Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Leica Me NOT

Fellow bloggers, ever prepare a draft that was never completed and later found ? 
That's what happened with this post. It was written several months ago and just updated.

Most of us heard the age-old expression, things are not always what they seem. Sometimes that's true and, in many some cases it's not.

Take the images of this camera. To some photography buffs it look just like a vintage 35mm camera, perhaps a Leica, or similar rangefinder camera. Other more savy photography fans may recognize it right away, despite no manufacturer/model ID visible (unless enlarged).

This is a high-end and rather unique digital camera. Yes, it has a viewfinder. More about its features later in this post. 
But first, I digress, which isn't unusual for me.

Internet source
I've been a long-time photography fan, ever since receiving my first camera, an Imperial Mark XII flash camera, a gift from my parents. It was a sea green color and was manufactured by the Herbert George Company of Chicago Illinois, circa 1950s. 

The Imperial Mark XII Flash took 6x6 images on 620 film. The camera came in a variety of bright colors including red, blue, grey, black, green, tan and black to spur sales of a very basic design. This popular snapshot camera was constructed of a sturdy plastic, called bakelite. It featured a built-in eye-level view finder, fixed focus lens, film winding knob, simple shutter and detachable synchronized flash. A wrist strap was riveted to the side of the camera body. 

I remember photographing backyard family get-togethers and, at the time, the photos were all B&W. I'm unsure if color film was available for it. The camera, flash and original box are long gone, and I suspect my parents paid less than $10 for it. It can still be purchased at online sites and prices range from $25-$50 depending on condition.

In the many years since that first camera, I've used/owned a number of others. My first serious camera, and long-time favorite, was a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR which was purchased new for $200 at a local camera store near my NJ hometown. Like many other film cameras of its era, it can now be found online for much less. This camera had a "standard" 50mm lens and featured a screw-thread lens mount. Eventually, I purchased telephoto and wide angle lenses and used that equipment for years, mainly as a part-time photographer for a local weekly newspaper.

Years later, I progressed to digital cameras and my first ones were Canon and Fuji model point & shoot ones with a fixed lens. Later, I bought a Canon Digital Rebel, which was one of the first digitals that featured interchangeable lens capability. The camera had a so-called "standard" 18-55mm lens; additional lenses, including a telephoto and macro, were purchased later. All the Canon equipment was sold when my favorite camera, Pentax, got into digital cameras with interchangeable lenses. That brand was my first "camera love" and I invested in a couple of camera bodies and new lenses after selling the Canon camera and lenses. Why two bodies? They were very compact and it was handy to have a different lens on each, but not always practical.

Also, carrying around a couple of digital SLR camera bodies, several lenses, and assorted other items in a large bag became tiring after a while. Once again, I sold all and switched to "hybrid" digital cameras, these all-in-one models had built-in zoom lenses which, admittedly, could be challenging to handhold at the longest zoom. I owned a couple of Nikon and Canon cameras. The last one, a Canon PowerShot SX500, featured a 30X super zoom. While lighter than a digital SLR, it too became cumbersome to lug around and was definitely not pocket-sized. I then tried a smaller Olympus mirrorless digital camera with interchangeable lenses. That equipment was only used a short-time. The construction seemed flimsy compared to many other cameras I've owned. Thankfully, it found a new home thanks to online selling.
  
Fujifilm X100F
After much some thought and after once again selling all the other equipment, I opted for a "back-to-basics"  camera. This meant no zoom capability, manual controls, also auto features. It's the mystery one shown in the photos ↑ above and to the left.

That's not to say, this camera is low-priced. In fact, quite the opposite as the price was higher than some digital SLRs with a lens or two. My add-on accessories for this camera were a half case that covers the camera bottom, braided camera strap, UV protector filter, lens shade, thumb rest and extra battery. The X100f is the fourth iteration of Fujifilm's highly regarded X100 camera line. Its selling points are the traditional exposure controls, a lens aperture ring with f-stop settings, and shutter speed dial on top of the camera and it has a viewfinder (optical and electronic). Harking back to retro 35 mm film cameras, the shutter speed dial lifts and turns to change ISO settings, much like on my earlier (beloved) Pentax Spotmatic.

