Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Are You Masking Up?

At the risk of starting some serious controversy, I'm just wondering how fellow bloggers are reacting to the new realities of masking up and/or wearing gloves. I expect and respect that your opinions can and may differ.

Please don’t misunderstand or leave nasty comments (which will be deleted). The opinionexpressed here are part of a personal rant for lack of a better term. 

Note this excludes wearing a mask when inside a store; mandatory in some places.
I'm just wondering if fellow bloggers are masking up and/or wearing plastic gloves when being outdoors and not in close proximity to others. 

Also, medical professionals working in the field, care givers or others in similar positions are excluded from any of these opinions. 
Internet source

Constantly seeing masked faces everywhere is a bit unsettling (at least for me). Oddly, it brought back memories of a long-ago TV western series, The Lone Ranger, which starred Clayton Moore as Ranger John Reid. This show, which ran from 1949-1952 and 1953-1957 during my (ahem) younger days, was one of the most popular TV westerns back then. Reid always wore a mask, although his was much was different than current ones and covered mainly his eyes. Anyone else remember this show without revealing that we are both of "a certain age"?

Yes, we dutifully don face masks when entering grocery store trips, these trips are done much less often than before. And, I mask up in the local post office when I walk there to send cards and notes which friends have said they enjoy getting. Interestingly enough a Canadian friend emailed a late thank you for her birthday card. She told me that she had just opened the card after it was in a period of quarantine. I should add that April has recently undergone cancer surgery and is now undergoing radiation treatments. Her actions were understandable and necessary precautions due to a possibly comprised immune system.

I get it. People with underlying health issues, seniors and so many others need to be diligent even to the point of being over-cautious, better safe than sorry in those cases.

However, I've seen many folks masked and gloved when walking outdoors for fresh air. After being cooped inside, it would seem that being unmasked/ungloved would be welcomed. Unfortunately, I've also seen what happens when folks remove them.
Photos taken on a recent downtown walk

Surprisingly, many medical experts and healthcare providers agree that gloves don't give added protection against the risk of coming into contact with germs. And, gloves won't lower the risk of contracting COVID-19 as it doesn't transmit through skin contact on hands, but when bacteria enters the system through mucous membranes or via respiratory droplets in close proximity. 

For example, If you wear gloves while shopping, then itch your nose or rub your eyes, it defeats the purpose. Anything gloves touch can get infected especially your face. Experts say that washing hands and using hand sanitizer after touching things, is more effective and accomplished the same thing

Before anyone jumps up, I'm not saying that folks with medical issues who want to be outdoors shouldn't take precautions. They should for their own safety and peace of mind. 

That said, we ventured out to a park area near our apt last Saturday on a gloriously warm and sunny day. We saw and spoke to several people, all mask-less like ourselves while all social distancing. It was really great not only to have human interaction, but to see a face.

We saw folks, much younger than ourselves who passed by wearing masks. No photos were taken as that would've been inappropriate even though it was outdoors in a public space. It wouldn't be right to single anyone out for taking what they feel are necessary precautions just to get a photo opp and I wouldn't do that.

Again, just wondering if you've seen people wearing a mask while driving, even when they are the sole vehicle occupant. Is this really necessary?

Some experts claim it can create other dangers, like reducing the field of vision or oxygen levels. Last weekend, a NJ driver involved in a single-car crash is thought to have passed out behind the wheel due to insufficient oxygen intake/excessive carbon dioxide due to wearing an N-95 mask too long. The car was heavily damaged after hitting a utility pole; the driver was unhurt.

Like many others, I follow multiple news reports, but only once a day. Here's a few things I recently found out from various sources including The New York Times and The New England Journal of Medicine:
  • It's not advised to wash produce and fruit with soap. Ingesting soap can trigger nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or forms of gastrointestinal distress that could mimic symptoms of COVID-19. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) stated that all you need to do is gently rub the produce while rinsing with running water. 
  • It’s not necessary to change clothes/take a shower when coming in from shopping.
  • It's OK to wash clothes with regular detergents and then place in a dryer.
  • It's OK to read a paper or open a package or mail. Be sure to wash your hands after. (Some sources advise to let mail and packages sit for 24 hours before handling.)
  • It's not necessary to wipe your shoes after coming inside.
  • It's safe to go outside mask-less if not in a very crowded place. (There's so few of those around now anyway.)
  • Wearing gloves to the supermarket isn't needed, if you don't touch your face and wash your hands immediately after you return home.
OK, this rant is over and Thanks for "listening." Right now, everyone has his/her gripes. Just wondering if anyone wants to express his/her own in the comments below. 
Go ahead, no judgements here. We're all social distancing friends.

