Pages

Monday, July 22, 2024

Did You Indulge?


We enjoyed a favorite treat yesterday, not for the first time on our recent road trip to RI.

Many long-time readers of this blog already know that this favorite is ice cream.

We're very huge fans who never really need a reason to enjoy this cold treat. 

Does anyone?

Actually, it was to celebrate the day. In case you missed it, Sunday, July 21, was the 40th anniversary of National Ice Cream Day in the U.S. That's reason enough to celebrate.

In July 1984, under Presidential Proclamation 5219, President Ronald Reagan named July as National Ice Cream Month and designated the third Sunday in July as National Ice Cream Day and this year that third Sunday was yesterday. 

True, the proclamation only indicated a single 1984 day and year, but since then July ice cream month has become widely publicized by ice cream makers and sellers. So now, ice cream fans, like us celebrate more often, not just in July. 

We're not alone. The average American eats some 20 pounds of ice cream each year. Sunday is the most popular day to enjoy it. Vanilla is the most popular flavor worldwide (a surprise), followed by chocolate. California leads the U.S. in ice cream eating with over 4,200 ice cream shops. Minnesota folks eat the least. Statistically, men eat less ice cream than women; folks aged 55 and over consume the most.

Eskimo King in Bristol, RI
The origin of ice cream isn't really known, but according to popular urban legends, ice cream was invented by the ancient Chinese, brought to Italy by Marco Polo, then to France by Catherine de Medici, then by Thomas Jefferson to America. There's no proof supporting any of these legends. 

It's known that George Washington served ice cream and, in 1784, had a mechanical ice cream maker at his Mount Vernon estate. That's thought to be the same year that Jefferson developed a taste for ice cream when serving as a diplomat in Paris. Later, as president, he served ice cream in the executive mansion and wrote out a recipe for vanilla ice cream.

By the late 19th century, the U.S. had a lot of ice cream innovations. In 1874, the first ice cream soda was mixed by a Philadelphia pharmacist. The ice cream sundae dates to 1881, several Midwestern towns claim to be home to its creation. Historians suggest that ice cream sundae originated as a workaround for Blue Laws that prohibited the sale of ice cream sodas on Sunday.  Strange as it seems, religious groups opposed what they called “sucking sodas” and felt it should be banned on the Sabbath. 

Ice Cream sign in Warren, RI
Edible ice cream cups were patented in the 1880s. Milkshakes promoted as a health drink (why not?) became popular. The waffle cone was introduced at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair. Dairy Queen and the Carvel company claim to have developed the first soft-serve ice cream in the mid-1930s. Frozen yogurt, was introduced in the 1970s.

In 1920, ice cream's popularity soared after Congress passed the 18th amendment outlawing the sale, manufacture, and transport of alcoholic beverages. American breweries like Anheuser-Busch and Yuengling partially switched to ice cream and soda production to survive. In 1926, Clarence Vogt, a refrigeration engineer and inventor in Louisville, KY, created the first commercially successful continuous process freezer, the Vogt Instant Freezer. Ingredients would be poured in at one end and ice cream came out the other end, which eventually lead to mass marketing of ice cream.

If anyone needs a reason to celebrate ice cream, how about hot weather as a really good one? Most everyone has had some in recent weeks. But then, ice cream is good in cooler weather too.

Go ahead and indulge, even if you missed the anniversary date. It's never too late, besides we won't tell anyone 😋🍦.

The Eskimo King fiberglass statue shows a grinning boy holding an ice cream cone. These statues were originally produced for A&W Root Beer by International Fiberglass and known as the Teen Burger statue. The design was modified by the manufacturer to its present form with overalls and a lip-licking tongue. Years ago, Eskimo King held a contest to name its statue and the winning name was "Manny Flavors." The company's motto is "Where Ice Cream Rules."

25 comments:

Tom said...

...yes, I had mint chocolate chip.

Anvilcloud said...

We haven't had ice cream out yet this year. It is flippin expensive, but we should do it at least once.

Bijoux said...

Some great history and trivia. Funny that those over 55 are the biggest consumers. I have to watch my sugar, so I only have ice cream (actually, gelato) when I’m on a trip.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to hear the history of ice cream. But you left out ice snow...probably because it's July! I do have mu favorite flavors.

Kathy G said...

