Pages

Thursday, February 8, 2024

Mah Jongg Anyone?

That the game of mah jongg (Americanized name) supposedly sharpens memory, improves concentration, and challenges the brain. It's known by various names: mah jongg, mah jong, mahjong or maahj and there are two versions, Chinese and American

Since I celebrated a milestone birthday recently, I thought that if learning the game would help in even one of those areas, then why not?

Even better, the public library here in Nashua, NH, was offering a series of four free lessons for American mah jongg with a request that those at the first session commit to attend all the weekly sessions. That's understandable as the two sisters teaching the class were also volunteering their time.

So given an opportunity to possibly improve my cognitive abilities and get at least an introduction to a game that has always fascinated me — what's not to like. After all, free is good as well.

Internet source
If you're wondering why learning this game is good for your mind, it's because it requires a player to be calculating and decide on every move using strategy. These variables must be balanced together in a short time — before another person wins. 

OK, not to target specific age groups as I'm also in the seniors category, but researchers, who studied the effects of playing the game on human brains, concluded that compared to non-players, the minds of mah jongg players were sharper with longer lasting memory. A conclusion was that regular playing could improve short-term memory, attention, and logical thinking in middle aged and elderly adults. Studies have also shown that stimulating intelligence through game playing and puzzling solving could even prevent or delay dementia.

Hmmm, now where was I? (just kidding)

Internet source
Experts are mixed on whether games have long-term brain benefits. Some counter that, while games stimulate the brain in important ways, other beneficial and scientifically proven ways to improve brain health, include physical activity, diet and social engagement. Research has not proven if these might actually prevent cognitive decline.

In short, there's agreement and disagreement even among aging experts. Regardless, most agree there’s more good than harm done playing games, doing puzzles or brain games. A good thing to know.

Maj jongg solitaire
The mah jongg game that many play through online apps is a single-player matching game,
 often referred to as mah jongg solitaire. It uses the same tiles as in traditional Chinese mah jong.

I've played some of these versions without knowing that it was nothing like playing the actual game.

The traditional Chinese game, mah jong, which translates to sparrows, is a four-player game with rules similar to the card game of rummy. Sparrows are shown on traditional sets of tiles. Theories as to why mah jongg is so named are that the moving of tiles resembles the noise of sparrows. (To me, the moving around of mah jongg tiles doesn't sound anything like bird sounds, just clatter.) 

As noted above, mah jongg is a rummy-like game that's played with tiles not cards. While it started in China as a variant of card games, its exact origins are shrouded in story and myth. Some claim it was the game of Chinese royalty, played in secret to keep the knowledge private. Others claim it was invented by a Chinese general to amuse troops during long months of battle. 

Joseph P. Babcock
Its introduction in the U.S. was through Joseph P. Babcock, an engineer who worked for the Standard Oil Company in Shanghai and Beijing in the 1920s where he and his wife enjoyed playing a Chinese tile game. He created a simplified version of Mahjong with a goal of introducing the game to America. 

He trademarked the spelling Mah-Jongg and began exporting sets to the states. Since the game could be confusing to Westerners and to increase interest, Babcock added Arabic numerals and Western letters, simplified, published rules that became the American standard and invented racks to facilitate playing. 

When the game was introduced in the U.S. and incorporated into an American version, it was eagerly enjoyed by not only the American public, but also by European game players. As the sets became popular, Babock, ever the promoter and salesman, advertised the game as a cerebral pursuit. He fabricated a posthumous endorsement from Confucius, odd considering that Confucious had died some 2,000 years before the game was ever played.
Mah-Jongg trademark advertisement page
Toys and Novelties, September 1924 
The main difference between American mah jongg and Chinese mahjong, the traditional game established in China, is that hands allowed in American mah jongg are listed on a card. These hands change on an annual basis, but the allowed hands in Chinese mahjong never change. Another key difference is that in American mah jongg, The Charleston involves the passing of three unwanted tiles from one player to another. 

A Chinese mahjong set has 144 tiles, an American set has 152 (with the inclusion of 8 joker tiles) and can cost more as it has more tiles and includes a set of racks to hold them. More tiles, the addition of racks, and a larger box makes the set more expensive. Many manufacturers also include added extra tiles to replace any lost ones.

Playing the Game
Mah jongg tile suits
Mah-jongg tiles consist of three suits of one through nine referred to by specific names: Craks (called characters, wan, or ten thousand), bams (called bamboos or sticks), and dots (called balls or circles). Special tiles are: winds (North, East, West, South), dragons (red, green, white), flowers and jokers. In American Mah-Jongg, season tiles are referred to as flowers.