Grenville and I are doing well, maintaining our social distancing even in a large apt complex, wearing masks as appropriate and, most importantly, washing our hands often.

We're watching a lot of classic B&W movies, especially the film noir genre. You may be able to find some of these streaming online. Here's some Alfred Hitchcock good ones to see: Strangers on a Train, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious, Suspicion, The 39 Steps and The Maltese Falcon

More good films: Orson Welles's The Stranger and the classic Citizen Kane. Humphrey Bogart is excellent in The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not, and Deadline U.S.A. A couple of our all time favorite actors, Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, are in several of the above-mentioned films. These films and others like them are binge-worthy.

We've watched many documentaries films and more through the free streaming service, Kanopy, available from our local library (mentioned in a previous post). It has a wealth of these and The Great Courses too. We've managed to avoid binge-worthy Netflix dramas.

Reaching out to a minimum of 3 others daily is helpful to you and others according to a recent article. I've been upping that total by calls, emails, texts and sending notes and cards. (Thankful that USPS employees remain working, especially now.)
Floor signage at the post office and 2 supermarkets

Like many others, we miss basic human interactions: to visit, give a hug, shake a hand, see a smile, kiss a loved one, spend time together, say goodbye (sadly). We realize that many precautions are necessary. One day we can all do these again and more.

Wash your hands, maintain social distancing, wear masks in enclosed spaces.
Most importantly, be well and stay as safe as possible. 

25 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I wear my mask only when I go shopping. Other than that I am happy to breathe in fresh air and in some of the areas where I go birding I do not see a single other person, so wearing a mask would be a tad redundant. In the public parks people seem to have become well accustomed to keeping their distance. Like you, I see some people even there wearing masks, and I suspect that it is at least in part psychological. If it makes them feel better, great! As for hand-washing we have always been pretty much in the habit of washing our hands when we came in from outdoors, so not much change there, except that we are now more thorough. I am starting to miss socialization more than I did initially. Both Miriam and I enjoy cooking, and last night I made a great (we both thought so, at least) dinner comprising two brand new recipes, and it sure would have been more enjoyable to have another couple or two share it with us, drink a little wine, laugh and share experiences, hug them when they arrive and when they leave. Even the two kids next door, who call us grandpa and grandma, keep their distance, as they should of course, and I wonder if the relationship is getting irreversibly changed in the process. In any event, that's a long ramble that started with masks!

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not leaving the house. We are not meant to be. I go out once a week to drop my parcels off. Parcels that have sold on ebay. I wear a mask and gloves. I wear a cap and clothes that cover my skin. As soon as I get in the car I peal the gloves off and drop them on the floor. I then sanitise my hands, I then wipe down with a bacterial wipe anything I may touched whilst getting back in the car, like the keys and door handle.

We have 2 newspapers delivered every day and we do not touch them until the next day, same with any parcels that arrive. We have home food deliveries and anything that needs to go in the fridge we do wearing gloves, then leave the rest of it for 24 hours.

I literally haven't done anything else for 6 weeks now.

Ron said...

Hello there! I found your blog via Valerie at A Mixed Bag, nice to meet you.

I enjoyed this post! And it's ironic because I posted something last week on my blog along the same lines. I feel as you do, I'm cautious and take all the necessary steps to keep myself and others safe, but I'm not extreme. I do make sure to keep my distance from others and wear my mask when entering an enclosed place with other people. But if I'm outside sitting in a park, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, I do not wear a mask. I live in a city, Philadelphia, and I see the same as you, people just throwing their used masks and gloves all over the streets. Now to me, that's inconsiderate and just plan rude. And I also agree on what you shared about wearing gloves.

"Again, just wondering if you've seen people wearing a mask while driving, even when they are the sole vehicle occupant. Is this really necessary?"

Yes...I think the same thing. Is this really necessary?

But if others choose to do that and take extra precautions, they certainly have that right; especially if they have preexisting medical conditions.

Since day one, though, I've never felt any kind of paralyzing fear about this virus. I'm aware of it, definitely, but I've never been paranoid.

Again, nice meeting you. Stay well and have a nice weekend!

Valerie said...

And here I am following Ron... lolol.
Regarding masks and gloves used as protection... or are they? I cannot decide. I have tradesmen who bring parcels, groceries and the like, some wear masks others don't. I thought perhaps I should wear a mask when greeting these people at the door... or should I? I wish I knew.

Coastal Ripples said...

