Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2020

More Good Eats at Home

Way back in late May I did an at home food cooking post. Since we've continued to be mostly at home and still cooking, it was past time for an update.

Our windowsill herbs
In Nashua, NH, restaurants re-opened for outdoor dining in May. By July, they could have indoor dining, which is very helpful on rainy days when folks would not be outdoors. Social distance guidelines apply  and servers remain masked outdoors and indoors. Customers mask up when dining or entering and using the facilities. Some local eateries have also added planters with flowers and there's even several trees growing on Main St.

We have supported local restaurants on a weekly basis either for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Prices have been a bit higher because of increased food costs, but that's also been the case when grocery shopping.
Some formerly baked treats

Mostly, we've eating at home with one BIG exception — no baking, zilch, none has been done the past several weeks. This is very different from several months ago when banana bread made weekly (wasn't everyone doing this?) along with artisan bread. Also homemade cinnamon buns (they really were so good). Part of our self-imposed baking ban is part of a joint effort to loss weight. However, sometime in the future, a loaf of fresh bread and homemade pasta may be on the home dining menu.

We gave up on baked goods, but not entirely on pie and that's what's pictured below — this zucchini pie has ingredients of zucchini, eggs, Bisquick, cheese (cheddar and Romano), vegetable oil, salt and pepper and seasonings of your choice. Everything gets mixed together in one bowl. Leftover zucchini pieces were added on top with fresh parsley. This a very easy recipe and we enjoyed it with a side salad for dinner, then with toast for breakfast.

Zucchini pie (oven ready, baked and served)
None of our home meals have been very complicated. Cooking is one thing, but clean-up is less fun, and the easier and quicker the better. One-pan/pot meals are huge favorites. (Did I mention we both dislike cleanup?)
Homemade marinara sauce & zucchini lasagna
We like lasagna, but cutting out bread and pasta meant finding another recipe, and that's where zucchini came in again. Grenville used a mandolin to slice thin planks, which were then salted to remove some of the moisture. Despite this step, the lasagna was still more liquid than when made with past, but still delicious made with homemade marinara sauce.
Clockwise: Pork chili on cauliflower rice, pork chili omelette, shrimp on cauliflower rice & zucchini noodles

Seafood, chicken and pork are served more often than beef in our home. The top two pork meals were pork chili, made from a leftover pork roast with added beans and chopped tomatoes and spices, then served over cauliflower rice. Next to it is a breakfast pork chili frittata. Two shrimp meals were served over cauliflower rice and then over zucchini noodles (called zoodles). We're happy that summer squash is readily available at the Nashua farmers' market and in a grocery store, which sells local produce.
Cauliflower Tots (forks down from us)
Cauliflower has replaced rice for most meals in our dinner menus. It's also an easy side dish when roasted. Homemade roasted cauliflower tots ↑ got 2 forks down from both of us. Tater Tots have nothing to worry about in our opinion.
Homemade basil pesto

Pesto is a classic sauce made from basil, pine nuts, oil, garlic and Parmesan cheese. In supermarkets it's usually in either the condiments or sauces section. But, many store-bought ones contain cashews, walnuts and not the traditional (and costly) pine nuts. Pesto is delicious, but very high in fat, when compared to a marinara sauce, made from tomatoes, garlic, onion, and seasonings (oregano, basil and marjoram). On the plus side it has a lot of antioxidants. We use it on cooked vegetables, like (surprise) zucchini but not every day. For watching calories, marinara is better than pesto. Alfredo sauce won't win a health contest, but is a go-to for a creamy addition to a dish.
Veggie egg bake
Veggies, eggs and cheese play a big role in our dinner plans. It's also been a great way to use peppers, onions and zucchini in an egg bake and leftovers means a nite or morning or no cooking needed! 

None of our home meals have been complicated. Simple ones are favorites here. Cooking is one thing, but clean-up is less fun, and the easier and quicker the better. 

This post excludes recipes or links. There's endless variations available online. In some cases, I've combined several recipes.

Sorry if any of these food photos made you hungry.

18 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I have done zucchini lasagna, and it is quite good. As for zucchini pie, it's not actual pie when it is a main dish. So there. :)

Ron said...