In a nod to earlier rangefinders, the X100F has been called a "street shooters" camera. That's because it looks less intimidating and draws less attention to the photographer and the camera, both important points for candid captures. 

The camera's "prime" lens is a 23 mm/f2 equivalent to a 35 mm focal length that's great for everyday shooting. This wide-angle lens is non-interchangeable and non-collapsible. The rear screen is fixed, doesn't tilt, and isn't touch-sensitive. It’s definitely a different sort of camera, not a high speed jack-of-all trades, but one to be appreciated for the simplicity of a fixed prime lens and external exposure controls. (A new model released earlier this year includes a tilt screen and other updates, of course, at a higher price. I have no plans to upgrade.)

Overall, the X100F is striking to see, hold and use. Although bought well over a year ago, it hasn't been used much because of my inability to see distances before cataract surgery. That's been corrected and I'm (very) slowly getting familiar with its functions and capabilities. It may look basic, but there's quite a few menus to get through.

While the camera doesn't feature lens interchangeability, add-on wide-angle and telephoto conversion lenses can be bought to provide both 28 mm and 50 mm equivalent focal lengths. These are rather very pricey and not in my purchase plans. The camera and accessories were a gift to myself and that's enough. Do you buy yourself a gift every now and then? If not, you definitely should try it.

During these stay-at-home months, the camera hasn't seen much use. The only excuse is that my cellphone is the camera always with me. Some time soon, I'll photograph local places, and those photos could be the subject of a future post.

How about you — bought anything recently that hasn't seen much (if any) use?

20 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Your first SLR and DSLR seem pretty much identical to mine.

I came close to leaving the DSLR world. Then I got an all-in-one lens for my Digital Rebel. I wouldn't particularly want to use that system now, but it was crucial at the time.

Vee said...

Yes. A Power washer, which is all about to change as soon as I get myself dressed. I miss my good camera, but the iPhone is, as you say, so handy.

Ron said...

Yes, you're so right, that does look like vintage 35mm camera!

And like you, I've always been a huge fan of photography. When I was a kid, I used to go to the library and look through all the photographs books, utterly fascinated by the art of photography. In fact, one Christmas, my mother gave me my first camera. It was a Polaroid "Swinger." I loved that camera!

OMG...yes, I remember "flash" cameras, where you had to purchase the flash bulbs. And I remember the sound they made when they POPPED!

What an awesome selection of cameras you owned. My first serious camera was an Olympus film camera (I still have it). My first digital was a Nikon, then a Canon, and then a professional Canon that I got about 6 years ago because I wanted to start using manual mode for more control. I need to get an additional lens though, because the one it came with is limited.

You know, I've heard great things about Fuji cameras. And I like how compacted they are for easier transporting.

Being that I share your passion for photography, I LOVED this post! Thanks so much for sharing.

MadSnapper said...

Your new camera is something that I haven't even seen or heard of. I do love new cameras but I don't use cameras anymore because all I do is take pictures around the house and in the neighborhood and it's too much trouble to take a camera with me and the photos from my phone just upload into Google photos and I don't have to upload from the camera. But if I was still going out to different places like Selby Gardens and jungle Gardens in place like that I would want a nice camera I don't like the one I bought. Is one that has a 60 Zoom I think it's an icon 600 with no interchangeable lenses because I got tired of carrying the bags of lenses

Coastal Ripples said...

A fascinating post. Gosh I remember screw mounted lenses....what a faff they were. I’m still with Canon after many years. Basic digital with a range of lenses although I rarely change them these days. As you say carting round extra lenses is an effort. I’m lucky to have three grown up sons that like to club together and buy me new photographic toys :) B x

David said...

Beatrice, We always seem to be buying things that seem to be a good idea at the time...and then don't get much use. Kitchen gadgets are a prime example. Once we bought a chipper shredder when we lived in a Chicago suburb. We had a fairly narrow lot that was 145' deep. My better half used the shredder once or twice and we 'harvested' a bushel or two of mulch. She eventually sold it and recouped much of our investment. I've had a lot of cameras over the years and I clearly remember the bulk...including one huge screw on zoom lens. For me, simple is better, so now I just use a digital camera with a built in zoom and almost alway leave it on the auto settings. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Edna B said...