I have much the same thoughts as you. My kind neighbour made me a face mask and I do wear it in the supermarket but that’s all. Walking or driving doesn’t seem to need a mask in my opinion and as for gloves...don’t get me started. Totally agree with your comments. Thorough hand washing is the way to go. I feel sorry for small children having to see lots of odd people in masks. Quite scary for them. B x

Edna B said...

I am amazed at how many folks continue to complain about keeping up with safety measures. We all want this virus to be over. I think we should be happy to do whatever it takes to keep us safe. Of course, this is just my opinion. I respect that everyone is entitled to theirs. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Jon said...

My lifestyle is much different than that of most people, which gives me a rather unusual perspective on risks and fears concerning this epidemic.

I live all alone in a very isolated area of Tennessee, so my contact with other people is minimal. I usually drive to town for supplies once or twice a month. So far, our county has only had three cases of the virus and no deaths.
Despite the sparse population of the town, many places of business are closed or restricted.

Masks aren't required, but some people are wearing them while shopping. I'd say it's about half and half.
I personally have never worn a mask....and in my humble and biased opinion I don't think they're necessary. It is completely ridiculous for anyone to wear them outdoors when walking or jogging. Fresh air is imperative to good health.

I have always been diligent about washing my hands and scrubbing my face - long before this virus chaos ever occurred.

I lived in Los Angeles for 30 years, and would undoubtedly be much more virus-conscious if I was still there. As for now, my fears are few.

Sorry for the long, rambling comment!

Anvilcloud said...

I haven't worn a mask yet, but I have also been avoiding stores. I would not wear one outside unless I were to go to a crowded event, which is moot since there aren't any, and I wouldn't attend one anyway.

I may have come across one person masking outside, but I am not sure since I wasn't paying much attention. But really, people in my town are not masking while outside walking in parks or trails or whatever.

I will mask when I resume going into stores. However, although there are being recommended now, I am still not sure how effective they are. I think the greatest asset might be that they may reduce touching the face, which I find extremely difficult to do.

Ron said...

Hello again!

Just wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your comments. I also wanted to let you know that I have it set up on my Disqus account that all first-time comments have to be approved (to keep out spam), However, I have now approved your comment info, so in the future your comments will go straight to published.

Nice meeting you!

Emma Springfield said...

I am like some others here. I live way out in the boondocks. I have not needed a mask so far. I do have some ordered just in case.

Doris said...

One of our daughters got us masks but we have yet to use them. We get groceries delivered or by curbside pickup. Haven't seen the inside of a store for 6 weeks. No need to wear one for walks in my opinion. We continue to have too many cases of Covid here so lifting most restrictions is likely still weeks away. (Sigh)

Christina said...

I don't wear a mask when I go outside. I might if I was going to the shops but I haven't done that for 7 weeks (my husband does all the shopping). I would wear the mask to make others feel safe more than anything else. Gloves in particular give a false sense of security. This was drilled into me when working in the lab with infectious pathogens. I don't see much point in wearing gloves, good hand wash hygiene is more effective, and not touching our faces. I have seen people with masks not covering the nose, which seems a bit pointless. I think for many people, it just feels safer to wear a mask, even one that has little effect on reducing disease transmission. We maintain the same hygiene standards at home that we always have. Wash produce, wash hands, clean surfaces, the usual. So far so good.

It is a bit weird talking to people with masks, I find it quite difficult to pick-up nonverbal cues because half the face is hidden. What I do find really weird is people walking down the road on their own with a big plastic visor over the face.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I learned from Christina about wearing gloves and how it could give one a false sense of security.
I do wear a mask when going to the store. I don’t go out unless it’s absolutely necessary and when I do, I clean hands with sanitizer and then wear a surgical mask before getting out of the car.

I did wash produce once with soapy water, and then read that it wasn’t safe. So I plan not to use soap, but still wash everything well before putting them in the fridge.

DUTA said...

I've got no dilemma about wearing a mask when going out. In fact, I think in winter I'll keep on wearing it even if rules won't demand it. It gives some kind of protection, especially for the elderly people who are more vulnerable to colds.

Tara said...

I wear a mask when I go grocery shopping. I have hand sanitizer in the car and so 'wash up' with it upon re-entry and then I take my mask off. I have seen people driving solo and wearing a mask and I just don't think that is necessary. Masks are only to protect others in case you're infected, and there are many who have the virus and don't even know it.

When I walk in my neighborhood, I have a bandana around my neck in case I can't avoid someone, but that has not happened yet. I, or the other, cross the street to avoid getting close.

