Pages

Friday, June 3, 2022

Friday Funnies

YIKES, it's June already and long past time for something funny. So, here's one to start a new month. It's also a day to celebrate a popular sweet treat, see below.

This bridge is definitely for the birds and, no, these bridge-squatters were not in any cages.
These not-seen-so-clearly seabirds on an abandoned bridge stretch are gulls. The image was taken from a moving car in which I was a passenger, not the driver, so it is not clear.

This post is for fellow blogger, Sandra, whose Madsnapper blog has recently featured several posts with the color aqua.

Internet sources
Celebrate with a sweet treat today as Friday, June 3 is National Donut Day in the U.S. and some other countries. The origins date back to 1938 in Chicago as a fundraiser for The Salvation Army to honor their female members, lassies, who served doughnuts to soldiers during WW I (soldiers called them Doughnut Girls).  There's a number of Internet sites listing regional and local places where you can get a free donut(s), of course exclusions apply in some cases. If you don't celebrate today, there's upcoming doughnut holidays to indulge: June 8 or 9 is National Jelly-Filled Doughnut Day, Sept 14 is National Cream-Filled Doughnut Day and Oct 30 features Buy a Doughnut Day. For today, there's many Internet sites listing regional and local places where you can get a free donut(s), of course, exclusions or restrictions may apply as nothing is totally free most times.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
Going to outdoor book sale at local library

25 comments:

Bijoux said...

That’s a great capture. Happy Friday!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great to see them there.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Gulls are perpetual opportunists, I'm not surprised to see them on the bridge.

MadSnapper said...

thanks for the proof i am RIGHT!!!! ha ha.. it is a beautiful aqua. I got 2 photos from Australia in my email today, seems one of their political parties has gone aqua..

My name is Erika. said...

Happy donut day to you Dorothy! There is a day for everything, isn't there?

Vee said...

Any day is a good day for a doughnut! ☺️

Barbara Rogers said...

Now my mouth is watering for a donut! Have a great Friday! I love the gulls.

NewRobin13 said...

I love that photo of the birds on the bridge. Beautiful!

DUTA said...

This kind of celebration day is one way of getting free food. There are some other options, and one should learn about them and use them.

gigi-hawaii said...

I love aqua, both color and water to drink. Nice photo to take from a car. Gigi-Hawaii

DeniseinVA said...

And now I am craving a doughnut ;) A fun photo, a rest and sheltering from the wind? Have a great weekend!

Jon said...

Those gulls remind me of the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds".
Donuts? I love them - any day at all.

Rita said...

Wow! That's a lot of bridge birds. ;)

William Kendall said...

Quite a view!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I wish I'd known about donut day! I totally missed it! Probably just as well. I don't really NEED to eat a donut...but then again... well anyway...thanks for the info, just a bit too late for me now. the seagulls are funny...there must be something good there to make them stop there...I guess it's a good vantage point to go fishing. Thank for the stories for today. Have a great weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the photograph of the birds on the bridge.
Have a happy weekend.

All the best Jan

Anvilcloud said...

I’d be much more impressed if you had taken it awhile driving. 😉

Edna B said...

I didn't know we had "donut" days. I'll have to get me a donut on the eighth. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Carola Bartz said...

I LOVE the picture with the gulls on the bridge! National donut day? There is a day for everything, I think. Did you get a free donut?

Buttercup said...

I missed doughnut day, but glad I'll have a chance to celebrate later this month. I'm in Hanover for my Dartmouth 50th, so unfortunately not close to the post. But another time!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Were you in Florida when you took that bridge shot? I see bird-lined bridges pretty often here and it still surprises me. .... darn, I missed free donut day LOL -- that'll teach me to be late reading your blog posts ;>)

Veronica Lee said...

Cool shot of the birds on the bridge, Beatrice.

I love doughnuts especially those mint-glazed ones.

Lois Evensen said...

Love that shot of the birds!

David said...

Beatrice, Now I'm really sad! Somehow we missed National Donut Day, one of my favorite foods... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Rob K said...

That bird bridge is a hoot. Not much of a donut dude to be honest, so I don't mind missing the holiday.