Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

It's Beginning to Look . . .

I'm sure, you can all guess where this next line is going. 

Yes, it really is starting to look like Christmas, briefly outside, and definitely inside our NH apt. Since we're not traveling this holiday, we're making home as festive as possible.
On Saturday, Mother Nature provided a day of wintry weather that left a coating of white by early Sunday. The snowfall total was cut down by the rain that preceded and followed the snowfall.
The nasty weather outside gave us a full day to decorate the tree, which had been set up a week ago, and other areas. As noted in a previous post, our plans to get a real tree year were dashed by a management directive of no live trees, effective in 2020, so we have several pine-scented holiday candles. (To answer a comment from a previous post, we have always burned candles and there hasn't been any directive to the contrary.)
This is part of our varied collection of various sized stuffed moose toys. Some of these populate the area around the tree skirt and have been placed in other areas of our living room.
Years ago, the collection of toy bears was much larger, but the collection was whittled down during moves and space considerations. The large colorful bear was a Christmas gift from my brother (many) years ago. It formerly would be in my car during holiday travel, but this year resides on the LR loveseat.
In past years, a Dept. 56 New England village was set up on the window sill and extended to an added table. This holiday, it's in hibernation as the Christmas tree has center stage by the window with decos placed along the sill. It's a varied collection as we like toys.
The window sill is hosting a varied holiday assortment this year, including Charlie Brown and friends and the Grinch and Max. All these items were collected over the years and has been cut down over the years during various moves. We used to have a larger collection (tis true).

There's several Boyds Bear figurines — penguin, frog, of course, and several bears including our blog namesakes, Beatrice and Grenville bear. (In case, you ever wondered about our choice of blog aliases.)
These nattily dressed penguin figurines were gifts from a friend years ago and are always on display together. It might have something to do with birds of a feather . . .

Speaking of groups, here's another penguin collection that sits on a bookshelf year round. 
Snowmen are very popular in our household. A large collection will be on display outside the apt once the holiday season has ended. The ones below are not part of that group. 
The sax-playing snowman was a new purchase this year, just because, and plays Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and its cheeks turn rosy. (There's more on that song later in this post.)

This music box figure was a gift from a NJ friend, Ann, who since passed away. 
Seeing it, brings back memories of our friendship. Perhaps, you have similar memories of a holiday gift.
The window sill includes a varied assortment collected over the years from thrift store or craft show buys. The angel above was a holiday gift from family years ago, and seeing it we can remember them this year.
Our stockings were hung by the TV with care 
as we don't have a fireplace there. (sincere apologies to author Clement C. Moore)

The Nativity set has its own special display place and holds memories as well. All of the main pieces in this set belonged to my late mother. The creche is from a formerly owned set that has since donated to a local thrift store. They told us it sold within a day.

To end this post, here's the backstory on the classic, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. it was written by songwriters Hugh Martin and Ralph Blaine for the 1944 film, Meet Me in St. Louis

Martin later said it began with the melody which he described as a madrigal-like tune he liked, but couldn't make work after a few days. So, he tossed it in a wastebasket. Blaine, who had heard the tune, urged him to salvage it because it was too good to throw away. Together they worked on the words; however, the film's star, Judy Garland, claimed it was too sad and reportedly said, If I sing that, little Margaret will cry. (Child actor Margret O'Brien played Tootie Smith, her young sister, in the film.)

The film's producer (Arthur Freed) said it the scene was supposed to be sad scene, but they wanted an upbeat song. Actor Tom Drake (who played the boy next door, John Truett) told Blaine he should finish the song because it was a great song and that he would be sorry if he didn't do it. Blaine finished the song and his completed version was in the film.

Because those lyrics are even more appropriate this holiday season, here's the movie clip of Judy Garland's character, Esther Smith, singing to her young sister, Tootie. Garland's version of the song, which was released as a single by Decca Records, became popular among U.S. troops serving in WW II.
Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight (hopefully). 
If all else fails to cheer you, bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies as I did last weekend and it sure cheered Grenville up.

34 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

This line of yours was pretty poetic. Did you intend it?

"Our stockings are hung by the TV with care as we don't have a fireplace there"

How about:

Our stockings are hung by the TV with care
as we don't have a fireplace there

It doesn't quite have the metre, but I will give you a B+ anyway. :)

Edna B said...

