Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

It's a Bit Late

But, still not too late to ask if you asked for or received Christmas gifts, especially as Valentine and Easter items are now on store shelfs (sigh). Note: this post as updated as some folks were not familiar with a couple of the tech items, and they are not alone.

Like many in our (ahem) age group, we're at the point in our lives where if there's anything we want, it's simply purchased. That said, if there was something special, a well-placed hint to Grenville would be enough to ensure it as a gift. He complains about my not telling him if there's something I want (not need).
Regifted to Grenville

That was the case a few years ago when I mentioned possibly getting Apple AirPods to replace the corded earphones being used in the gym. But, I wasn't sure if they were needed them and then shared this with Grenville. Unbeknown to myself, he had already bought them for me as a gift. Talk about putting the proverbial foot in the mouth.

Apple AirPods are wireless Bluetooth earbuds designed specifically to work with iPhone and iPad. They are wireless versions of the Apple earbuds that used to come standard in a new iPhone box. Newer models no longer have a plus for wired ear sets, leading to the popularity of these devices.

Happily, these turned out to be a really great gift used for several years until I gifted with an upgrade to AirPods Pro on sale. The original AirPods were regifted to Grenville who has been using them on his gym visits — win-win for both of us. These days,while both sets are not the most current, they're still working, and we have no plans to replace them.

My gift from Grenville
This was Grenville's gift to me this year 
 a tire compressor to replace the very much older one that was in my car. It's a handy unit to have in the car. Even though I never specifically mentioned this, I'd been planning to get a newer one.

Here's why, the much older one in my car was used to inflate a low tire last fall, which it did or so we thought. We didn't know that it had somehow caused the tire valve to get stuck and air was slowly leaking out and we found out after the tire went completely flat. (This is when a AAA membership is worth the cost, despite the service wait time.) The flat was replaced with the spare in just over an hour. And, I was not upset about the flat as, after checking my auto records, learned the tires were 7+ years old and overdue for replacement. The next week, I had 4 new tires and now a new tire inflator.

My gifts to Grenville
It as my turn to surprise Grenville with these gifts, who was
 a bit annoyed that no wish list had been provided to him. Really, neither of us did one for Christmas. Anyway, surprises are so much better.

One will be enjoyed now (blueberry jam) and the other will be handy later (air tags). That's because we're going on a much belated anniversary trip. It's needed after an earlier anticipated anniversary trip (Rocky Mountaineer train excursion) was cancelled due to you-know-what. It took months to get trip deposit monies returned. We decided not to reschedule that trip.

Apple AirTags are button-shaped Bluetooth trackers designed to help folks track valuables or often misplaced personal items (keys, backpack, wallet). Increasingly, they have been placed in travel luggage to assist in locating lost bags.

We have a 2023 anniversary trip in the works, so these will come in handy. Our trip is set for a couple of weeks after our August anniversary (details later). Glad we renewed our passports during the pandemic, and can travel for a number of years, starting this year.

My gift to myself was also air tags especially after reading how handy they can be in tracking misguided luggage. The colorful holders shown above came in an 8-pack. We split the color choices and Grenville chose the darker colors.

Gifts from granddaughter
Here's a tip, if you never want to get more of certain items, remember not to let family members know about those things or you certainly will have more of them in the future. 

Case in point, years ago, Grenville owned a John Deere tractor and usually would get holiday and birthday gifts with a JD theme, especially t-shirts. He had an entire wardrobe! Similarly, it may come as no surprise that our collection of frogs and penguins was in various  forms — stuffed toys, figurines, signs. Most of these, but not all, were donated when we moved from VA to NH. Some favorites relocated with us, for example, the large cement penguin and frog below. This pair formerly graced our front porch, and now stand sentry outside our apt.

Now, there's more penguins. Granddaughter Ellie gifted us with this penguin pair and a glass penguin ornament. These two have joined the other frogs and penguins.

Admittedly, it is getting a bit populated in this area. However all seem to be getting along with the snowmen (shown in last week's post) taking over residence on the shelf above, aside from this welcoming one.
Assortment of frogs and penguins on floor outside our apt entry
Your turn — Did you get any expected, unexpected or total surprises this pastšŸŽ„season?
If so, please share in a comment.

28 comments:

Bijoux said...

What fantastic gifts! I’ve been thinking that we need both the Air Pods and the Air Tags. We are in the same stage of just buying what we want/need, but will purchase some specialty gifts like candy, alcohol. or luxury bath items for each other. One surprise we received from our son was a year subscription to HBOMax. We’ve never had a streaming service before, so now we can binge some shows.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I had no unexpected gifts, Beatrice, and since we don't exchange gifts that was no surprise! But, hokey though it may sound to some, I have the greatest gift of all every day, yes, every single day - the gift of nature that embraces me and teaches me and never lets me down. There is nothing better than that.

