- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 2-4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained (about 1 ½ pounds)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1-2 small green peppers, chopped
- ½ C fresh basil, chopped (if available)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup pitted black olives, sliced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano – fresh, if available
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream OR half & half
- 1 unbaked pastry shell
- ½ C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 C shredded mozarella
Peel eggplant and cut into small pieces. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 20 minutes – cover with paper towels and weight down (large cans of crushed tomatoes work well).
Squeeze moisture from eggplant. Sauté the eggplant in a small amount of olive oil adding a little more oil, as needed Add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste.
Put eggplant mixture in colander and drain well (2-3 minutes).
Heat skillet and sauté the peppers and onions in the oil slowly until soft; add basil, garlic and tomatoes and sauté together for a few minutes.
Add the olives (if using), salt, pepper and oregano. Cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Beat eggs and cream in a bowl until mixed. Sprinkle some of the cheeses on the bottom of the pie shell. Spread the eggplant mixture next. Add more of the cheeses.
Pour the egg mixture over the eggplant and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 300 degrees and bake for 30 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve in wedges, hot or cold.
(To seed tomatoes, halve the tomatoes horizontally, hold each tomato half over a bowl and squeeze to remove seeds.)
- Preparation time is at least 1 ½ hours
- Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust works fine when time is short
- Substitute canned tomatoes if needed – but DRAIN well
- Reduce cream amount to 1 cup and eggs to 3, if desired
- Drain vegetables and filling as stated or you get a soggy crust
- To seed tomatoes, halve horizontally, hold each tomato half over a bowl and squeeze to remove seeds.
Mangia & Divertirs !