :-) I´ve never managed to grow basil so that I ever have seen the flowers :-)
This was fun!
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Unknown said...

I never knew that butterflies and caterpillars were that voracious that they could take down the entire plant in a day! Gardening joys and trials...I missed guess, would have gotten about 3 correct...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Elaine, the rosemary flowers appear on tip of the plant leaves which I removed for purposes of this "quiz" and also remembered not to add file names this time :-) The caterpillars here have decimated our parsley for several years and so we now don't feel badly removed them. We do like asparagus but our small crop is only in its second year and we have to wait until next year to harvest it.

Christer, as I told Elaine, you are correct in that the flowers DO appear with the leaves, so we can count that as another correct one for you! The basil has really been growing well this year after a slow start. The butterflies do not seem to eat that herb.

Pat, while we have butterflies munching on our herbs, you have deer dining on your roses. It's odd that there is a wooded area just past our home and our garden is not fenced, but we have not had a problem with any deer or rabbits which are in the yard and seem to prefer munching the clover instead.

Anvilcloud said...

Phew! Glad that's all settled.