Pages

Friday, August 30, 2024

Friday Funnies

This post is for the birds — two of them.

A robin (not a nightingale) sang in Nashua last week while perched atop a light pole at Clocktower Place, our apartment building. It sang lustily for a full 5 minutes.
Robin singing in Nashua, NH
This light pole at the main entrance was the robin's song perch
For some unexplained reason, I thought of the nightingale, which also reportedly sings quite loudly, except that I've never heard one, except online. An online source stated that many people often mistake the sound of a robin singing for a nightingale, obviously they live elsewhere as this
 bird isn't found naturally in the Americas. 
European Robin
Nightingales breed in Europe, Asia, and northwest Africa and winter in sub-Saharan Africa. They inhabit forests, woodlands with thicke and can also be found in suburban gardens and parks.

This Nashua songster is an American Robin. There's also a much smaller European Robin which has a shorter orange breast patch with white below.

Robins and nightingales have been popularized in songs.

A robin was sung about the 1926 tune When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along  (words and music by Harry Woods) which became the signature tune of singer and actress Lillian Roth, who performed it from the late 1920s to the late 1930s. It was recorded by Al Jolson, Doris Day, Louis Armstrong, Dean Martin, Eydie Gormé, Bing Crosby and others.

Rockin' Robin written by Leon René was recorded by Bobby Day in 1958 and became his biggest hit single, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 with one week at the top of the R&B sales chart. The song is now in the public domain, as the owners never renewed the copyright. (This means that the works are owned by the public and can be freely used by anyone.

Nightingale (Internet source)
A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square was written in 1939 as a romantic ballad with words by English entertainer Eric Maschwitz and music by American composer Manning Sherwin. The title refers to a large square in the Mayfair area of London. 

The record was made popular by Vera Lynn during the WW II. It first charted in December 1940, peaking at No. 2. Long considered a jazz standard, the tune has been recorded by singers including: Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Bobby Darin, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Mel Tormé, Harry Connick Jr. and Rod Stewart.

Nightingale is a song written by Carole King and David Palmer. It first appeared on her top-selling album Wrap Around Joy, released in mid-July 1974, and was released as a single in December 1974. The song, like the album, got off to a slow start, but eventually peaked at No. 9 in the Billboard Hot 100, in March 1975, and spent a week at No. 1 on the Easy Listening chart.

While robins can be heard in a city like Nashua, the chances of hearing a nightingale sing in the city of London are very slim. 

BIG Thanks to everyone for your comments on our 25th Anniversary celebration of dining in local Nashua, NH, restaurants for an entire week — it was delicious fun. 

This is Labor Day weekend considered the last major U.S. summer holiday. The actual holiday is always celebrated on the first Monday in September. It was created to celebrate  the social and economic achievements of American workers.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
All aboard — We're going on a scenic train ride in NH

To answer fellow blogger Pam's question about this excursion, it starts in Meredith, NH, where we board the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad. The 2-hour round trip is along the western shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, the largest lake in the state of NH located in the Lakes Region at the foothills of the White Mountains. 

Lake "Winnie" as locals refer to it, is about 21 miles long, 1 to 9 miles wide, covers 69 square miles and has a maximum depth of 180 feet.

24 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The Confederation Trail here always has robins in the summer. They aren’t as noticeable now.

Enjoy the train. Take lots of photos!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

We don't see Robins here very often, except when they are migrating through in the winter and then again in the spring back up to you! And I don't know that I've ever seen a Nightingale. I may need to look it up because I don't think I even know what it looks like. I missed your Anniversary dining post, so I guess I need to backtrack and see what you've been up to. I hope you have a lovely Labor Day Weekend. We don't have any special plans, just same old same old, but it's nice that it signals the "end of summer", sort of, but not necessarily in temperatures here! Still, I start thinking about fall decorations and getting into the autumn mood. Take care my friend in NH!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I just noticed that you are going on a scenic train ride in NH! Which one and where? Have you ever done the one from North Conway up into Crawford Notch? That's a beautiful ride, but better in the fall when the leaves are showing off their color!

Tom said...

Rockin' Robin was a huge hit for Bobby Day in 1958. It's still part of my spring.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The robin that people refer to in the same breath as Nightingale is not the American Robin but the little European Robin (Erithacus rubecula), a different bird entirely, not even in the same family. “Our” robin is not in fact a robin. It is a thrush. Its scientific name, Turdus migratorius, means migratory thrush. Apparently early European settles to North America, nostalgic for what they had left behind, named the first bird they saw with a red breast, Robin.

Sandra said...

Robins are common here. Not Nightingales. Enjoy your train excursion.

nick said...

Talking of songs about birds, I'm reminded of the Swallow Song by Joan and Mimi Baez. A beautiful song. I was surprised to hear that Lake Winnipesaukee is the largest lake in the US, as I've never heard of it. Wikipedia says it's the largest lake in New Hampshire.

Bijoux said...

We get robins here year round, which always confuses people. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a nightingale.

Jon said...

Thanks for another lovely post. I really like the first photo - - and I've never seen a nightingale before. Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

kathyinozarks said...

I Loved your post! The bird's songs are just so special
Happy weekend

Rita said...

No nightingales, but lots of robins here.
Have a great trip! :)

mimmylynn said...

Your lovely bird pictures would put John James Audubon to shame. They are great.

Barbara Rogers said...

We often are serenaded by robins, usually in the spring. I don't think nightingales are even present in North America...without looking it up so I may be wrong. And English robins are an entirely different species from American robins. I wonder if their songs are different too!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I remember the Robin song, but never heard of the Nightengale one. Nightingales are a type of Thrush.

MadSnapper said...

I have been known to shout out the back yard at the Mockingbird all right already we've heard it all before many times could you give us a little piece? Haha I don't know if I've ever heard of Robin if I did I don't know it. I find the Cardinal when he is feeling loving towards the female is rather loud and long haha. Have a wonderful time writing that train I'm feeling a little jealous

Lowcarb team member said...

I always enjoy seeing robins, our European ones are slightly different to yours.

All the best Jan

Anvilcloud said...

The long weekend is here. Enjoy.

Rob Lenihan said...

The Jackson Five covered Rockin Robin in 1972 and I remember my high school French teacher complaining that he had suffered through the first version when he was a kid and now he had to endure the reboot.

I love "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square." Brian Setzer, formerly of the Stray Cats, did an album of standards that included this song, but it did not compare to Vera Lynn's version.

I had a little trouble placing Carole King's "Nightingale" so I bounced over to YouTube and it came back to me. Thanks for the reminder!

MARY G said...

Our robins here are not singing. They are stoking up getting ready to migrate. I guess you either have an early bird migrating or a year round resident.
I heard a nightingale in northern England. Not at all like our robin, in my recollection at any rate.
How about 'The Owl and the Nightingale went to sea ..."

David said...

Hi Beatrice, Your post certainly yielded a lot of bird related feedback and information. I love the Mockingbirds as they are quite attractive and they sing everyone else's songs...no copyright needed! Laurie and drove around part of Lake Winnipesaukee during our New England exploration a few years back. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time for the rail excursion...but it is a beautiful area. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

baili said...

A sweet sharing dear Dorothy
Reading it makes me nostalgic as i have heard nightingale a lot back in my native town
Boys would catch robin and tie one of their feet and would make them sit on their hand proudly
That would upsete me
Hope your train ride was fun
Best wishes

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Robins this summer in this area of Vermont have been very much into singing. Some afternoons the singing went on for a very long time. Beautiful post. The UK robin is adorable.

tz_garden said...

What a gorgeous robin, ours have more of a rusty red color.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I wish we had robins in Florida.