Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Christmas Card Bird

Have your Christmas cards all been sent?

Speaking for myself, 2020 was a big year for card sending and I outdid my previous card tally this year (more on that later).


Do you know what the most popular bird is on most holiday cards? Those who send or receive
cards may already know this answer.


No surprise, it’s the male Northern Red Cardinal, christened the “Christmas Bird” for its spectacular red color. It's become the symbol of beauty and warmth of the holiday season. Cardinals are said to represent faith, hope, and love. The word “cardinal” comes from the Latin, cardo meaning “hinge or door." It’s thought that the bird was named as a representation of a door between the spirit world and the earth.


A glimpse of this colorful bird brings cheer, hope, and inspiration to many folks on a gray wintery day. And, in the midst of winter, this may be why its bright red plumage shows up on so many holiday decorations, wall decor, pillows, wrapping paper, ornaments and especially greeting cards. It’s a perennial favorite and who hasn’t seen images of a cardinal on a snow-covered tree, mailbox, Christmas tree, and even posed with a friendly snowman.

The association between cardinals and Christmas isn’t just because their scarlet feathers add color to otherwise dreary winter landscapes. While the origins of the cardinal’s affiliation with the holiday is uncertain, some have said that red is a universally-recognized Christmas color to symbolize the blood of Christ, shed to redeem mankind.  And, for many, it’s a reminder to focus on faith and the hope and peace that it can bring.

And, red is also the color of Santa's suit, another perennial favorite. 


Unlike many northern birds, cardinals don’t head south for the winter and can be spotted seen year round. They’re one of a handful of few birds seen during the holiday season, perhaps adding to their seasonal popularity. Not only is the cardinal one of the most common state birds, it’s also the official state bird of seven U.S. states — Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia.

The above photos were taken in our VA yard after one of our rare winter snowstorms. We had a picket fence which offered a great cardinal perch. (The male at the top right was taken separately and then added in when this image was used on a holiday card.) 
This North American bird was unknown in Europe until the 1600s. Many other parts of the world, Europe, the Holy Land and those outside the eastern two-thirds  of the U.S. see this bird when it flies into their homes on holiday greetings. Experts have said the number of cardinals number is dropping here in the U.S. and that for over a century, cardinals have been expanding their range northward.
Another image that was taken at our former VA home, when this male cardinal posed on a Nandina bush by the side of our home. This evergreen or semi-evergreen broadleaf shrub, produced red berries which showed off perfect in the snow.

Currently, folks in Ottawa, Canada, Bangor, ME and Niagara Falls, NY, are enjoying the sight of cardinals when many years ago they had little hope of seeing them in their backyards. The growing popularity of bird feeders is thought to be a factor in enabling the cardinal to endure harsh northern winters and now they've been seen from the Great Plains eastward across the U.S. and into southern Canada.

Despite the cardinal’s popularly on Christmas cards, it’s not featured on the most popular Christmas card. That honor goes to an image of three cherubic angels, two of whom are bowed in prayer. The third peers out from the card with baby blue eyes, her halo slightly tilted down.


The inside sentiment reads, God bless you, keep you and love you...at Christmastime and always. First published in 1977, this card is still part of the Hallmark card collection. To date it’s sold over 34 million copies. (We received this card in 2019 and it's displayed outside our apartment with other cards received in 2019, recycled for a second display.)

My personal card count this year was about 105 mailed out, mostly within the U.S and several sent abroad. An additional 25 cards were distributed to residents living here in the mill apts. Thankfully, no postage needed for these, just foot power to walk the floors.


According to Hallmark Cards (which should know) the theme of the top selling cards this year included sentiments of Wish we were together. The company's head marketing officer said 2020 sales showed the most popular cards included front wording, like It would be so nice to wish you a Merry Christmas in personThe inside reads, But even though I can’t, just know that I’m thinking of you – now and all through the year.


I don’t know about all of you, but even without Hallmark saying so, sending a card can help feelings of isolation, especially now. Despite the popularity of text messages or e-cards, most people appreciate getting an actual card (holiday or not) and this Christmas more than ever.


Just so you all know, my offer to send a card to anyone who would like one mailed still stands, although it may arrive after the holiday. Regardless, send your info to the email address on the blog and I'll send one your way, and I always include a personal note.

25 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beatrice I love your Christmas spirit ... I haven’t really sent cards for years now, but your reasons for doing so make perfect sense especially this year. When I was a child, the only Cardinals I knew were on Christmas cards. (They don’t live in the Pacific Northwest.). My mom was born and raised in Louisville Kentucky , coming to Spokane Washington for a job in her mid twenties...met my dad ...etc. Anyway, those Christmas cards always made her nostalgic (although I didn’t know the word then of course). She would tell us stories. .... we were traveling when I saw my first Cardinal (well after she was gone ) and it made me cry for her!

Buttercup said...

I had a great card start and then I just fell down, thinking I had so much time. I'm hoping to make a dent in the next few days.

Rob K said...

You mailed out 105 cards?!?!

Yikes, my card count is nowhere near that--but it is one card more than last year as I have received your lovely holiday greeting. Thanks so much.

As always, your post is informative, entertaining, and visually appealing. I had no idea that cardinals were so popular, nor did I know the bird's fascinating history.

The same goes for the three angels. Who knew? Well, obviously you did, and now so do I.

It's not surprising that this year's hot item is the "wish we were together" card. Can't wait for covid to be out of our lives. But until that time, let's get those cards in the mail.

Take care.

Jon said...

There's nothing more cheerful and satisfying than receiving good ol' fashioned "snail mail" cards during the holiday season. It's a tradition that is eternally enduring.

