Pages

Monday, June 19, 2023

Blogger Changes Coming?

Just wondering, how many other bloggers also received this email from Google in recent days?

Hi XX
You’re receiving this email because you’ve viewed Album Archive recently or you may have some content that is visible in Album Archive. Starting on July 19, 2023, Album Archive will no longer be available. We recommend that you use Google Takeout to download a copy of your Album Archive data before then.

Today, Album Archive lets you view and manage album content from some Google products within Album Archive. However, some content that’s only available in Album Archive will be deleted starting July 19 including

1. Rare cases like small thumbnail photos and album comments or likes
2. Some Google Hangouts data from Album Archive
3. Background images uploaded in the Gmail theme picker prior to 2018

If you would like to access this data, please make a copy of this data using Google Takeout. After Album Archive is no longer available, you can still use those Google products to view and manage some content directly – learn more.

Thank you, Your Album Archive team
________________________________________
So — Does receipt of this email mean images in blog posts need to be exported very soon . . . so many ?s

This concern led to an hour or so of online sleuthing this weekend and then to the Blogger Help Community. The first post below by User 5777573509985063752 was labeled as a trending issue, as expected, it resulted in numerous comments from other Google users and replies from Adam, a Diamond Product Expert. (The user IDs are exactly as posted in the Help community.) Some of the longer comments have been shortened.

Blogger and Google Album Archive closing, w
here are Blogger photos stored?
Google Album Archive is closing in a few weeks. Just looked in there and it seems that’s where all Blogger pictures are stored. Does that mean on the 19th we won’t have any pictures on any of our blogger blogs? Or is that just a backup and the blog photos the blogs use are stored elsewhere?

Adam, Diamond Product Expert:
There are, understandably, a number of questions about this today, so I have merged them into this rollup thread. A new storage scheme is in the works. This transition is supposed to happen automatically; we'll see how that goes. Some images may need to be moved "manually," which means downloading them (if you need to) and uploading them again.

Google will notify you of any images that need manual action. Google clearly expects to be able to do this automatically for most images and has done that once before, when it moved Blogger images from Picasaweb into the Album Archive.

If you only need to download a small number of images, your browser probably has a "save image as" option. Otherwise, you can use Google Takeout. Beware of images uploaded from old accounts you may have forgotten about. Especially if the email of record for an old account is out of date (so that you will not see Google's notification).

We do not know today how clear the documentation from Google will be about describing affected images. It will probably be easier to replace things manually before the original image is deleted and it can be used as a marker and guide.

It may be too early to say "your blog isn't impacted by the changes." I just mean that I read that as "your blog isn't impacted by the changes" yet.  Apparently, a new storage scheme is in the works: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/13656070

That said, a month's notice seems short for something like this.

User 9087340934809438:
Once archive is gone, and as Adam mentioned,  mostly no manual intervention by a blogger user is necessary (hopefully that is true as I also have thousands of photos embedded in the blog), where are the photos stored after that and against which storage quota does it count?

Adam, Diamond Product Expert:
Re: against which storage quota does it count?
That's an awfully good question, because the help page is silent on that issue.  I am going to cross my fingers and hope that the images won't count at all against storage, which is, after all, the status quo.

User 9353:
We should have an idea of what amount of broken links we have to expect. I have uploaded over 5,000 photos on my blog since 2013. Even if a small percentage of these pictures need manual intervention, that will take a lot of time to fix it.

User 12992456061150136430:
Similarly to 9353 I have thousands of photos that are ostensibly in the Album Archive and are linked in blog entries dating back to 2004. I have over 11,00 blog entries and any requirement for manual intervention is a non-starter.

Adam, Diamond Product Expert:
@9353, my suggestion is not to buy trouble in advance. I think Google expects to convert everything automatically and that failures will be rare.

We don't have information about what factors might be problematic for Google, and I suspect they do not know either, that they are preparing for the possibility that issues will emerge during implementation.

I suppose, and this is just my speculation, that it would be a good idea to "future proof" your blog, especially if it is very old.  What I mean is that if you started your blog before 2007 and never converted it to a Google account, it might be wise to do that.

Google says: Where possible, old image URLs on your blog are now converted to the new format. There may be some images where we can’t move to the new format automatically. 

I assume the tense this is written in may not yet be correct, that the conversion has not happened yet for many people. It hasn't for me.

There's no mention of any of that in the email that Google sent out to everybody with images in the Album Archive. The Archive includes images from many other sources besides Blogger, and the generic email did not enumerate every case.

User 1891572831468108221:
This would be great if Google were mentioning that blogger photos will be migrated automatically before asking the users to archive the images.