The list you provide is also my general understanding of things. As things begin to open up, I'll still be observing all social distancing rules until a vaccine is proven. I'm a high risk person, so there go you.

Ludwig said...

Our favorite restaurant sells masks along with their to-go food items. This is how we got our masks (before FAA started selling them as fashion wear - do check out my offerings).

We love to pick up lattes in the afternoon at our favorite Dunkin. Tomorrow we plan to take our drinks to the local park and sit on a bench - without masks - enjoying the outdoors and the coffee.

Wishin everyone well!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I won't belabor you with my thoughts on the subject … enough to say that I am not taking any chances … staying home and having all the necessities delivered.

My name is Erika. said...

I am masking up in the grocery store store or when in close vicinity of people. But not elsewhere. I can walk on my road and not even see other people except those passing in cars. I'm playing it safe though and staying as much as I can out of the line of other people. My husband is immune suppressed and I don't want to be the one to bring anything home. It's bad enough my mom has it. But I do think that out of respect to all those medical people and first responders who work so hard, we should be masked up.

Red said...

I enjoyed your comprehensive post on many appects of the virus. I don't wear a mask but I'm not out with people very much. I think about 20% of people wear masks here. I think all we do helps.As an aside, I'd really hate to hear later on that all these precautions didn't matter!!!

baili said...

Great sharing dear Dorothy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i really appreciate you pointed out some really important things
i never liked people wearing mask as kid ,i don't know but it made me stay away and alert

i think people don't dig things to learn and so over react some times

we wear mask when go for shopping and wash hands and fruits and veggies afterwards ,taking daily bath has become essential too

i found last para touching and i am waiting for normal times eagerly with heart filled with prayers
stay healthy my friend!

mamasmercantile said...

A bit late with my comment, just catching up. Sadly we fall into the high risk category so we are not allowed out for 12 weeks at this stage. We also have very little covid19 here, there have been only 6 cases on the Island no hospitalisation and no deaths. We have all our food and medication delivered. We are allowed in the garden and as we have substantial land it is nice to go for a walk. We are very lucky.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you Dorothy, this is a very informative and important post. Fortunately I haven't had to wear a mask yet but have them on hand just in case. We aren't going anywhere and we get everything delivered. I have a low immune system and am prone to respiratory infections in the winter anyway, also am of that age group that should particularly be careful. I was always a big hand washer but wash them like a surgeon now!!! The only people I ever saw wearing masks in a car the driver and his three passengers. Wondered at the time if they were family or if they were car pooling going into DC. If I was anywhere near a number of people I would be wearing my face mask, and following all the advice from the scientists who have made this their life-long career, and certainly not anyone else until it was verified. So I guess my answer is a) yes I would wear a mask if near people and b) I would wear it so that others would see I care about their health.

Connie said...

We are wearing masks in enclosed public places but not when we walk around the block outside where we live. Like you, we are washing hands more frequently but not wearing gloves.

David said...

Hi Beatrice (aka Dorothy), I actually like your 'stage name'... In any case, in response to the hours that ya'll are keeping...staying up late...we started that when we retired. Now that the virus has come upon us all, we're staying up even later. My better half usually stops reading about 12:30 AM and normal for me the last few weeks has been 1 AM. However, we are getting plenty of sleep, rarely getting up much before 9 AM.

As for gloves and Covid-19, as they might say in NJ, "forgetaboutit". Self-isolation for 51 days as of now. When we go into any store, we wear a mask. The big benefit is that the mask helps remind us not to touch our face until were back in the car and can sanitize our hands. Mail and packages either sit for a day or we spray them down with disinfectant. Things are opening up a bit here...probably too early...and my spouse is getting her hair colored and cut in about a week. She will be wearing a mask, the salon takes one person at a time...social distancing between beauticians...plus a divider. She is going to sanitize going in and then again when she comes out. When she gets home, she's shedding her clothes in the garage and then heading straight for a hot and soapy shower. Fortunately for me, she's a retired hairdresser so I don't have to venture out! Such is life in the Covid-19 Era! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Buttercup said...

Living in New York City I may be going more overboard than others. I've gotten used to wearing a mask when I go outside. It keeps me from touching my face -- mouth, eyes and nose -- and keeps the pollen out. The latter is no small issue for me having serious allergies and mild asthma. I soap and watered fruit for the last year if the fruit needed to be cut. I rinse them really well and have had no issues. I started doing that with listeria outbreaks. Most of my friends here are equally cautious, but almost everyone I know knows people who have (had) COVID and/or died from it. I'm hopeful that one day life will once again hold all the human pleasures we can't have right now.