Pages

Friday, July 12, 2024

Not So Funny (Again)

Usually, Friday posts contain humor in the form of a funny photo, but there's nothing fun about this post — keeping in touch by mail will cost more.

By Monday it will cost you more to mail a first-class letter in the U.S. and even more to mail internationally, including Canada.

So if you want to get Forever stamps at the current rate to use after the increase, you need to do it today, Friday, or tomorrow, Saturday. 

Because the latest United States Postal System (USPS) rate increase takes effect on Sunday, July 14, raising first-class (Forever stamp) postage. It's a  7.8% increase, the second one this year, the first was in January. 

What are the new prices?
The current price of a 1 ounce letter is 68 cents, which will jump 5 cents to 73 cents. The additional-ounce price for single-piece letters goes from 24 cents to 28 cents.  Domestic postcards will be up from 53 cents to 56 cents. The biggest increase is for international letters with a 10-cent hike from $1.55 to $1.65. (You can buy Forever stamps at the current $1.55 rate before Sunday.)
Current and Higher USPS costs as of July 14, 2024
That's not all — special services products like Certified Mail and money order fees will also cost more. But, there's some good news for postal box holders with no price increase in  rental fees, and there's also a 10 percent price reduction in postal insurance when mailing an item.

As someone who enjoys sending cards for birthdays, special occasions and holidays and also still writes and mails old-fashioned snail-mail letters, I wanted to learn more.

Why do stamp prices keep going up?
Stamp prices have increased more often and by greater amounts. This is the sixth price hike since Jan 2021. Sure, inflation is a factor, but not the only reason, other expenses play a bigger part. I learned that the rate hike includes the obligation to pay retirees' pension and health benefits, responsible for more of the increase than inflation.

According to the USPS, as changes in the mailing and shipping marketplace continue, price adjustments are needed to reach the financial stability it seeks in a 10-year, Delivering for America plan announced in March 2021 aimed at making its services more efficient. However, this apparently will increase mailing costs too.

First-Class Mail (FCM) is the highest revenue generating class of mail. It alone accounts for $24.5 billion (over 30 percent) of the $78.2 billion in total operating revenue for the USPS fiscal year. That's why setting the optimal price for FCM is considered to be integral to its overall financial standing. 

Unfortunately, that's meant price increases have come more often for letter writers.

How often I wondered?
The USPS has increased the price of first-class postage 18 times since January 2000 and raised prices more often in recent years, five times between January 2021 and January 2024.

By comparison, from the 1970s to the 2000s, the USPS increased rates 3 to 4 times per decade. But, since July 2007, a first-class stamp has increased 54 percent, from $0.41 to $0.63 in June 2023. In 2020, the USPS increased prices three times from January 2021 to June 2023, and five times between January 2021 and January 2024.

This does seem excessive, yet I read that despite a 54 percent price increase since July 2007, the USPS is among postal systems that have raised prices the least amount between June 2018 and June 2023. 
The famous mail scene from Miracle on 34th Street
Also, the U.S. has the largest domestic mail market worldwide, delivering more mail than any other postal system. The next largest domestic markets, Japan and Germany, each represent 6 percent of domestic mail volume. The UK and France collectively handled 7 percent of the world’s domestic volume. 

Are U.S. stamps still a good buy?
According to a ranking by the USPS Office of the Inspector General (OIG), the price of a U.S. first-class stamp is cheaper than in many other developed countries.

The OIG compared the U.S. to 30 other nations selected by country size and postal service revenue, and the ability to source reliable data. The list included much of the European Union, along with other countries including Canada, Japan, Brazil and Russia.

Four countries had cheaper postal rates than the U.S. And, while other postal services raised prices in recent years, the U.S. increases were considered moderate compared to these.

While learning this information was somewhat helpful, I'm still dissatisfied with constant hikes. However, they won't deter me from sending cards and letters, perhaps a few less. In this age of emails and texts, there's still nothing like receiving a piece of personal mail.

This past week, I bought stocked up on Forever stamps which are available for domestic and international mailings at the current rates of 68 cents and $1.55. These stamps never expire and can be used indefinitely. While my supply won't last forever, it will lessen the need to pay the higher prices — at least for a while.

How about you — If you're a card/letter writer will the increases mean less mailings? 

The weather has been a major news topic this week. It's been 🥵  in Nashua, NH, but not as awful as in so many U.S. states where folks have been affected, not only by unrelenting heat, but natural disasters and power failures. We hope relief comes soon.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
Stay as cool & hydrated as possible

26 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You can add to death and taxes the inevitable annual postal rate increase here in Canada. I recently mailed a book to a friend in Australia and a $40 book cost$49 to mail. It is getting ridiculous!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Yikes, thanks for the warning! I need to go buy stamps TODAY!

Tom said...

...at the moment I have greater concerns about this country than the price of a stamp. Be safe.

Marie Smith said...

Stamps in Canada are $1.15 domestic and $2.92 international. I had stocked up on stamps before the latest increase. They have all been posted. I send few cards any more, mainly messages to friends and family after deaths, which happen more often these days.

gigi-hawaii said...

I still mail my checks and documents every month. I don't mind paying for stamps. They are necessary.

Boud said...

I rarely use stamps, so my supplies usually outlast a rate increase or two! It goes down better if the increase helps fund retirement costs.

DUTA said...

