Pages

Saturday, February 3, 2024

Waltzing Through

The post title is a reference to waltz music being in 3/4 time. 

Today my age is best described in a similar way. Yes, once a year this date comes around whether welcomed or not. But, I am in not complaining. As a famous statesman famously said. "It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years . . ." (Abraham Lincoln)

It's hard for me to fathom that today marks a major milestone in my life, three-quarters of a century to be exact, and perhaps wishing it were a bit less.

As a toddler and today

During a phone chat with my (slightly) younger brother this week, we were reminded of the words our late mother, and certainly others, have cautioned: "Don't get old."

And, the alternative is?

Let's not go there, we both agreed, while noting that longevity seems to run in our family. He laughed when reminded that our age difference is just 3 years.

Personally, I'm thankful for many things in my life, especially the love and support of my best friend and husband, Patrick, and for friends, near and far, who have sent well wishes by mail, text, email or phone call. Birthday cards received to date are displayed on bookcases in our apt as is our usual habit for cards. It makes me happy to see them every day. Friendship is not only the best gift, but certainly a priceless gift, to be remembered is even nicer and much appreciated.

Some fellow bloggers asked in their comments if I was doing anything "special" today. A fellow resident who is 93 years young, and my Scrabble playing partner here, invited us to a homemade crepes breakfast, which was delicious. Patrick is treating me to dinner at a downtown restaurant after he was told (politely) that no gift is needed. That said, my future gift to myself will be a new computer to replace my aging (and getting slower) desktop. The big question is another desktop or a notebook PC with all the "bells and whistles" to last a few years (or longer). Opinions welcomed in a comment.

Birthday wishes on the bookcase included duplicate cards (a fun coincidence)
And, while on the subject of a waltz tempo, my favorite 3/4 tune is The Christmas Waltz, but only the version done first by Frank Sinatra. It's been covered many times by a number of popular artists and, while it's an oft played popular holiday tune, it's never been #1. 

The backstory (of course): The song was written for Sinatra by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne and recorded in 1954. During a hot spell in Los Angeles, Cahn received a call from Styne who told him: 'Frank wants a Christmas song." Cahn initially resisted, but Styne was emphatic that Sinatra wanted a new Christmas song. Styne had been working on a waltz to which Cahn added the lyrics and Sinatra recorded A Christmas Waltz. 

So in honor of my own 3/4s today, here's a link to The Christmas Waltz.
Maybe, it's one of your favorites as well, no offense taken, if not (smile).

31 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Three score years and fifteen! Congratulations!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy ! What an auspicious day for you. Enjoy your day and celebrate all weekend as you waltz away with your sweetheart.

Rita said...

Happy birthday, Dorothy!
I have never heard this song before. Obviously never became a classic song you'd hear every Christmas. I wonder if Sinatra was annoyed--lol! It's a pretty song, though. :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Here ae a few more wishes for your birthday being happy and the beginning of another year of waltzing around enjoying life!

DUTA said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy! Many happy returns of the Day!

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday, Dorothy!! The way we don't get old is to think young, which you do. I know that Sinatra song. Enjoy your special day.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Birthday!
You appear to be a young 50 something.

MadSnapper said...

Happy Birthday and I did get a smile about the duplicates. I remember thinking i was 3/4 of a century old and now I am 4 years past that, I can tell you I can feel the difference from there to here. My brother is 4 years younger than I am.. I jumped over to here the song, and not one i have heard before. also i have no clue what 3/4 time is. Enjoy your day and I wish you many more

Bijoux said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your weekend.

Coastal Ripples said...

Wishing you a very happy birthday. And yes you’re still just a spring chicken. Enjoy your special day. B x

photowannabe said...

Wishing you the very happiest of birthdays. You have reached a wonderful milestone too.
The Christmas Waltz is one of my favorites. I had forgotten the title of it and so enjoyed listening again to it just now. Loved the background info.
Enjoy your special day..
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Are you doing anything special? Hey, we are the same age! My birthday is next month. What a lot of wonderful cards you got, you must have so many lovely friends. I love waltzes, so was anxious to hear this song. I had never heard of the title before. Turns out it is a song I have always known well, just never knew the title!

nick said...