User JP1234567890;
Thanks for this summary, Adam. The blog I'm most concerned about is 17 years old with thousands of photos. For now I'm trying to decide if I have a huge job ahead. The thing I don't understand is in the document you linked to, "a new storage scheme is in the works: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/13656070 

It ends by saying: "Tip: If the link isn’t visible, your blog isn’t impacted by the changes."

My question is which link. Does this mean that, in Step 4: Navigate to Manage blog > Manage unsupported image URLs.

If there is no "Manage unsupported image URLs" link underneath Manage blog,  does it mean my blog isn't impacted by the changes?

As shown in the above exchanges, this is an issue concerning many Google users and bloggers, myself included. It seems that not even
 a product expert can anticipate what will happen. 

Mt situation (and maybe yours) is like the users above who commented about long-running blogs with lots of images. Our blog has been going for just over a dozen years with most likely thousands of images.

That said, I am not planning to export any images, but will adopt a wait and see what happens next position. If that means that images are deleted from the blog by mid-July, perhaps that could be the time to shut it down. Should that happen, know that meeting blogger friends online (and some in person) has been wonderful. Meanwhile, I will be just waiting to see what happens.

Your turn — if you've received this email — What action, if any, do you plan to take?

20 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you
I think I might have received the notice. Didn't stay in memory though.
Blogger archive stores duplicates photos, every reposting of a photo. It isn't a great program to begin with, imho.
I hope the next one is better.

MadSnapper said...

I did not recieve an email.. and don't see anything on the dashboard. when they moved from picasa I to google photos I did nothing, so will probably do nothing. will post if i recieve any info or emails. thanks for all your research, read it all, hope I retain it. ha ha on that. My photos are all backed up on external drives.

Vee said...

No email received and I look at my groogle forum pages often. Thank you for telling us. What a potential mess.

Christina said...

I have received and ignored the message... wait and see is my usual approach with weird blogger issues. Might do a backup just in case.

NewRobin13 said...

I don't think I received this email, but I can't be sure because I probably wouldn't open one if I didn't recognize the sender. Now I'm curious about what the future for blogger will be. I had been thinking lately how lucky we have been to have this platform available to us for so many years. I do hope it keeps going.

photowannabe said...

I received the emails and was totally confused about what they were wanting me to do..so I have done nothing. I have had a blog since 2006 with a gazillion posts and photos.
I would dearly hate to loose this format and all the friends I have made over the years..I guess I will just hang in there for the time being.
Sue

Rita said...

I received the notice. There is no way I can go back and fix photos by reposting all my pictures. Makes sense that they have done this before, though. I went back to find something in a very early blog last year and found broken links to pictures. I've been posting for many years, too, and have a blog that is loaded with pictures. They sure didn't give much warning. But if they did it before I don't remember getting any warning at all for that one. We may be royally screwed if they don't manage to make this shift smoothly.

Lady Caer Morganna said...

Rita, I totally agree!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Not received an email yet!

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

I have no recollection of this message. Thanks for the head's up!

Barbara Rogers said...

No message received yet on my three active blogs. I'll see if the other old ones have messages. Where was it received?

gigi-hawaii said...

I hope you don't shut down your blog!!!

Bob said...

What worked well for me (and I DO NOT have a lot of pictures) was to click on "activity log" link in the email. It directed me to a single photo. When clicked, that photo opened up three albums that were there. The largest had about 80 images. On the page there was a menu at the top right. One of the menu options was "download album". I did, and it created a zip file of all the images in that album. It only took seconds for about 80 images. Those who have thousands would obviously take awhile longer, but it's probably a good way to get your content if you want it.

nick said...

I don't use the Album Archive so I haven't had the email. I hope you don't shut down the blog, I enjoy reading about your various adventures and enthusiasms!

Linda G. said...

I looked and all I saw was one picture, large and several thumbnails of the same picture. I didn’t do anything. I stopped using blogger a long time ago, moving to the Wordpress platform.

Marcia said...

I got it and ignored it. I'll take a wait and see attitude.

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, I've not had that message. I hope I don't get it: it sounds far too technical for my brain.

David said...

Hi Beatrice, All of these changes are over my head or, as the saying goes, "above my pay grade". Most of the input is "Greek to me". If it becomes too hard to blog or my older blogs disappear I'll just move on to another form of entertainment. I'm already struggling with the recent Google photo file "upgrade" and I'm using a "work around" to enhance the photos. I can't figure out how to use the latest changes so I'll have to see if someone from the local photo club can figure it out and show me what to do... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

William Kendall said...

This sounds like a huge headache.

Rob Lenihan said...

I haven't received the email--at least not that I noticed.