Anvilcloud said...

When I was requested to supply a wish list, I couldn’t. Any wishes that I might have had would have been big items that might have to be purchased in time to come — or not.

Sue did get fancy air pods recently, and Sha got those air tags.

Sha have us the Disney Channel for a year. We requested it, but so far, I haven’t found much to grab my attention. I thought The Madalorian might be good, but it hasn’t grabbed me at all. We still gravitate more to Acorn and Britbox and have just begun a Prime series.

Boud said...

Years ago I put out the word that I didn't want stuff for gifts. Consumables or services only, trying to winnow stuff.

And the gifting is between my son and me, so he likes $$ for his own high tech DIY, and today I'm getting my belated Christmas gift from him: checking tires, fluid levels, oil etc on my car, to save me a trip. perfect!

Vee said...

☺️ Oh I obviously have complained of being cold as I received two electric throws—one from my daughter and one from my son.

Your penguin and frog collection is growing and is pretty cute.

Sandra said...

We don't exchange gifts anymore. You got some good gifts. I did get a coffee pot and chocolate from my son for my birthday, that was a nice surprise. I wish I could use AirPods, but I can't. I have equilibrium problems and anything in my ears makes it worse. :(

nick said...

We've stopped giving each other presents, it seemed a bit pointless. Now we just buy what we want when we want. We used to get some bizarre presents from an Australian friend, especially books that we'd either already read or simply weren't to our taste.

William Kendall said...

I don't do Christmas, and am glad when it's long behind us.

Barbara Rogers said...

Telling children to make a list...and giving them the sales papers on Black Friday...well my son and his wife then had to decide which things out of the many. I think I told my grands a couple of Christmas' ago some things I'd like, because they'd never given me a thing (which I didn't say). I did get a few things from one of them (these were the 3 adult kids.) But seeing someone open a gift has become the best part of giving for me.

Doris said...

Dale and I don't do big gifts anymore. This year I got a mug that I really wanted (certainly did not need!) and he also included a Starbucks gift card. Perfect! Loved reading about your gifts and seeing the penguin and frog display!

DUTA said...

I like the joy of kids expecting and opening gifts. As for adults, the best gift is the one you give to yourself.

Rain said...

We have a running "wish list" that we keep adding to so when Alex and I gift each other on holidays it's ALWAYS a surprise because we tend to forget what we've added to the list lol!

Jeanie said...

No unexpected surprises from Rick. I asked for a new birdhouse and new shoes and maybe an art store gift card and he came through. All he wanted was coffee and new bicycle clothes (which is a very big gift, I learned!) and I got him a couple little things (new ear buds, hoping he'd return mine which seem to have fallen into a black hole somewhere in his world. It's harder as we get older.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful you've had surprises

Earpod things, can't say I know what they do exactly. I have a small set of earphones with laptop. Never owned a walkman thing.

Rita said...

Got unexpected gifts from a blogger friend. Was a sweet surprise.
I tend to be on the practical side, myself. But I think I count my unpractical gift to myself of pastels this year--LOL!

Marcia said...

I told my youngest daughter to give me a gardening bench - she did. I told my oldest daughter to give me an amaryllis - she did. Worked out just fine.
Where are your going on your anniversary trip? We are headed back to Spain in September for two weeks and to Halifax, NS in May.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I'm not sure I understand the airtag thingys. I am way out of touch I guess. Don't use the ear things either...what are they for? Your cell phone? Or music? I don't like things in my ears. Gifts...well trying to remember. We do practical gifts like underwear and socks and other little items that we don't think about replacing until Christmas. My sister always gives me a new teapot calendar and a little mini Hallmark Madame Alexander doll ornament that I use in my dollhouse. And I give all the ladies in the family an amaryllis kit to grow an amaryllis plant in the house. It can be planted outside in the spring. this was a family tradition that my father started and I have carried it on. My hubby likes to give a lot of little gifts, sometimes things like cookies or some kind of fun things just so there are things to open up and make it fun. We have a lot of fun on Christmas and we do enjoy exchanging little gifts as described. Nothing spectacular...just stuff to make it a fun day for everyone. I like your Penguins and Frogs, etc. Those are cute and fun. Your trips sound interesting. Can't wait to hear more about them. Have a blessed rest of your week!

Christina said...

