Pages

Friday, August 14, 2020

Dammit

Did you know there's a doll for times when that's exactly what you've wanted to say or have said (and wanted to hit something) ?

OK, some of you may have already known about this, but I hadn't seen or heard one before last week.

How did this pass me by?
Didn't know before, and now I not only know about a Dammit!® Doll, but have my very own. ↓ It was a surprise last week sent from a long-time friend in NJ. She told me she whacked hers against the wall on days when things weren't going well. You know those days we all have now and then, some more often than not lately.

What Are Dammit Dolls?
Here's an excerpt from the company website: Just give us a minute and we’ll tell you . . . Ever been so stressed that you feel a crazy urge to shout and destroy? Been there, done that. Which is why we created a 12-inch doll that can take a whacking! Dammit Dolls’ voodoo charm, fun prints and side-splitting poem quickly make it everybody’s go-to stress management tool. Not to mention it’s saved people tons in damaged property bills and prevented numerous arrests (we’re guessing). 


There’s a caution too: It’s not your typical doll — and it’s not for kids. 

The idea for the dolls was developed in 2010 by Drew Levich, a Wichita native and Los Angeles transplant. Now, they are part of a growing business and have gained popularity with celebrities like Betty White. The company’s website contains a variety of styles — classic, political, sports, cancer, here's a few from the website.
Images from Dammit!® Doll website

According to Levich, I wanted to do something that people would love, a fun product that would make people laugh. The closest distance between two people is a smile and a laugh and that’s what Dammit Dolls are about.

He said that some people thought he was a bit crazy. Your friends think you’re nuts because you started a doll company. 

The dolls are made in China (just so you know) and produced in limited runs with different patterns and hair colors. Years ago, Levich was quoted as saying, Dammit Dolls will never end up in Wal-Mart. We’ll never sell a billion dolls. When someone gives you one . . . it’s a special interaction. We’re keeping our brand unique.

How things have changed since that statement was made; it's not true now. An online search showed the dolls can be purchased at Walmart and online retailers, like Amazon.
Images from Dammit!® Doll website

Several folks commented that they would like to see one of these dolls in the image of someone who shall remain nameless here. Just check out the first one doll in the above collage. Hmmm look like anyone current?

Here's a larger image of the what's sewn on the front of each doll. I'm sharing the DD with Grenville; admittedly, we have hit the wall in jest with no yelling (we have neighbors).
Right now these dolls seem like a good stress reliever for lots of folks worldwide. If they had been USA made, I might have considered some gift recipients myself, but Made in China means not a chance.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
Cooler temps here. We're going on a drive

23 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If they make one in the likeness of Donald Trump I will buy it and slam it to shreds within an hour of getting my hands on it.

Ron said...

OMG....I LOVE this idea! And you're so right, this is a good stress reliever for lots of folks worldwide; especially at the present moment. And how thoughtful of your friend to send you one!

Reminds me of when they created VOODOO dolls that came with pins, remember those? You could get them at places like, "Spencer's."

You know, I could have used one of these a few days ago, when everything went wrong that could go wrong. It was a day when nothing went as planned. Not only was I yelling, "Dammit!" But a few other choice words as well. LOL!

FUN post, my friend! Have an awesome weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

Well, who knew? I have put them on my Amazon wishlist, just as a memory hook, but rather doubt that I will be buying at those prices. Maybe they are cheaper on your Amazon. Sometimes, it is expensive living in Canada.

MadSnapper said...

I remember these from the distant past because someone in my workplace got one for a gift and was passing it all around and we were all using it on her desk and are stressful job but I did not know that they are made in China or any of the other information here or that they still make them or that they still sell them

Edna B said...

I've known about these dolls for a while now. I sent one to my eldest daughter years ago when things were a bit trying for her. I think they are great. Of course, back then, they did not come in all these different topics. I like the doll better when it was just a doll and not a political thing. You have a great time with your doll. Hugs, Edna B.

David said...

Beatrice, I'd never heard of Dammitdolls before. Creative for sure...but yet another product made in China. Sad... I will admit that there are many frustrations today that are worthy of a good pounding though... Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Jeanie said...

Remember those trolls with the upright hair? Those were called Dammit dolls back in the day! I think we all need one. I remember when we used to keep voodoo dolls at work! They need a DammitDonaldDoll!

Emma Springfield said...

I love Dammit Dolls. Unfortunately, they were pronounced to encourage violence years ago. I used mine until It wore out.

Lois Evensen said...

Interesting, but I just can't get into the concept. I've never had to throw things around or hit things away when angry. I don't get angry. I get even. ;)

Michelle said...

Years ago, as a mom of small children, my own mother sent me one of these for my "frazzled" times. lol! I got a great laugh out of it!

LL Cool Joe said...

I never throw stuff around when I'm angry, but my younger daughter punches the wall so I'm sure she'd appreciate one. :D

Joyce F said...

These were popular in our area in the 1990's. The pattern is so simple to draw to make your own. The "instructions" weren't as neatly attached however. I never did make or own one.

diane b said...

I've never heard of them here. I'm not sure that I like the idea . It looks too much like a baby to be slamming against a wall.(Unless it was like you know who)

DUTA said...

Not an educational item, I'm afraid. It's ,however, an additional way for people to relieve their anger.

My name is Erika. said...

What a great idea! And even better you have one. I have never seen these so I am glad you introduced me to them! Enjoy your weekend!

Rain said...

Oh my gosh Dorothy that's great that you have one. At first I was thinking "why not just make a voodoo doll" lol? But I guess that would be very evil...the dammit doll would be more effective! :)

Bill said...

My mother sent us one back in the 90s. Unfortunately it got slammed a little bit too much and is no longer with us.

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Wow, that's a new one for me. What a great invention and quite a clever guy who is filling a great need, especially in the pandemic. Thanks for dropping by my blog and hope all is well with you. BTW, I grew up in north Jersey and most of my family lives near there, but have been away for over 50 years.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your post about a little doll certainly brought out some interesting points of view! (Coming late to your party gives me the benefit of not only reading your fun post but also the comments!). No “scream and shout” people in this household (our kids have been grown and gone for years )))... but that one with the orange hair could sure get a beating if we had it here.

Stevenson Q said...

Oh I would have to say! They do look like voodoo dollish but the craftsmanship is so clean and nice, I love it! That DT one looks super interesting and detailed I must say! HAHA Lovely share dear Beatrice! Have a great new week!

Kathy said...

Who would have thought? There is something for everyone. I wouldn't want one because (1) they are made in China and (2) I have finally learned to control my temper!

Carola Bartz said...

What a fun idea, but what a shame they're made in China. Kind of ironic, too... Walmart doesn't have a chance with me either...
I hope you don't have to "use" your doll too often!

Linda said...

Okay, that's funny!