I hope you're having a very happy birthday. As you say, friendship is indeed a priceless gift.

Emma Springfield said...

Christmas music is always appreciated. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I hope you get to enjoy another 75.

Anvilcloud said...

Playing it now. It does not feel waltzy to me. At least, it doesn't make me want to keep time with my feet. 😁🎶

As for you, Happy 75th.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you!! Congratulations on making it to the 3/4 century mark! That is a wonderful milestone! It's funny that your mother said exactly what my father said, "don't get old", and my response was "What's my alternative?" LOL. We must be nuts off the same tree! LOL. I love that your friends also must be "nuts off the same tree", as you got two cards three times each, and then some very nice other cards as well! I love seeing those kinds of fun things happening. My sister has sent me the same card of two little sisters standing next to each other at least three times, so I started sending it back to her! LOL. Hallmark needs to change their stock more often. LOL. I hope you have enjoyed every bit of your birthday. So very happy for you!! May God bless you with many more!!

My name is Erika. said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy. Age is just a number, and you've certainly be showing from everything you do that you are not sitting around wasting your life. And you are not old because of that. I also love that photo of you in your plaid flannel. You look like a native New Englander. :) I hope you had a super day. hugs-Erika

Linda G. said...

Happy birthday Dorothy! As to laptop vs desktop computer, I have both. The laptop comes in handy for travel.

baili said...

precious friend Dorothy i came to your place last night via my phone but seeing the changed writing style which was really difficult to read for my weak eyes i gave up and decided to wait for power so i could read on laptop screen which appeared only when we arose for bed sadly.

Many Many Happy Returns Of the Days dear friend !

as i say often it is always great pleasure to read your blog and wisdom you share here makes me learn lot thankfully!

you inspire with how you are taking everything wisely in life specially travels and ,books ,cooking and music and photos you share brig joy to my days.
i wish you more health peace and happiness in life and more love of course my friend!
hugs and blessings!

baili said...

i enjoyed the birthday song thoroughly :) thanks for link

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Baili, my blogger friend, thank you very much for the well wishes and for letting me know that you found the changed font harder to read. While, it's always nice to try something "new", I do appreciate being told that it's not "better" and so I have changed to a more common font vs. one of the Google add-ons which I had used previously.

Debby said...

I have not heard that song before either. Happy birthday, Beatrice. Getting older is a challenge, to be sure, but I have outlived my father. I don't take my years for granted.

Jon said...

Dorothy, I am late reading your post! Sending warm wishes, birthday blessings, and all positive adventures for another year. Your childhood photo is so sweet.

I gave up counting the years when I turned fifty.Maintaining a young spirit and an active life is the best way to combat aging.

Thank you for being such a thoughtful, caring person. You are a treasured friend.
Hugs, Jon

Marie Smith said...

Happy birthday to you! Enjoy every minute!

Rob Lenihan said...


Happy Birthday!

Carola Bartz said...

Happy belated birthday, Dorothy! "Don't get old" really is not a good advice because it beats the alternative. Maybe it was meant as not getting old in mind but remaining open, active and curious.
More than 30 years ago, a Norwegian friend of mine turned 30 and complained heavily about it, stating that from now on there really was no reason to celebrate any more birthdays. After another couple of years with the same complaint I asked her whether she would prefer not to have any more birthdays and being six feet under instead - that put an end to that complaint.
Your computer question: I have a desktop that I don't use often, and a laptop that I use all the time. I would never go back to a desktop only. I love the flexibility of the laptop, I can take it pretty much everywhere. Weather allowing I love to write on my laptop out in the garden, something I was never able to do with my desktop.

gigi-hawaii said...

Congratulations on turning 75. May you have many more years on this Earth. Aloha from Hawaii.

Rain said...

Happy Birthday my dear Friend!! ♥♥♥

Marcia said...

Belated birthday greetings from your neighbor to the north. Hope the celebration was fun.

Katerinas Blog said...

Happy birthday!! Continue to grow with many hobbies and interests!

David said...

Hi Dorothy, Sounds like you had a great birthday. That cake sure looks good! Comparatively, you're about the age of one of my nieces. Just a youngster! Happy Belated Birthday! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave