In this version, draining and squeezing the zucchini makes it less moist but also less sweet. Serve with or without butter. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- 1 lb zucchini (2 cups when drained)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ¾ C flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 C sugar
- ½ C vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grated rind of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 C chopped walnuts or pecans or golden raisins (optional)
- Wash, trim and coarsely grate zucchini; salt, drain and squeeze dry. You should have 2 cups of zucchini.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and oil. Mix in lemon rind (if using), lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients and stir in zucchini. Add nuts/raisins if using.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake (350° oven) for 55-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.