I'm usually not one to pass on anything that involves ice cream, but since my clothes are getting tight last night I had to stick with my frozen watermelon chunks. (Which taste like a popsicle, so no great loss.)

Marcia said...

Granddaughters enjoyed some wonderful ice cream in Switzerland. We did too.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I never need an excuse to have ice cream.

baili said...

what a sweet and delicious post dear Dorothy:)
i truly enjoyed learning about the history of ice cream wow thanks for sharing .

women eat more than men sounds so true but people more than fifty five eat more than youngsters oh dear i thought children eat more ice cream than anyone else
you guys look so lovely and happy ,i really love your perspective about life my friend :)
i skipped ice cream more than three years ago i think but your post makes me long for the treat without thinking much of it .
do you do some extra work out to manage weight calories adjustment afterwards BTY as i skipped because of it adds weight so i am curious
health peace and joy to both of you !

gigi-hawaii said...

I usually serve ice cream as the dessert at my dinner parties. More refreshing than cake and pie, in my opinion.

Ginny Hartzler said...

These are the cutest pics of you guys!!! Ice-cream has always been my comfort food. When I was a little girl, we were churning homemade ice-cream when I heard the jingle of the Good Humor truck. I begged for money to go and get something! Well, after those are two totally different kinds of ice-cream!

MadSnapper said...

no ice cream for me, but I did love it and eat it until 7 years ago. One of my favorite ways to eat it was at the A&W in a frosted mug of rootbeer

Rita said...

Growing up in Minnesota with a dad who LOVED ice cream we grew up with ice cream as a staple in the home--lol! The big treat on a hot summer night (no AC back then) was dad would load us up the car and we'd go to the A&W to get the kids size root beer floats in the frosty glasses! He got a big one. My mom wasn't a fan of ice cream and usually got a plain root beer. I guess we didn't fit the statistics. ;)

photowannabe said...

Ummm, yummm, ice cream is my downfall.
It was so hot yesterday afternoon that Dave and I jumped in the car, went to Walmart and bought two pints of our own choice. Apparently lots of other people had the same idea. The freezers were practically bare.
Hurried home with our sinfully delicious choices of Cookies and Cream and Caramel Swirls. Made a big bowl each and loved every last spoonful. Now we pay the price today on the scales but sometimes we need to massage our sweet tooth.
Love the photos of you two enjoying the blissful yummies.
Sue

Sandra said...

This Minnesotan has a small dish of ice cream nearly everyday after lunch. I'm trying to make up for my brethren!

Emma Springfield said...

Ice cream was my mother's favorite treat. She was lactose intolerant but she still had to have her ice cream.

Marie Smith said...

Ice cream is one of our favourite treats too!

Lois Evensen said...

What a fun post! Yes, we enjoyed ice cream tonight. Well, we enjoy it many, many nights. When I put ice cream on the grocery list it's like this: "Ice Cream - LOTS!" Ice cream is one of the reasons we have an auxiliary freezer in the basement.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

20 pounds of ice cream?!? We do love our ice cream but it is impossible to keep it solid in this darn camper freezer!

nick said...

Like most people Jenny and I love ice cream, especially the Magnum type choc ice on a stick. Full of artificial chemicals and flavourings but hey, it tastes so good! I wonder why men eat less ice cream than women?

Michelle said...

I love ice cream, though I don't eat it very often!

Ludwig said...

What a delightful story.
Facebook showed me an old photo of an ice cream cone. I didn't pay much attention. Then your post reminded me that we missed celebrating ice cream day. We will have to make up for it, but first I will post that old photo with a link to your story.
Great to have friends who watch out so we don't miss such a delightful treat.

Jeanie said...

Pity I didn't know that earlier but the good thing is that I can more than make up for it on any day!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Chocolate ice cream is my favorite. But I try not to eat it too often. :)

Rob Lenihan said...

George Washington served ice cream in the executive mansion?! There's another reason to love that guy.

I loved ice cream as a kid (I still do, come to think of it) and on summer days I lived for the sound of the Freeze Fresh truck's bell. They served soft ice cream that was quite delicious.

I also liked Sealtest ice cream sandwiches, which I got at the local deli.

Now that I'm older I have to watch my weight and my cholesterol, so I rarely indulge.

However, this post is cranking up the old ice cream cravings...

kathyinozarks said...

awesome post! we are enjoying lots of ice cream this summer too