Your window sill herbs are so cute! I don't have much of a green thumb, but I do enjoy adding certain herbs to my food (rosemary and basil), so sometimes I will purchase pre-potted herbs from various produce markets. To me, there is nothing more incredible than the smell of basil and rosemary. Yum-my!

Your baked treats looked soooooooo good! That zucchini pie is amazing! I'm a HUGE bread-lover. My weakness are carbs (especially pasta and breads). If I could live off pasta, bread and cheese, I would! LOL! Although, I do eat lots and lots of fresh veggies as well. You just gave me an idea with your cauliflower tots. Those look so good!

"Sorry if any of these food photos made you hungry."

HA! Yes, I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee, reading this post and looking at all these delicious treats; thinking about what I want for lunch and dinner, as my mouth is watering!

Thank you for reminding me about pesto because tomorrow I will be going grocery shopping and need to pick some up at Trader Joe's.

Delicious post, my friend! Bon appetit!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We still prefer to eat at home and at this time of the year we visit farmers markets and gear our meals around the fresh produce available there. Earlier this week I met a friend for lunch, something we had not done since February and chose a restaurant with a patio - but then it rained and we were moved inside, and I was not entirely happy with that. When the patio diners were combined with people already eating indoors I am quite sure it breached the distancing guidelines. And a crowded restaurant is not now, nor ever has been, my idea of pleasurable dining.

Kathy said...

I make something similar to your zucchini pie that I call an Everything Pie. Whatever is left over in the fridge goes into it. A great way to use up leftovers. And I haven't made zucchini noodles in ages. I have to put that on my menu soon. You and I cook alike. Quick, easy and as few pots as possible. Everything looks so good!

mamasmercantile said...

It all looked delicious. Such a good idea to ban the baking something that I am doing in the short term until we get ourselves back in shape. We have over indulged during the lockdown and are now suffering the consequences.

Edna B said...

I've had to give up a lot of my favorite foods because of the sodium content. So, I am not about to give up my pasta. It has no sodium. Only what I might put on it. I also love the "one pot and not much clean up" idea. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

David said...

Beatrice, You and yours are very creative and very healthy in comparison with our household. I'd never heard of zucchini pie but it looked good and worth a try for us. We don't bake either and we have been holding down our weight by eating just 2 meals a day. We don't like clean up either so we grill and use way too many prepared foods. We do minimize rice and potatoes. We used to be frequent patrons of restaurants and the pandemic has scotched that activity for the most part...also a weight control factor! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Emma Springfield said...

With a post like this you make me so hungry. Many of your ideas are already being used in my kitchen. Riced cauliflower is a staple in my house.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely to see such well prepared food. I have even more limits on diet, low fat and vegetarian...and so cheese has been cut out, until I can find some non-fat cheese. I love the one dish meal idea. I'm going to be looking for more of those now. I hate clean up.

William Kendall said...

My mother always made cauliflower with a white sauce and nutmeg.

Vee said...

Looks fresh and delicious. I went out to lunch with friends for lunch today. Most people were eating outside. We enjoyed eating inside. I seldom bother to cook anymore. You're doing well.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That all looks so delicious. Very inspiring. I may have to try some of these recipes. Yum!!

My name is Erika. said...

Oh all this food looks so delicious. And creative. Do you search for recipes or are these in your repertoire? And I will say again I really enjoyed meeting you both for lunch today! It was nice to sit outside and chat and people watch. We will have to meet up again! Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I think I'd like to have dinner at your house (or breakfast, or lunch!) You look like a fabulous cook, and everything looks absolutely delicious. Your bread days will return -- and you will create absolutely gorgeous loaves if they're anything like this!

Linda said...

I admire you in cooking and eating healthy! We do, too.....for the most part. Louis Dean got a good report at the doctor on Wednesday. We eat a lot of salads...and chicken....and good sandwiches. Tonight we had baked potatoes.
The more we eat heathy....the more we eat healthy as we get used to it!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Your food looks delicious. I've never made pasta. Like you, I also didn't make bread past few weeks to avoid eating carbs too much. :)



L. D. said...

I have not had supper yet and you made me very hungry. You have some good looking food.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Oh my, your food photos make me hungry! All so colorful and tasty looking!