Pages

Monday, January 15, 2024

Appreciation

The number of comments on a previous post about a change for future posts was overwhelming. Quite simply 
thank you to everyone for the comments which were appreciated as I was uncertain about sharing details in the post. Thanks also to those who shared similar situations.

Certainly, the situation described was uncomfortable, and as stated there was no right or wrong. Despite no harm was intended, some folks were rankled at what they perceived was an error on my part. Although at first resisting a reversal, I soon realized that taking a stance wasn't worth any further discord. As stated, family have never read our posts except when sent a link. So, another lesson learned was not only exclusion, but to not send a future link. Thankfully, there's been no repercussions.

In sharing my own situation and hearing about those of some others, I learned, once again, that bloggers are a wonderfully supportive community, who leave positive and uplifting comments when most needed. You rightly should be proud of yourselves.

However, recently there have been a few instances in which a fellow blogger (other than myself) has received some disparaging comments following a post. It was heartening to read that after sharing the incident that other bloggers rallied to offer their support.

Acceptance and understanding without being derogatory is what it's all about for myself and others. We all have differences, not every post will generate a response. In which case, it's far better not to do something akin to what Alice Roosevelt Longworth famously said: If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me.

Alice Roosevelt
These words have long been credited to the
 long-time Washington socialite known for her caustic remarks. Alice Roosevelt was born in NYC in 1884 to Alice Hathaway, a banking heiress and Theodore Roosevelt, a New York State Assemblyman and later a U.S. President. Two days after her birth, her mother died of undiagnosed kidney failure. Her father remarried in 1886. She was raised by her father and stepmother and later had five half-siblings.

Of her quotable comments, the most famous reportedly found its way onto a pillow on her settee. Other quotes often attributed to her include: You can't make a soufflé rise twice; The secret to eternal youth is arrested development and perfects most aptly, My specialty is detached malevolence. She was seemingly not the kindest individual.

Thumper in 1942 film, Bambi
Perhaps, a much better quotable saying is this one: If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. These words have various sources, but are best known as coming from the fictional cottontail rabbit character, Thumper, in the classic 1942 Walt Disney animated film, Bambi. It was released by RKO Radio Pictures, based on the 1923 novel Bambi, a Life in the Woods by Felix Salten. In the film, characters are Bambi, a white-tailed deer; his parents, his friends Thumper, a skunk, Flower, and his future mate, Faline.

In the film, there's a scene when Thumper, is corrected by his mother after he makes a rude comment about baby Bambi. In reply to his mother asking, Thumper, what did your father tell you this morning?, Thumper bashfully replies, If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say nothin’ at all. 

Charlie Brown & Snoopy
Good advice that seems harder to follow in a digital age when it is easier to be 
abusive to others online. Especially when the interface between people is a computer screen. In some cases, it has caused some people to abandon all social media, fearful of others’ harsh terms they've found it easier to give up.

It's sad when thoughtless words negatively impact others. Hopefully, we can continue to be supportive with thoughtful comments — or silence when nothing meaningful can be said.

25 comments:

Bijoux said...

I have been stunned a few times, reading the disparaging comments people have written on blogs I follow. I try to steer clear. And now that we are entering another presidential campaign, I will be avoiding all posts related!

I’m glad you’ve received so much support and I’ve also felt very supported and ‘heard’ over the past year. XO

Barbara Rogers said...

I guess I'm sticking my neck out when I write about politicians. Oops. One day I may get slammed back. But so far I've just found like thinking bloggers who are in agreement.

gigi-hawaii said...

You have my sympathy. Sometimes, it's best to keep the peace than not to. One of my sisters doesn't want her face on my blog so she steps out of the picture when it's being taken. In the past, I deleted posts that revealed too much and were embarrassing. Such is life. Just go with the flow.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think it's far too facile to say that if you can't say anything nice say nothing at all. One may be polite in tone, but certain things need to be called out. Would anyone say that we should not disparage Putin because we have nothing "nice" to say about him? If people engage in commentary that challenges my fundamental value system I will not hesitate to respond. Would anyone seriously believe that words of condemnation should not be spoken or written about Charles Manson or Ted Bundy, about some politicians, about loud-mouthed sports figures with over-inflated egos? As for family, they can be the worst of all!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Let me just add one more comment if I may. If I have to modify my behaviour with family members "to keep the peace" it is just not worth it. I doubt that they would reciprocate (and I don't wish them to) and if a relationship is based on "keeping the peace" it is by definition devoid of the fundamental qualities that make that relationship worthwhile.

MadSnapper said...

the only social media i like is blogging, all the others i just can't take the bickering and snide comments. I am outspoken and often say things I should not. I am quick to apoligize if I notice. I have a few times looked at a comment and deleted it. I don't say bad things I just give my opinion and that is not always good. I would never intentionally say anything to hurt someone. I do and always will avoid talking politics, even with my husband, we are in opposite corners on almost everything. I once hurt someones feelings by saying I would never paint my house red, white and blue. I had posted a photo of one near our house. it did not go well with someone.
humans are just, Well HUMANS

Sandra said...

I happy that it all settled down in the family.

Anvilcloud said...

Thankfully, most blogs, or at least the ones that I follow, are pretty safe places. I admit, however, that every now and then, I get wee bit triggered when I stray into the comment sections on other social media. I generally avoid the comments, but occasionally . . .

Jeanie said...

I hope your family members had the opportunity to read the comments on that post. But I so agree with you about the community of bloggers. It's one thing to disagree with something; another to be cruel, mean or abusive about it in a comment or in person. Although today's political world and social media seem not to get that message.

David said...