I received a surprised gift this Christmas, one that Richard insists he found on my Amazon wish list. It wasn't and never would be... a pattern for a pair of pants I would not wear, which should be obvious to someone living with me. My face must have been comical. The pattern has since been returned and I can now choose one myself.

I inherited airpods but I miss the volume control on them. I don't use them much because I get recurrent ear infections so mostly use a bone conduction headset (with volume control).

I bought an air tag yesterday! I thought if my luggage was lost, at least I could track its progress. I hope it works.

Linda P said...

I love your granddaughter's gifts. Displayed with the other figurines they look cute. We tend to receive garden-related gifts for birthdays. At the moment we're enjoying the Christmas gift bags and hampers of food and drink that we wouldn't buy for ourselves. Our store cupboard of non perishables is now full and we appreciate the kindness. You will be looking forward to your anniversary trip later in the year.

MadSnapper said...

we don't exchange gifts, never have, if we want it we go get it if we can afford it. No one can buy what I would buy as good as I can. I prefer to pick my own and overthink it for a while. the air pods are great, I have been thinking of them, but not apple cause i don't have apple. just blue tooth pods for what ever. and i would love to have the compressor, my tires need air now and its a real pain to put quarters in the thing at the station and fill them when they get low. i do the AAA also.. for just in case.

gigi-hawaii said...

I received a pink hat from my sister for Christmas. Not sure I'll wear it though.

CrystalChick said...

Those are all cool gifts! I don't like anything in my ears so they wouldn't work for me, but, I did used to like head phones. It's great that you could regift to Grenville and both enjoy listening to things at the gym. Have to admit... didn't know what air tags were. LOL
We've been going through the 'what do you want for birthday/Christmas' questions for some years now. He says nothing. I say nothing. We do tend to get the things we need through the year. And I'd be fine with nothing under the tree to open. Ron just can't do that though. So then I end up giving him a couple flannel shirts, and some snacks. And then he gets me various things and I'm surprised, etc. I've been thinking of doing a post on gifts for a little while, so will hold back on other gift details for now.
Looking forward to hearing all about your upcoming anniversary trip! I'm sure it will be so wonderful and memorable!!
~Mary

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Whoops folks, sorry that the post neglected to explain WHAT air pods are and the same for the air tags.
Thanks to those fellow bloggers who commented that they didn't know about them.

So, I revised the post to include a brief explanation for both items. Tech products can be amazing in the number and uses for them and admittedly there are many that confound me including all the updates for the devices we currently own..

acorn hollow said...

sounds like a very fun time is in your future. I have air pods and never use them not sure why. I love your little grouping it makes you smile.
Cathy

baili said...

Loved the sharing dear Dorothy!

My eldest son had apple ear pods too that had a little box for charging, it was new thing to see as most kids buy headp of two kinds thin with wire or one big to wear on head.

Congrats for new air tags, pods and tires my friend. I never had extra much money to buy st but suitable amount from saving but a person like me if had extra money to spend might have bought only what needed (true always been so boring lol)

Still with time I earned to be more cautious in shopping and be more thoughtful.

How nice that Patrick ask you to make a wis :) hubby mostly buys me dresses, shoes and bags like this time in mall he bought me four dresses that he did not mention he will specially when I already had spent quite money on books and painting.

I agree that sharing likening for something particular to family members can make your space full with same kind of gifts :)
Loved these old gifts you got and they still stay with you :)
Heartfelt best wishes for trips my dear friend! Have safe journey.
God will be your guardian each day!

David said...

Beatrice, When it comes to Christmas gifts, we just don't exchange them any longer with anyone. We give checks to our college age grandsons...but that's about it. Laurie and I buy what we want or 'need' as it occurs to us. I guess that our trips during the year are our 'gifts' to ourselves. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

DeniseinVA said...

I love my ear pods. Gregg just bought me something which attaches to the end of the pod, and you can hang them around your neck without fear of them falling out. I’ve lost one of a set and had to get new. This seemed like a good idea to him when he saw them. The tire compressor is a great idea. Interesting about the slow leak, and we also belong to AAA. We don’t use them too often but my goodness, we are very thankful when we need them. Those air tags are a great idea and your anniversary trip will be great, I look forward to learning where you decided to go. Your penguin collection sounds adorable. Love the stone one and glad you brought that from Virginia. This year we didn't gift each other, except for the beautiful bouquet of flowers Gregg always gives me on special occasions. Bah-humbug we are in dire need of downsizing and will tackle that this year.

Rob Lenihan said...


Love the penguins!

I had a low-key kind of Christmas this year, which was fine by me. I did a post about that owl adoption program my brother signed me up for and I'm very happy with it.

Take care!