Pages

Friday, June 2, 2023

Friday Funnies

Continuing with the theme of the last post, What's Happening Here, this is a very local funny for today's smile.
It shows what could happen if someone stayed too long in the mill apts underground parking.
One thing is certain, Bob, a member of the maintenance crew, who uses this sweeper for garage cleaning, definitely has a sense of the absurd. Maybe, this fellow should have eaten more donuts, especially today.

Today, June 2, is celebrated as National Donut (or Doughnut) Day in the U.S. and some othercountries. It's marked annually on the first Friday in June, and dates to June 1938 when it began as a fundraiser for the Chicago Salvation Army to help people during the great Depression and to honor their members who served doughnuts to soldiers during WW I.

After the U.S. entered WW I, the Salvation Army after a fact-finding mission to France concluded that the needs of American enlisted men could be met by canteens/social centers (huts) serving baked goods. It was hard to provide fresh baked goods from huts set up in abandoned buildings near the front lines, and two Salvation Army volunteers came up with the idea of providing doughnuts, which were popular with the soldiers. The women who served them became known by servicemen as Doughnut Girls. 

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
A rainy one is forecast for Nashua, NH

24 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That weight-loss diet worked really well.

Anvilcloud said...

There is some skullduggery going on here. 😄

Rita said...

He really has a good sense of humor! :)

Latane Barton said...

Ha ha. I love a good laugh.

Bijoux said...

Looks like a fun ride! I do love a good doughnut.

William Kendall said...

I've always been indifferent to doughnuts.

MadSnapper said...

first time hearing about the doughnut girls. and my son Dan would love Bob. he has skeletons all over his home and garage and workshop.

DUTA said...

It seems everything's got a celebratory day, why not Doughnuts Day?

gigi-hawaii said...

I just love the Salvation Army. They are everywhere helping people in distress. I admire and respect them so much.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Weekend!
An ice coffee from Dunkin and a donut will be a nice weekend treat.

Emma Springfield said...

I know that guy!!!

Kathy said...

Looks as if that guy should have taken a break and eaten a doughnut!

Red said...

Well, I like donuts so donut day suits me.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Now I want a donut. Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure where I'll find a good fresh one around here. LOL. That poor guy in the basement needs some donuts for sure. He's all skin and bones...well, bones anyway...LOL. Fun post, as always. Happy Friday! I didn't know today was national donut day or I would have gone out and found some for sure.

DeniseinVA said...

That would give you a double take and how fascinating about the donuts. We sometimes treat ourselves to a donut on Saturday morning. Thanks for another Friday Funnies and interesting post. You two have a great weekend!

nick said...

Well, I guess this unfortunate man rang a call centre and was put on hold and he's still holding.
I'm not keen on doughnuts myself but yes, they must have been easier to provide than fancier pastries.

Lee said...

Ummmmmm....I wouldn't mind a doughnut or two right now!! :)

Enjoy your weekend, Beatrice...take care.

Rob Lenihan said...

Donuts for all hands!

CrystalChick said...

Bob sounds like a fun guy. Didn't know the history of Donut Day, thanks! There are a couple bakeries not too far from us that make good cream filled ones.
Hope you're enjoying the weekend.
~Mary

David said...

Beatrice, Nothing like a bit of macabre humor! Some local wag here has whole string of skeletons set up like a parade. It's highly photographed despite being on a side road. Dang! I missed donut day!! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Veronica Lee said...

Love the humour!

I enjoyed the history of Donut Day.

Hugs and blessings, Dorothy

Lowcarb team member said...

Great humour :)
Oh dear! I missed Donut Day and I do have a low carb recipe for donuts too!

Enjoy your June days.

All the best Jan

Carola Bartz said...

That guy could certainly have eaten a couple more donuts!
I didn't even know that there is something like National Donut Day. Good thing I'm not a big fan of them (but give me chocolate anytime, just not on a donut)

baili said...

learning the history of doughnut day made me smile dear Dorothy
and your description of one who spends much time in parking made me laugh lol

witty humor indeed :)

thank you for delightful sharing my friend!