Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Deep Creek Marina

Boatyards are interesting places that present all sorts of photo opportunities.Recently, Grenville and I went to Deep Creek Marina to check on the status of repair work on his deck boat. That’s a story for another post – just ask Grenville about it. On second thought, maybe you better not for awhile until the “ouch” factor subsides.

While Grenville was taking care of business, I wandered around the boatyard to capture these images.
P1020100 P1020056
P1020102
P1020098
P1020107 P1020099P1020109 P1020116
P1020115 P1020112 P1020114Deep Creek has a water working history that dates from the mid 1700s. It located on the bayside of the Eastern Shore peninsula
south of the Maryland line. Shown are two abandoned crab shacks in the surrounding waters.

P1020091 crab shack white (2) deep creek0810
There were hundreds (maybe thousands) periwinkles, no a flower, but shore snails, which attach themselves to the shore grasses and are readily visible during low tide.
periwinkles (4)

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

From our trip down east, I now know what a periwinkle is.

Montanagirl said...

Nice series! There's a lot of nice perspective shots in the bunch.

Lois Evensen said...

Very nice images. :) You surely know by now that I really appreciate anything having to do with water and what floats on it.

I am having problems staying on line today to check all posts so maybe you've written about it, but I hope you didn't get too much from Hurricane Earl. We went West to avoid him since our "home" moves. ;)

Best,
Lois

Scott Law said...

Love the way you captured all kinds of bits and pieces to put together a whole and very nice story. I really enjoyed looking at these.

possum said...

Nice pix as usual!
Glad Grenville got the boat fixed. Waiting to hear how he made out on the water... no new problems, I hope!

HermitJim said...

Man, I wish one of those big ol' boats was mine for a month! What a way to while away some time...!

Beautiful pictures, my friend!

Ginnie said...

That was an interesting bit about the Periwinkles...I always thought they were flowers. Also you have some very artistic shots of the Marina.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi All - thanks for all the feedback. This was a fun series to do just walking around the marina. The camera was a point and shoot Panasonic Lumix digital and it really captures amazing imagery.

AC - glad to show you more perwinkles.

Ginnie, yes it can be confusing because there are also periwinkles that are flowers. And the marina was artistic - lots of great angles and lines.

Mona, masts and ships are so interesting because there are so many different angles.

Possum and HermitJim - THANKS for the nice comments. Grenville has been working on cleaning the deckboat this week and no "new" problems...yeah!

Scott, it was a beautiful day and fun to wander around to "see" what could be done in terms of a photo essay - my favorite type of post!

Lois, I KNEW anything about boats whether in the water or not would catch your interest. Earl missed us, all we got was some rain last Friday and Grenville posted about that.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

That brought back some memories from the years I had a sailboat :-) I loved walking around watching al boats that stood on land during winter. The smells both from the ocean and from our boats were wonderful. I may not miss the boat that much, but the smells!

Have a great day now!
Christer.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Just walking abiour looking the these boats our of the water was exciting for me, Christer, as I am not a boat person. I do like to see the different perspectives that sailboats present. So being around them is better than being on them for me. Thanks for the comment and our condolences to you.