Pages

Monday, July 15, 2024

Caught Up Today

Patrick on Prince Edward Island

🎉 Happy Birthday 🎂

Today is the day that my significant other (Patrick aka Grenville) has caught up with me in age. We're now both 3/4s of a century. 

That's a lot of years.

We're both part of the Baby Boomer generation. This term refers to a people in the generation that was born between the end of WW II and the mid-1960s, from 1946 to 1964. 

In 1949, the U.S. population was at 149,188,130. By comparison, the current U.S. population is 341,879,132 (and counting) per an online source. 

I was curious as to how much of the U.S. population is currently our age. The closest online estimates were that of those who are 75 years of age, 38% are male and 45% are female. And that the number of people aged 75+ years has been growing at an average annual rate of 2.13%. 

If this is your birthday as well, here are some of Patrick's and your birthday facts: July 15, 1949 was a Friday. It was the 196th day of that year and the 28th Friday of that year. A fun fact is that the next time, those born in July 1949 can reuse an old 1949 calendar will be in 2033 when both calendars will be the same. His Chinese zodiac sign is the Ox and his star sign is Cancer.

Here's some things about 1949:

  • In younger days
    The 33rd U.S. President was Harry S. Truman (1945-1953). 
  • No. 1 song was (Ghost) Riders in the Sky sung by Vaughn Monroe.
  • The modem was invented letting computers "talk" over phone lines.
  • A new car was about $1,700, gas was 26 cents/gallon 
  • Buying a new home would be $14,500. 
  • U.S. first-class postage was 3 cents.
  • A loaf of bread cost 13 cents,  milk was 84 cents a gallon, a pound of bacon was 50 cents. 
  • A box of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes was 19 cents, Campbell’s Tomato Soup was 10 cents.
  • Coca-Cola cost 5 cents per bottle, 25 cents per 6-bottle carton, and $1 per 24-bottle carton. 
  • The minimum hourly wage was 70 cents per hour. The average 1949 annual salary was between $2,950 and $3,600.
Things have certainly changed since then.
This is one of the favorite signs in our apartment
We're traveling this week on yes, a(nother) road trip. We'll be in  Newport, RI, to visit areas we missed on our previous visit, including at least one mansion. The end of the week we'll celebrate the oldest granddaughter's 13th birthday also in RI.

28 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Happy 75th Birthday to Patrick (Grenville)! How wonderful that you are now both the same age for a little while! I am about a year behind you! Next year will be my 3/4 century mark, and yes, I am also a "Baby-boomer". I was surprised about the modems talking to each other over a phone line in 1949! I had no idea they even had modems and computers then? Wonder where and what they were able to do? Maybe another item for you to research and tell us about some day! LOL. Enjoy your road trip to RI and we will look forward to the pictures when they are "developed". LOL. Happy Birthday!!!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy birthday, Patrick.

Tom said...

...Happy Birthday, I have you beat by a few years.

MadSnapper said...

Happy Birthday, from another Baby Boomer, but I am 8 weeks away from 80. the bad news is my son will be 60 in Feb, born in 1965 and he is missed by one year becoming baby boomer. did not know it extended to 1964
have a wonderful time and I can't believe your first grand child will be a TEEN soon.

Boud said...

Happy birthday, little feller, from a reader who remembers when your generation was born!

Marie Smith said...

Such a cute baby photo! Love the recent one too. Happy birthday, Patrick! Have a great day!

Anvilcloud said...

Happy Birthday to Patrick. Yes, most of us in our overlapping circles are boomers. Enjoy your trip.

nick said...

Happy Birthday, Patrick. My sister is also 75. I couldn't tell you if she wants to make it stop! I was just two in 1949 and already a little bundle of mischief.

Jon said...

Have a wonderful birthday, Patrick - - and an enjoyable visit to Newport.

Kathy G said...

Happy Birthday! I'm ten years younger, and hope to have your energy when I get to your age.

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Birthday, Patrick. He is the same age as David, 75. I am 3 years older, 78.

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday from one boomer to another!

Jeanie said...

Three cheers and a big, huge Happy Birthday from me! May it just be another notch in the belt with many more to come!

Liz Hinds said...

49 must have been a good year - it's Husband's birth year too. Happy birthday to Patrick!

photowannabe said...

Happy 75th birthday to your wonderful husband. That's a good age to be..keep doing all the great things you do together.. Its the glue that keeps us together and going as strong as we can.
Enjoy your trip and all the sights.
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

Happy birthday to Patrick!!! I was born on 1949 too! And I always loved ghost Riders In the Sky! Hope you have a lovely trip! And maybe photos when you return.

DeniseinVA said...

Happy Birthday Patrick!!! Singing the Happy Birthday song to you. I can see the same twinkle in the eye as in your baby photo :) Another super post and a special one today.

Bijoux said...

A very happy birthday to Patrick, the young'un! I hope you have a wonderful trip and don't forget to have ice cream!

Rita said...

I have a couple years to go--born in 51. Happy birthday to Patrick! Enjoy your travels! :)

DUTA said...

Happy Birthday to Patrick and to his eldest grandaughter! Many happy returns of the DAY!
Enjoy your road trip to Newport, RI!

Red said...

Happy birthday Grenville. Have a great day. 75 ain't bad!

Veronica Lee said...

Happy 75th Birthday to Patrick! 🎉🎂
What a milestone to celebrate, and how lovely that you both get to share this special time together.
Your reminiscence about 1949 was fascinating—so many things have changed, yet some joys remain timeless.
Wishing you both an amazing road trip to Newport, RI, and a wonderful celebration with your granddaughter.

Here's to many more happy and healthy years ahead! 🌟✨

Coastal Ripples said...

Happy 75th birthday. Definitely a milestone. Great facts. B x

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Happy belated birthday, Patrick!

Carola Bartz said...

Happy birthday to Patrick.
For me, 1949 is the year my native country was founded.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy belated birthday to Patrick. I hope he had a super day!

My name is Erika. said...

Happy belated birthday to Patrick. I hope he had a super day!

David said...

Happy belated birthday Patrick! I hope that you had a terrific day... My birthday is this weekend...and while my wife is a 'Boomer', I'm part of the "Silent Generation". Take Care, Big Daddy Dave