Hi Beatrice, I've always wondered what would be the one thing that might destroy humanity. Would it be power hungry politicians, religious conflict, greed, environmental collapse or pestilence? I'm beginning to think that our destruction may come from the Internet and it's negative consequences. The term "detached malevolence" fits perfectly. False or fake news with inflammatory claims or news, hateful statements and faceless 'rudeness' all blend to create animosity and fear. My favorite example is our local "Nestdoor" Facebook form of 'communication'. Nastiness, incorrect or false claims and information plus 'neighborly' backbiting... Almost any casual question posed or 'news' passed on can and does frequently lead to negativity from someone else. Its all a bit of a downer. Now with AI, the Internet can really become an even more challenging source of negativity and destruction. Upbeat aren't I? Just my opinion. Take Care and enjoy the snow! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave (FYI, Berlin MD was a bit of a pleasant surprise for us too)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Interesting post.
Reading comments left by others, I realize just now, I rarely read them. If the blogger asks a question about something, then I sometimes read the comments before me to see if there's an answer already. Otherwise, I miss comments that aren't kind.
Reading comments left on news articles, now that is a different story. There are some brutally frank folks out there that don't hold back, no be nice filter whatsoever.

Emma Springfield said...

Please be kind to yourself. You have every right to your own opinions just as others have every right to theirs. If feelings are hurt you only have to decide which is more important to express... their feelings or yours. Just remember we still love you anyway.

Rita said...

That's why I am only a blogger and left other social media before half of it existed--lol! I do watch YouTubers or Vloggers. But I don't generally read other's comments and stay away from the videos that get into controversial subjects. I already know what I think and avoid opposing unchangeable minds --my sister's included. We just agreed decades ago not to discuss religion or politics. I prefer peaceful, safe places to spend my time with kind and loving people. ;)

photowannabe said...

I am glad I am part of a community of bloggers that is kind and interested in my mundane happenings of life. I really try to avoid the "ugly".
Once in a while a RANT is needed..venting in a Safe Place is helpful.
I totally agree with Thumper !!
Keep on posting..I love your blog.
Sue

Marie Smith said...

I agree with your final sentence!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Again, I totally agree. I did not know about Alice. Nor did I know about the Thumper quote. And Thumper has been one of my very favorite characters! What a lot I just learned! More people should follow this advice, and not say anything mean unless it is absolutely required.

DUTA said...

One of the above commenters (Anvilcloud) used a phrase I like - "pretty safe places". I think my blog and the blogs I follow are pretty safe places where no one gets hurt. No reason for mean behavior in bloggy land.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

One of the main reasons I have "comment moderation" set on my blog is so that I can pre-screen comments before they are published. It is primarily for those spammers that want to advertise their sometimes questionable products through their websites...I delete them before they arrive on the scene. But if there is a commenter that shows up with only negativity then I also reserve the right to not publish the comment if I think it will be abusive to anyone reading my blog. I try to keep it a very pleasant and positive place, but there are always those who like to muddy up the waters, so to speak. One may call it censorship, but again, I feel like if it is my blog and my space, I have the right to keep it "clean and suitable" for all visitors. I enjoy blogging and making new friends, but just like making in friends in person, I believe we still should be selective in who we hang around with as negativity can rub off on us! I always enjoy visiting you because I always learn something new when I come here! Thank you for being a good kind of friend to have! :)

My name is Erika. said...

Writing negative comments is really a lot of effort and doesn't do anyone any good. And the receiver of those words will probably just feel upset or even hurt. But some people seem to get off on being angry or cranky. That's really sad when there are so many big things we should be more concerned about. Thanks for saying this though. It needs to be said. hugs-Erika

Rob Lenihan said...


You give some excellent advice about saying nice things.

I've cut down on my political commentary lately as I think it only adds more noise to an already deafening climate.

Please know that you've got my full support.

Michelle said...

I am sorry that you have had to deal with this unpleasantness. You are entitled to your own opinion.

photowannabe said...

I saw your question on my blog about postal rates and eBay.
We always have the buyer pay the shipping. We are careful to state the weight, size of the box and get the Postal Office's recommendation for the cost. It also depends on the buyer's location. We make nothing on the shipping and eBay does charge a fee for our posting and doing photos on each item. Its worth it since where eles would I get seen across the entire USA? We don't do international because I don't want to deal with customs and money exchange, since we are not a business but just "garage sale" sellers.
Sue

DeniseinVA said...

I am very thankful for the blogging family we have here. Generally people can say things without being unkind. I'm so sorry you had this unpleasant experience. We all know what lovely people you and Patrick are, but the plain truth is we can't please everyone. There's always going to be someone who will say something that hurts and that's just who they are. I once read that if you say nothing to unkind people, then you are giving them permission to be unkind again. Having had this experience I have always 'kept the peace' and yet shriveled with cutting remarks. I decided several years ago to avoid these people as much as I could. Life really is too short to deal with them. No burning of bridges but just putting up the barricade for a while does help to put the balm around one's heart. Keep blogging my friend, we your friends, love you out here.

baili said...

life is never perfect and for all rule is equally true dear Dorothy .blogging is part of life as well .it hurts when one finds sudden personal attack for no reason he or she has given to anyone but this is how negative people do to make you feel bad so they can feel good for while at least .

i have managed to do what is in my reach to avoid negativity .i am sure with your wisdom you will find way to deal with this skillfully as i can see you have already .

hugs and blessings

Debby said...

I am often astonished at the comments people make on blogs posts. I don't get that. I may offer up a different opinion, but I don't believe that I've ever argued. I have never had the problem on my blog, but I've made up my mind that if one commenter attacks another (or me), they will be deleted without comment. To me, the people that do this are doing it to provoke. They want a response, and if they don't get it, they'll eventually wander away.