Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2020

It Happened (Not)

I get it. It's already August 5, so this forewarning that bloggers have seen display at the top of the Theme and New Post pages is overdue.
In comments that bloggers left on my Problem Resolved Now post they said that they had (1) reverted to the new interface, then reverted back to legacy, (2) avowed not to switch until forced, or (3) had switched or (4) were automatically switched.

Several commented that, so far, things were going OK despite working through some issues. Many more voiced their dislike for the new and improved version.

While I wasn't planning to post today, here's what happened. As noted in my earlier post, I could identify with #2 above and had switched, but after finding numerous issues, notably my browser (Safari) not being able to connect to the server found I could revert to Legacy Blogger and presto, not only that issue, but several others were gone. All was right with the world (apologies to Jean Shepherd) OK, briefly it seems.

Today, I can empathize with #4 above as what to my wondering eyes should appear (apologies to Clement Moore) in working on a new post was to find that Blogger had automatically switched  to the new interface. At 8 p.m. last night, I was finishing a post in the legacy version and by 9 a.m. had been booted off.

That's not happening for now, so back to Legacy Blogger, I reverted again, but for how long is uncertain. I just went to the banner area on the Home page selected Design, then clicked on the last choice at the bottom of the left side column, Legacy Blogger. I wasn't able to show it, because after reverting back, the only choice that shows now is Try the new Blogger!
One thing is certain, there are still unresolved issues with the new interface, Hopefully some will be resolved in future weeks. Until then, I'll keep reverting to the past as long as possible. Change isn't bad, but when it's worse than what went before, it's awful.

That's it for now — Rant is over. (Quotes in this text were borrowed from Twas the Night Before Christmas and A Christmas Story.)

As we all know, today there's so many more pressing issues in the worldwide to be annoyed, angered, upset, frustrated about and rightly so. But, every now and then, it's these very little things that can really be upsetting and quite annoying.

OK, it's Your Turn. Feel free to rant on, but please be kind and considerate.

P.S. Many thanks for comments on the recent Nashua This n That post. Despite issues in any city (small or large) we have found it to be an enjoyable place to reside.

12 comments:

Edna B said...

I know how you feel. I've been using the new blogger right along, but I keep meeting up with challenges. Today there was a new one. And yes, I do rant to myself. Only Pogo here to hear me and he just goes in his little house and ignores me. I'm getting past the rant stage now. I'm wishing you much good luck with your new blogger. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

MadSnapper said...

I say if it'll let you work in the old blogger do it because they're making all those changes and it's cutting up really bad I had issues with it that yesterday and the day before but before that it was working fine it's because they're doing something to it. When I get aggravated I remind myself that it's a free service that I've been using it for 11 years and never paid him $0.01

Emma Springfield said...

I was switched as of this morning. I will have to push my self to write a post to test it. So far everything else seems fine.

David said...

Beatrice, I've just adjusted to the new "Blogger"...although it takes a bit more effort, it isn't horrendous and I can live with it! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ron said...

As I mentioned in my previous comment, Blogger automatically switched my blog over to the new version, but I switched it back. However, right before it switched me back to the old version, it left a message that said it will permanently (in four months) be switching to the new version. Before leaving this comment, I checked my blog and it's still in the old version.

I agree, I don't mind change at all. But Blogger is notorious for upgrading things before working all the kinks out, which leaves all of us with frustration until they can figure it out. I have a blog at Wordpress as well, and they too update their interface. But they're much better at not introducing it the new stuff before it's perfected.

I'm hoping enough people complain so that they keep extending the switch over time until they can work everything out so that it works.

Jon said...

Blogger has been informing me that the new Interface will become default since last June - but so far the dire warning never materialized.

Just out of curiosity, I switched to the new Interface...and absolutely HATED it. So now I'm back contentedly using the old Legacy - and I don't plan to change until I'm forced to do so by gunpoint.

I have enough problems to contend with, without having to deal with all these annoying antics devised by Blogger

Linda said...

I reverted back to the Legacy one and hope some of the issues with the new one will be worked put before I must use it. Catching up with you and the posts I have missed doe to sketchy Internet in the country!

Jeanie said...

I was switched yesterday by blogger (not me). I'm working on it and sort of so far, so good and yet I just don't like it. And photos are clunkier. So, I don't know if I'll go back to legacy (they say you must before August 24 at the top of my page). We'll see -- I'll give it a shot, especially if we're all getting kicked to it eventually. Meanwhile, I'm prepping as far ahead as I can just in case.

Vee said...

Oh, yes, I understand the frustrations. I read that the switch had been postponed to August 24. Not so, I guess. Hope that things get righted before too much time goes by.

LL Cool Joe said...

I changed over as soon as they suggested and I'm getting used to it but I haven't attempted anything beyond writing posts etc. Not sure how I'll cope with changing layouts etc. although I rarely do it. I have to say I find some of the features better.

Anvilcloud said...

I was switched automatically, but I'll stay here now. For me, there are a few glitches such as not being able to insert a code for em-dashes, but other than that, it's really the same as old Blogger. I find no problem.

Polly said...

I've been switching between the two and didn't like the new one, but I'm confident with it now, and so far it's been ok. I agree with Sandra, if I do get cross, I remind myself it's completely free.