Pages

Monday, October 14, 2019

Vintage Cars in Downtown

Far too often it's been said that they don't build things like they used to and, while that applies to so many things today, it certainly applies to vintage automobiles like these.

This past Sunday, a local church sponsored a car show to honor one of its long-time members, Harvey Shaw, an avid "car guy" who died in 2018.

Shaw was the owner and principal mechanic for over 20 years of an automotive center in Lowell, MA. He collected and restored antique cars, showed them and won numerous national competitions with a 1967 Shelby Cobra and 1956 Mercury Monterey. He was well known in area car groups according to show organizers. 

Two blocks of downtown Main St. in Nashua, NH, were closed off to traffic for over 2 hours on Sunday allowing visitors to check out a variety of vintage and not-so-vintage cars. The show wasn't restricted to a specific type of car and the only "requirement" was that owners bring "interesting cars." Show cars included 70s muscle cars, European and American sports cars, Ford Model A's, and cars dating from the 1930s through the 1950s

The weather cooperated with no rain, lots of sunshine, and temps in the mid-60s as Grenville and I and others looked at nearly over 50 cars. For some owners, it was their first time showing a  restored car. No pre-registration was required and owners were permitted to bring their cars the day of the show and pay the entry fee.
We are not avid vintage car enthusiasts, but always enjoy going to these shows, which most times are free to spectators. Grenville usually always talks to some many of the owners who are always more than willing to chat about their vehicles. A restoration is definitely a labor of love and these owners welcome talking about their "baby."

All the shows at the show had already been fully restored with this lone exception, a vintage DeSoto. The owner told us that he had recently purchased it "as is" and expected to spend quite awhile working on it. Maybe we'll see the finished results at a future show?
This show was a free event for spectators. Participating car owners were charged a $10 early entry fee and $15 day of show fee. Show proceeds will fund activities of local agencies serving Nashua and surrounding communities.

16 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I saw an oldie yesterday, painted in such a way that it looked much better than new.

Connie said...

How great to see this display!

MadSnapper said...

this is a show we would both love to attend. we often talk about how cars before the 80's had personality and were easy to pick out of a crowd. we both new what they were from afar, now we have to get close enough to read the name. we rarely see anything that we say oh look at that beautiful whatever... they are all the same. my favorite look for vintage is the rounded ones in collage 3. those fenders just bless my heart. maybe because they are the same age as me.,

Anonymous said...

Love seeing vintage cars. They really are beautiful.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I think vintage cars look really beautiful. Though I know I can't drive one. :)

Jon said...

What a fabulous display of vintage vehicles! It's really impossible to choose favorites - - I love all of them.

I fully agree with the adage that they don't make things like they used to. These cars (and trucks) were all unique, with individual style and class.
Nowadays all the cars look annoyingly alike.

Michelle said...

A fantastic collection of cars. I am partial to the red ones!

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos of all those lovely classics! Thanks for sharing them :)

My name is Erika. said...

I e never been to a car show but my daughter goes to many with her beau who is a car guy. This one looks pretty good. I love seeing all the old vehicles. Thanks for sharing

Valerie said...

If I could choose I would go for that green one. If cars had expressions that one would be a winner.

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm not a huge fan of vintage cars, but I do always check them out when we have a display downtown. As for vintage pickups, I see them on the road all the time around here. There is a reason a town this small has two large auto parts store and both are thriving.

Linda G. said...

We do go to some car shows. Like you, though, we are not big fans of the shows. Very nice pictures of the vehicles.

Emma Springfield said...

My sister-in-law has a 53 Chevy that she shows. It is gorgeous. I enjoy seeing the vintage cars and trucks.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Pretty vintage cars. Once a year the local town next to us has a vintage car day like yours!
Hope this finds you are enjoying pretty fall weather!

L. D. said...

What a great show. I remember as a kid sitting on one of the runner boards waiting for my brothers to get out of country school.

William Kendall said...

Real beauties!