The tiny stamps reflect and emphasize the bigger problem - constant rise in prices of essentials. I used to stock up on stamps in the past, but not any more. Many Post offices have closed down here for lack of rentability, and besides, I've stopped sending cards.

Sandra said...

We also don't use many stamps. Congress pulled a number on the postal service a few years ago.

Emma Springfield said...

I stopped writing letters years ago because of the price of stamps. Before that I regularly wrote nice long newsy letters to my parents and my husband's parents. It kept them informed about my children. I also wrote to other family members and friends. Now I send email.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

You certainly did your research. I did not know many of those facts. Really gets you thinking. Thanks for sharing this information!

Rita said...

As you know, I write letters all year round and send birthday and Christmas cards. One of these days I will have to cut back. I'd probably drop the birthday cards first, I think. BTW--thanks for warning me earlier. I stocked up last month. Good for a while at least. I wouldn't mind so much if the service hadn't gotten worse over the last few years as the price has gone up. With the focus so much more on packages (like Amazon) you'd think they'd be making money hand over fist. Oh well. The cost may slow me down a bit, but it isn't going to stop me doing something I have loved since I was nine. Snail mail forever!! :)

Bijoux said...

I had no idea! Thank you!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I found all of these post office facts and statistics really interesting!! I used to send a lot more cards and letters. But not so much nowadays. And we don't even to mail our bills, thanks to electronic banking now. The prices of everything go up with the years, and I guess the post office is no exception.

Anvilcloud said...

Compared to Canada, that is a bargain.

Rob Lenihan said...


They call it the forever stamp because the price is forever going up.

I don't write too many letters--I mostly use stamps for bills and Christmas cards (which I still write) But I am sick of everything getting so expensive.

Maybe we should go back to smoke signals.

My name is Erika. said...

I don't mail a lot of things, but I have a stash of stamps I've bought over the years. Forever stamps that is. It's too bad prices keep rising. However, I do feel that you have to support your retirees if you made them that promise. I do remember 5 cent stamps, and I was around for 3 cent stamps (I think). That means the cost of stamps has really gotten high over my life. Have a super weekend. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I was just thinking about when this rate went up-I bought a few more sheets last month-I think I will go their site and buy a few more--food has also gotten way too expensive too ugh
great article-thanks

kathyinozarks said...

PS I do still enjoy sending and receiving letters-a surprise in my mailbox-I will be 75 this year-do not use a cell phone, but do interact online with friends reading their blogs and a long time few friends on facebook.
Food continues to rise as gas prices continue to rise so it is all relative to what is going on these days.
I do pay many of the bills online, but I still have a handful that I pay through the mail service. I bought two more stamp sheets online I love the new hummingbird stamps.

Jeanie said...

I will probably be using horse and turtle stamps on Christmas cards. I overbought! The Shaker ones are exquisite!

David said...

Hi Beatrice, We've also bought a few more Forever Stamps at the current price...and we had some left over before the previous price hike as well. I also bought some postcard stamps. The cost of postage has killed off our Christmas card mailings but we've continued with birthdays, anniversaries, etc. As a lifelong stamp collector (95% old guys and a very poor 'investment' unless you like losing money), I've acquired a bunch of old "lick them, stick them" stamps...mostly for free or for 20% of face value. On small envelopes I use a postcard stamp plus the stamps that are needed to bring the postage up to the current rate. On larger envelopes its all about the old stamps. I still write checks to pay some of our bills and they get the full monte when it comes to the old stamps. Current postage stamps are used for birthday greetings and the like. Think about it...we are all old enough to remember the 3 cent stamps that were in use for many years. At the new upcoming rate it would take 24 3-cent stamps plus a 1-cent stamp to provide proper postage. Time flies... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

photowannabe said...

Thanks for the reminder. Going to get a supply today before the price goes up. I don't like the hike but I do love getting snail mail of the personal type.
Hope you continue to stay safe and enjoy good health.
Love your posts
Sue

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Are there two different Forever stamps for dometic and international mail? I didn't know that.

I think I still have several sheets of Foever stamps bought 3-4 years ago.

nick said...

Even at 73 cents (57 pence) your letter postage will be much less than the UK rate which is 85 pence. At the same time there are various proposals for cutting the service to save money, like deliveries on alternate days only or no deliveries on Saturday. Luckily we can now use email instead of paying to send a letter.

Kathy G said...

I don't like the rising price of stamps, but as others have pointed out it's still a better deal in the USA than in other parts of the world.

William Kendall said...

I don't recall the last time I mailed anything.

Carola Bartz said...

Since you got me into writing letters for LAI the answer is yes, I do need quite some stamps. However, I have always been a letter writer, having my first international penpal at the age of 13 (she was from Wales). I had quite a number of international penpals as a teenager and young woman, some of them I met in person and with some I'm still keeping in touch. My "longest" penpal is from France. She lived in Paris when we started writing to each other at the age of 15 and now lives in Lyon. We still write to each other, but now we use WhatsApp. Cheaper and faster. We met often, the last time was in 2014 in Paris. My daughter visited her in 2018 in Lyon during her big trip to Europe and South Africa. I love how these connections are continued by my daughter.
I have to say that I'm really not fond of all of these raises in the price of stamps. Two raises in one year is a little bit too much. And while it may still be cheaper than in other developed countries, the service certainly is not.