I (reluctantly) stopped sending cards recently due to the high cost of postage - and the fact that it's difficult to mail things now that I live in a very rural area.

I love cardinals and see them quite often here in the forest. I've heard an old legend that whenever you see a cardinal in winter, it means that a deceased loved one is thinking about you. I don't know where this originated but it's a beautiful thought.

Thanks for your lovely and informative post!

Margaret D said...

Lovely Christmas cards there.
Love the Cardinal but I have never seen a Christmas card with one on it down here.
Take care and yes I send a few Christmas cards.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's been a few years now since we stopped sending cards, and we donate the money saved to a local wildlife charity. And judging from the greatly reduced number that we receive others have ceased the practice too. As for the most popular bird to adorn a Christmas card, here in North America I would have guessed Northern Cardinal, but I think that worldwide the little European Robin would win hands down.

Linda G. said...

I love seeing cardinals, especially their bright red feathers against the snow. Thank you for your informative post about cardinals.

I used to send out cards, never as many as you, but a lot when compared to recent years. I send a fraction of that amount nowadays.

Bijoux said...

We do see plenty of cardinals here, both outdoors and on Christmas cards. We sent exactly 100 cards this year, but 30 were to my husband’s co-workers, many I’ve never met.

Anvilcloud said...

You have taken some very nice photos.

There is a print of a cardinal in a snowy tree right behind me in my chair.

Cardinals were somewhat ubiquitous in Sarnia. They’re here too, I guess, but I neither hear nor see them very often.

Edna B said...

My card count is 75 to 80 mailed out, plus one or two overseas. I think it's great to send cards, especially this year. God Bless you for all the happiness you bring to others. Hugs, Edna B.

Barbara Rogers said...

I haven't sent cards for years...but this year with social distancing, I have sent a few with enclosed gift cards to local businesses...since I can't see friends to do gift exchanges. So my mail out is very slim. As well as number received. Texting to friends does give me at least a easy check-in. Many don't bother to find my emails if I send them, among a zillion other junk mailings. I've always loved Cardinals, and they are sure a bright spot in wintertime. Your photos are beautiful.

MadSnapper said...

zero cards sent from me, for many years. I still get a few from people who feel they must. your card you made from the cardinal is perfect. the cardinal is a perfect subject to cards..

nick said...

Very interesting that the most popular bird on your Christmas cards is the northern red cardinal. I've never seen one in the UK and they never feature on Christmas cards. Here the bird most featured is the robin, which is often seen in our back gardens.

I haven't noticed any cards with a "wish we were together" message, but it's certainly appropriate for the current situation. Hopefully next Christmas such a message will be thoroughly out of date.

David said...

Beatrice, Love your Christmas spirit! As for ourselves, we sent an email with photos of our tree and ourselves to everyone that had an email address and then just a few cards to others. (Sorry Hallmark!) We've also done Christmas letters in the past...both via the USPS or the Internet. As for cardinals, they are plentiful at our feeder here in East Tennessee year around. They also hang out in our magnolia trees. The cardinal is the state bird for Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia and West Virginia. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

mamasmercantile said...

You are to be admired to have sent out so many cards, your Christmas spirit is second to none. Some great cards.

Emma Springfield said...

I did not go to buy cards this year so I didn't send any. When I received my card from you it gave me a smile for the rest of the day. I have it taped to my computer. Thank you.

Ludwig said...

Thank you so very much for being such a wonderful friend!

L. D. said...

We are not getting many cards this year. I have been ill so we just are only sending out to those who send to us. We don't go shopping to get new cards so we are using up a lot of left over cards for sending.

Polly said...

Your Red Cardinals are beautiful, and like them I think our Robins are the most popular birds on Christmas cards here. I used to send dozens of cards but have reduced the amount over the last few years, now I only send to relatives and close friends that I see. This year I have sent a few e-cards.

Coastal Ripples said...

Well done on all those cards and the history of the Christmas card. In the uk it’s definitely the robin also red breasted that is the star of the Christmas card. Your cardinals look lovely. B x

Jeanie said...

Cardinals are one of my favorite birds and in the winter they are astoundingly beautiful against the snow. I'm not surprised. I like them much better than the angels!

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely displays! The Cardinal is always a welcome visitor and I love to see him on any greeting card.

Rita said...

I have always loved cardinals on Christmas cards--that flash of red--ahh! My card to you was mailed. I only send out about 50-some. Years ago it was about 120! I didn't know they still made the three angel Christmas cards. They were so popular over 20 years ago--they had mugs and pillows and all sorts of things with them on. I got a mug for a gift one Christmas and I think I had a plate that broke along the way, too. Glad they're still around. So cute. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks you for the card you sent. I just did mine today and will send them out tomorrow. I hope it makes its way to Nashua by Christmas. It is really interesting but not surprising to see cardinals on cards. When I was a kid in Massachusetts we didn't have cardinals, and then they arrived. When I moved here to NH we didn't have cardinals and then they arrived. I saw some at my bird feeder today. They're very regal so I'm glad they are popular on holiday cards. Hope you didn't get too much snow. We got just about 20".

Linda said...

I loved reading all about Christmas cards! The cardinal ones are among my favorites. Our grandquads go to an elementary school whose mascot is Cardinal. I'm so glad it is! They wear red cardinal shirts once a week.
I sent out close to 200 cards this year and enjoyed the entire process! Thank you for your card! It's amazing how many we have received. I save the cards and place the stack in my Bible basket. I pull one out every morning and pray for that person. This way I can enjoy the cards more than just once!