Pages

Monday, July 22, 2019

Last Place You Looked

Why is it that when you've lost something it's invariably found in the last place you've looked. Why can't that be the first place?

Know why things you’ve lost or misplaced are always in the last place you look?

Because after you find them, you stop looking. But what about losing something important and feeling relieved when you looked in the “last place,” and it was there?

I'll admit it's happened to me quite a few times.

Last week, I somehow misplaced a camera case and it's someplace in our apartment.

Here's the scenario. I planned to upgrade an older point & shoot digital camera, which was stored in a small case. The camera was removed from the case, photographed for eBay sale, and put in its original box (yes, I save them). The case was not being sold but would be re-used with a newer camera. The camera sold last week; it was time to locate the case.

Despite multiple and repeat searches over the past several days, it's nowhere to be found. (The picture at left is a similar sized model.)

Grenville helpfully asked where it was last seen. My reply was that if I remembered, then it would have been found.

I'm certain it was last seen in the apartment. According to helpful Grenville it will be found after a new one is bought. (He's most likely correct.)

Before writing this post, another search was made and the case is still missing.

And, it wasn't the only thing misplaced recently. The last missing item was a small external power bank like the one shown here. 

Multiple searches came up empty until I searched a small luggage tote. Apparently, it was packed for our cross-country trip and forgot about because it hadn't been used.

Apple has a find my iPhone feature. Why can't there be a find my anything I lost feature and why hasn't anyone developed an app for that yet?

According to online sources, the range of things lost daily is staggering. One insurance-company survey revealed that the average person misplaces up to nine objects a day. Many of these items are later found, what isn't recovered is the time lost searching for
them. 

As for my missing camera case, there's always the remote (but unlikely) possibility that it staged its own disappearance, perhaps in conjunction with occult forces.

Sounds far fetched, I know, but Grenville swears there's a ghost named Abby, sharing our apartment. 

Maybe her camera needed a case?

What about you — ever misplace something that you found again or maybe never found ?

16 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, we can all identify!

MadSnapper said...

OH YES! this happens here also... the scary thing is, sometimes it is not in the last place I look, but is found in the first place I looked but did not see it there, as in I have already looked there, but there it is. I accuse bob of putting it there to frustrate me. that case is somewhere but where is the question. pretend you are buying a new one and see if it shows up.
I happen to know what happened to the 2 three ring binders a freidn gave me at tops. I laid them on the roof, idiot that I am and drove home with them up there, or at least up there when I left the meeting. did you sit your case on the roof of your car. ha ha

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

After I came back from vacation, I was looking for my library card and AAA card. For a week, I couldn’t find it. The funny thing is that I remembered where I used to leave the cards in my previous apartment!
Finally I found them right on my desk, in a small box. I am sure I looked there though.

I hope your camera case will eventually turn up. When you stop looking. 😊 That’s how it works for me.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I definitely lose things, but just the other day I found a button from the Cloud Appreciation Society that I had been trying to find for more than a week. I'm still looking for my peace sign button.

Emma Springfield said...

When my daughter and I returned to the hospital where she was born for our six weeks check-up they had all her records waiting for her. But there was no record of my ever having been there. They never did find them.

likeschocolate said...

Thank you for all the sweet comments on my blog. Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all of them. It was all I could do each day just to get to our destination and take care of the kids. Anyway, your story is just like when you are waiting for a repairman to come they always seem to come at the very last minute of the time frame in which they have told you they will come. So frustrating. Sorry, you had a difficult time finding the case.

Anvilcloud said...

I lost a hat for months and even replaced it. One night long after, I had an epiphany of one more place where it could be -- down the basement steps but fallen through the slats to behind the furnace. Sure enough. Many many years alter, we still have both hats.

I have recently lost my ID tag for the town's 200th anniversary event. But I still have the one from two years ago for Canada's 150th (as celebrated by our town).

Red said...

I've lost many things. Some things you find again and some are gone for good. What's really bad is when you don't realize that you lost something!

Michelle said...

I can relate. Have lost countless items. Some found, some not...oh well...

Linda G. said...

My husband lost his credit card in his boot one time. What an ordeal to cancel that card. He could have kicked himself, when he put on the boot a few days later and found the card.

baili said...

oh dear unfortunately pat is so right once you buy another one last one be found and it happened to us few time either

i hope your hubby is joking about ghost dear ,this sounds little scary because it happens with us often as research you shred here

mamasmercantile said...

I lost quite a valuable ring some years ago. I now wonder if it was in fact stolen as I never did find it. Good luck with finding the camera case.

Doris said...

Can I relate?? Most certainly. I recently found a lost drivers licence lost a year ago (it had been replaced because I had no idea where I lost it). It was in the van beside the drivers seat and center console. The van had been swept several times in the last year but was never seen before. Crazy, isn't it??

DeniseinVA said...

I can definitely relate. And when I am looking for something, usually something else turns up that I was looking for previously :) So, I find one thing I wasn't really looking for. We have bought these 'tile' discs to help me find a mislaid phone occasionally. The only thing is that I haven't mislaid my phone in a very long time. Power of suggestion? Probably!

Connie said...

Oh yes, I can relate! One for the plus side--occasionally while looking for a lost item I will find some other lost item that had been forgotten on another day!

William Kendall said...

Isn't it just a nuisance to know that you're missing something... and it has to be close by?