I love your decorations. And, I love the video. It's very appropriate for this Christmas. My daughter in law is a champion chocolate chip cookie maker. Those cookies look delicious. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Ron said...

Oh, I am so envious of your snowfall on Saturday, it's beautiful! I can't wait until we get some this year. Last year we literally got one day of light snowfall that didn't even stick. What a wimpy winter.

And your holiday decorations made me smile from ear to ear. How festive they are!

That Yankee Candle, I've smelled before and it's heavenly. OMG...and your moose collection is so precious! Years ago I had a bear collection that I would leave out all year long, just because I think teddy bears are cute. I had them all over my bed and sitting in chairs.

And speaking of Charlie Brown, one of my favorite things about the holidays is watching, "It's A Charlie Brown Christmas!"

And of course, being a penguin-lover, your collection of penguins is adorable!

Your Nativity set, which is beautiful by the way, reminded me of the one we had in our family when I was a kid. We had it positioned under our Christmas tree each year. I used to love to play with all the figures inside the manger and pretend that it was a stage and all the figures were characters in a musical play. LOL!

Thanks for sharing the info of the history of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," because it's one of my all-time favorites. It makes me teary-eyed every time I see (and hear) this scene from the movie because of the way Judy delivers it. It's just so touching, isn't it?

Wonderful post, my friend! So heart-warming! And you're right, hopefully next year will lighter.

And those cookies look soooooooooooooo delicious!

Happy Holidays!

nick said...

Gosh, you certainly go to town with your Christmas decorations! That's an amazing collection of stuffed toys. We have a small artificial Christmas tree and a few other decorations, but nothing on the same scale as you!

Coastal Ripples said...

Lovely to see the little bit of snow outside the window. All your stuffed creatures made me smile especially the penguins. I do have a thing about penguins. Enjoy your scented candles and beautiful decorations. Still yet to decorate here although I am drying some orange slices in the oven as I type. B x

Barbara Rogers said...

What a wonderful collection of stuffed animals...I love them all!
And I was of course taken by the sax playing snowman. I'd be playing with him all the time.
I hope you have continued good health and happy holidays!

Linda G. said...

I love all your stuffed moose and Christmas decorations. My brother-in-law who lives in NH collects moose. I remember that their wedding cake was decorated on top with a moose. I certainly pray that next year all our troubles will be out of sight.

MadSnapper said...

I tried to pick a couple of favorites of all your stuffed Christmas things and at first I thought it was the Moose because I do love moose because they're to me they're so ugly they're beautiful but I also love penguins and I like there's two so it's hard to pick. You really have a fantastic and oh so merry collection to put out I think I'm going to choose as my favorite the little figurines that you put in the window

Emma Springfield said...

I have a question. You have so many lovely decorations, bears, penguins, snowmen, etc. Where do you and Grenville go? There isn't much room left.

Bijoux said...

I enjoyed seeing all of your decor. My favorite are the Peanuts characters because that most reminds me of happy childhood years. I also love the moose. My kids had a beanie baby moose named Chocolate that they loved. I remember my husband being upset that we couldn’t have a real tree in our first apartment. He smuggled in some fir branches one year!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

At the moment we really do not feel like it is Christmas, all I have done is put some lights up outside. That is quite a collection of toys you have

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I love all your collections...of EVERYTHING!!! And you know what? I'm enjoying the chocolate chip cookies too!...:)jp

William Kendall said...

Your first shot is quite dramatic.

Jeanie said...

What a lovely view and lovely tree, too. And seeing all your stuffies and figures is such fun. Love the bears and penguins!

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas made my list of sad Covid-related songs, too. I might post it! I'm doing my best to go for the jolly but Judy G. sure sings it with heart!

Rita said...

Wow! You have a ton of cute stuffed critters and figurines for the holidays!!

Funny, I always thought that song was a hopeful one for a better year to come and never thought of it as a sad song. Undying optimist?

Joyce F said...

Enjoyed seeing your holiday decorations/collections. My husband hinted he'd like some chocolate chip cookies. He likes them made with butterscotch chips also. Maybe I'll decorate more this weekend and bake some for him.

