Pages

Friday, April 3, 2020

Friday Funnies

This guy has really been taking social distancing to the max. 

We've seen him sculling in the early morning hours on the Nashua River below our mill apt, weather-permitting. Maybe he wants to beat the river traffic (there is none).

Sculling is the act of rowing with two oars. Oars propel a boat as they are moved through the water on both sides, or by moving a single oar over the stern. The oars are often called sculls when used in this manner, and the boat may be referred to as a scull.

We're former kayakers (since sold ours) and there's differences between paddling kayaks and canoes and rowing sculls. Paddles propel boats in the same direction the paddler is facing. Oars propel boats in the opposite direction from the way the rower is seated. Simply put, it means that paddlers go forward, while rowers travel backward.

Also, paddles are not attached to anything, move freely and are supported only by the paddler’s hands. In comparison, rowing oars are attached to the boat being rowed and rest in oarlocks, which act as a fulcrum (point on which a lever rests or is supported and on which it pivots) for the pushing and pulling rowing motion.


Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
(Keep on social distancing for health)

17 comments:

Susan Zarzycki said...

I found this info interesting. I did a lot of "rowing" in my younger days, growing up on the Island.There was always a small row boat tied up to what we called the "wharf" but today we call a pier.💖

MadSnapper said...

interesting and I knew none of this. I see them on TV and movies and now I am wondering how they keep from running into others while going backwards. never thought of it before.

Tara said...

good exercise! In the summer I like to kayak in some of our local lakes. Always good fun.

L. D. said...

It looks like a lot of good exercise. It also seems too wet and cold for me.

DUTA said...

I must confess I knew nothing about the subject. Thanks for sharing the information.
Social distancing, indeed.

Vagabonde said...

Paddling or rowing on a river sounds wonderful right now. I have not been out of the house since March 14 and I miss the outdoor. But then now I have time to go back reading blogs, so that’s nice.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice way to spend some alone time during social distancing. Great photo.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love watching these sculls. They glide so beautifully in the water.

Kathy said...

My nephew used to do sculling when he was in high school. The group he was with went along the Schuylkill River. It is a great sport.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Many years ago I remember going to the FDR home in Hyde Park, NY and down in the cellar they had 2 skinny, strange looking boats with oars stored up on shelves. The guide told us that they were sculls and that President Roosevelt and his family loved the sport of sculling.

Red said...

All of them are very good outdoor exercises.

Rita said...

I would think it would be scary to be traveling fast backwards!

Valerie said...

The trouble with living in a town is that we never get to see water or canoes, duh!

mamasmercantile said...

Nice to watch but not for me. Take care and stay safe.

Anvilcloud said...

I'd never thought about this. Glad to know it now.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Interesting how the terminology moves around. Sculling, in the language of the boatmen of the Fens and Norfolk Broads, is propelling a boat with a single oar at the back of the boat - and very tricky it is to go in anything like a straight line! What you call "oarlocks" are called "rowlocks" on this side of the ocean and, very satisfyingly, it's pronounced "rollocks".

Connie said...

I've never heard of sculls before. Interesting information!