I first got super interested in photography when Casio introduced digital cameras. That first camera was very expensive, but was a gift from my hubby. Then when Canon started the Rebel line, I switched to Canon. A gift to me from me. Now I have two Canons, a Rebel and a Powershot SX 70. I don't get out so much any more so I guess that's it for me for now. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Emma Springfield said...

I have started several times to buy something that I would use but isn't necessary. I always stop before I get to the payment page. So far anyway. Maybe next time I'll click to order.

Lois Evensen said...

Ah, what fun cameras to have!

LL Cool Joe said...

I have a Canon EOS that I use non stop every day as I photograph things to sell on ebay, or stuff for the blog, or items that I've bought online that arrive damaged so I need photographic evidence. I don't use my phone as I rarely have in on in the house. In the car I have a sony cybershot which I use if I'm out and about and want to capture something quickly. I wouldn't want to be without them!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Not thrown in the towel with the DSLR yet in fact I'm about to invest in a new Canon EOS R6. Like you I've had quite a few cameras you can read about them here https://spudsdailyphoto.blogspot.com/p/my-cameras.html but if I had to get rid of them I would use my Iphone which I found is great an don me most of the time

DUTA said...

Leica - lovely name, and it was a good camera at the time.
All I need is a point and shoot little camera.It bothers me that they don't make a viewfinder (a must for me) any more (Except Sony and some other manufacturers in their more expensive models).
At present,I have two Canon cameras - both with viewfinders.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Never having been a camera enthusiast, this is all a little foreign to me. Digital, point and shoot technology was built for duffers like me. I point and shoot and keep on clicking. Out of twenty or thirty pictures there is bound to be one good one! I am trying diligently to take less. I figure that for every hour shooting in the field there is at least twice that amount of time spent in downloading, editing and filing. Most of the pictures will never be looked at again. I think I am making far bettor use of my time these days - rereading the classics for example. I could spend a couple of hours on pictures of my neighbour's new puppy, or read Dostoevsky. Someone was telling me the other day that their niece just turned six months old and the parents already have around 5,000 pictures. Multiply that by each half year as the child gets older and by the time the kid is sixteen there will be 160,000 pictures stored away somewhere. How many do we need? How many will we look at? And selfies surely are the height of narcissism it seems to me.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That should read better not bettor above. I swear that some malevolent gremlin takes control of my fingers and types whatever it feels like!

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about photography. I've always been a point and click person. I feel lucky that cameras have zooms and auto focus. I wish I knew more. I have a good eye and would love to produce images the way I see them, but cameras always let me down. I love that you have had such a long history with photography. There are so many cameras and now phones to choose from. It's wild!

Michelle said...

I still love my "big" digital camera, but seriously, my phone camera is always with me. So handy and great photos!

L. D. said...

I am so glad your found it. I have started a blog and reopen to do a new one. I pick a day and put them on schedule.

My name is Erika. said...

Fascinating post. I learned on my Dad's old kodak totally manual camera. I can't remember the model but it was not a 35 mm. I've got a vintage canon AE-1 and then I went over to a Nikon 35 mm. I'm on my 2cd Nikon digital, and thinking it is getting time for a new one. One of these days. I remember the Pentax you had. My college roommate ad one. Thanks for the great post. Hugs-Erika

Himawan Sant said...

You're lucky you're still keeping some old cameras and taking good care of them. Later, it will become the target of the collectors who are very expensive.

Have a nice day.

Jeanie said...

This is really interesting to me. I loved hearing about the different ones you used and you new one. I still have my 35mm Pentax and its zooms and lenses, but I haven't used it in years. I was a hard sell for digital -- a late adapter. But now I find it's easier for me. I overshoot horrendously but I have a delete button! Right now I have a small pocket digital with a 40x zoom but it's seen better days. (It has been dropped on its head too many times and sometimes the zoom is funky when all out). It's a Canon, which was like my last pocket digital. Sometimes I have to adjust the color/brightness -- it looks right in the camera window playback but a little flat on the computer. I will probably try to replace it with a similar one but the next model.

I really look forward to seeing photos from your new camera. The good thing about these covid days is at least we can take walks and shoot photography! So, I expect to see some from you soon!