Michelle said...

I love all of this decor and the view....wow!

Lee said...

Oh! I love, love, love the stuffed toys!!!! Okay! Okay! I freely admit I'm still a kid at heart! :)

Take good care...:)

Rob K said...

My goodness, what beautiful stuff toys and decorations! You guys really go all out for the holidays.

I was getting emotional reading about the music box figure from your friend and your late mother's Nativity pieces. This can be such an emotional time of the year.

You blew me away with the link to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

My mom loved Judy Garland and it's impossible for me not to cry when I hear that song.

Thanks for the background story about the song--most informative!

Margaret D said...

The snow looks nice - here it's warm and sunny :)
The creatures look good too.

Jon said...

Your holiday decorations are absolutely delightful, and a snow-dusted day is the best time to put them up (it's even better when chocolate chip cookies are involved!).

Your tree is beautiful, and even though you couldn't have a "real" one the scent of pine candles is the next best thing.

It's difficult to choose favorites from the stuffed critters, but I love the bears.....and the Charlie Brown gang is adorable.
I also really like the Nativity, which reminds me of my childhood.

David said...

Beatrice, Very cheerful décor for Christmas! My better half has a little over 100 bears in her collection. It's sort of overwhelming when we put them all out at the same time... Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your Christmas decorations are awesome! I love all of them. The cookies look delicious.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

DUTA said...

Our Hanukah holiday starts today, on Thursday evening, 10th of December,and it's an 8-day celebration. Its symbol is a menorah with eight candles which is to be lighted for eight days.

Both Christmas and Hanuka are gift-giving holidays and are centered around lights, but Christmas has a greater variety of decorations and symbols (tree,lights, Santa,etc..) .

Lowcarb team member said...

So nice to see your Christmas Decorations, and the chocolate chip cookies look good :)

All the best Jan

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Beautiful decorations, Beatrice! Look so festive.
I love seeing how others decorate for Christmas. Every year I drive around the town to see Christmas lights. 😀

And snow! I wish we had snow in Florida at least one day per year. Heheee
Hope you are staying warm, and safe!
Happy Christmas season to both you and Grenville!

Susan Zarzycki said...

Everything looks so lovely and Christmasy! it's hard to chose favorites but I think the moose and the penquins would be at the top of the list. All you need are some puffins! I love the snow picture of your town. Such a nice post! Thanks for sharing.

Bill said...

What wonderful festive decorations you have. They get you right in to the spirit. Nice window view of the river and the snow, Enjoy the season.

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

What a marvelous collection of little figures! Nice Christmas story too!

Christina said...

I like your joyful decorations, they make me smile. What a shame that you are not allowed a real tree. Is it considered a fire hazard? When I was a child, we had a real tree with really candles.... Richard won't have that but I do miss the flickering lights of the candles a lot. I am a bit a decorations Grinch, we have very few but I am looking forward to buying a tree on Monday.

My name is Erika. said...

Your tree and decorations look great! I especially like those penguins. Together they make a great little group. And I am a Peanuts fan so I like those too. Looks like you are all ready for the holiday. Enjoy!

baili said...

i thoroughly LOVED LOVED LOVED the all decorations dear friend :)))
everything has brought so much life and positive energy to my day ,it is always a biggest joy of of my heart to see the all friends and fellow from planet Happy and Energetic with enthusiasm that comes from positivism :)
such peaceful happy moments that i spend here relived my soul with serenity as it is nice to learn that joy and peace is still being celebrated here no matter what :)

i can imagine the importance of gifts you have as gifts from family ,they would seem treasure during such time and will definitely comfort your heart with faith that no matter you can't meet them right now they still love you and you still love them
i love you for bringing so much joy to my day :)
more blessings to you and loved ones !

mamasmercantile said...

What a joy to have the tour around your decorations. All your collections are adorable so I found it hard to pick out a favourite. I am a fan of Yankee Candle too, some of the Christmas scented ones are a joy. The only one I have ever really disliked is the pine tree one it reminds of toilet cleaner ha ha! Have a nice weekend.

L. D. said...

All of these things are so fun to see. I regret I can't eat cookies anymore but I do admire them from afar. You have some fun stuffed animals and figures.