The game is played with four players seated around a table. Tiles are shuffled, die are cast, and rituals involving the allocation of tiles and then the exchange of tiles begin. The first person to match a hand of 14 tiles and call mah jongg ends the game. How fast a game is played depends on the level of the players experience (newbies tend to need more time). With experienced players, a game finishes in less 10-15 minutes so many are played in the course of a few hours. 

Many variations exist, most have some basic rules in common such as how a piece is drawn and discarded, the use of suits (numbered tiles) and honors (winds and dragons), how to deal the tiles and the order of play. Beyond the basic common rules, regional variations may have different criteria, different scoring or extra rules. A group of players may introduce house rules that change the feel of play.

Of course, there is quite a bit a lot more to the game playing procedure. As a beginner (newbie) I'm still learning about the its intricacies, which will take more than the 4 lessons. The library hosts a mah jongg playing group, which everyone has been encouraged to join.

Who sets the rules in the American playing community?
The National Mah Jongg League headquartered in NYC standardizes the American version rules. In 1937, a group of female Jewish mah jongg enthusiasts met in New York City to ensure that they were all playing the same game with the same rules and winning hands. Soon, the group developed a card with winning hands and took it when traveling. Women they played with adopted the card, taking it back home. Within a couple of years, the card went viral with women countrywide using it and rules set forth by the newly established National Mah Jongg League which today is headed by David and Larry Unger, whose late mother, Ruth, was a founder.

Current 2023 rules card
Each year, the League changes the hands and rules. An official rules card issued annually contains hands for the current year. The 2024 card will be available in April; there is a $15 cost.
 
Creation of the rules card is a volunteer-led process that's continued for over 8 decades years. Starting in August, a group meets to discuss the new card. Collectively, group members have over 500 years of combined playing experience. They play variations and improve the winning hands and in November finalize the card that will be used in the coming year.

Last year over 350,000 members ordered a card to see what hands they would be playing in 2023. Proceeds from sales of the card benefit charities.The organization has supported various organizations including Alzheimer’s Association, American Cancer Society, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Deborah Hospital, Epilepsy Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, American Heart Association, Make A Wish Foundation, Salvation Army, Meals on Wheels, Muscular Dystrophy Association and others.
Formal dress not a play requirement

The game surged in popularity in the U.S. until the 1950s, followed by a decline. Today, mah jongg is currently enjoying a resurgence in popularity, with millions of dedicated players worldwide and various Internet and computer versions. 

Soon, I hope to be counted among them.
Your turn — do you play?

21 comments:

Bijoux said...

I loved learning about this, so thank you. I had no idea that there were two versions. How interesting that Babcock was the one to introduce it here. I hope to get a chance to play it some day. My DIL is from China, so I will have to ask her if she plays.

Anvilcloud said...

While we hope that doing puzzles is helpful, I am doubtful. But they're fun and sure don't hurt. Almost time for my morning puzzles.

MadSnapper said...

i can't even stand to play checkers or any game at all and one like this would drive me nuts. I do not even like game shows. or sports games. that said, this is good for those who like games and it will be fun, get you into a social situation, and possibly help the brain cells. so why not? its a great idea. also it will give you something to do when the power goes out and there is nothing to do but games

nick said...

We had a couple of friends way back who were seriously into Mah Jongg. They tried to teach us to play it but we never got the hang of it.

Red said...

Sounds interesting. I like rummy. I'll have to look and see if there are lessons here.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Not a game I have ever played, and I have no burning desire to suddenly start. I think I will pass on this one.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I found this interesting, as I have wondered about this game for a long time. So much I did not know! First, I thought it was a traditional Jewish game, but it is Chinese! And I did not know it is for four players, no more and no less. the Confucious thing is hilarious!! No, I have never played.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like a couple of board games. And some cards. But not Bridge. And though I have a friend who plays Mah jong all the time, I think I'll pass.

Sandra said...

Nope, don't play. I am not good at things like this, I got lost almost immediately! I'm glad for you that you are enjoying it.

photowannabe said...

I played a bit of online Mah Jong..just trying to match the tiles. Sometimes was fairly good but most of the time my "thinker" just didn't cooperate. Never good on the thinking ahead process. I'll stick to solitare and word games.
How fun for you to get into the game right from the start. I do believe you will excel at it.
Sue

Marie Smith said...

I am not a player but I am interested in the game.

Debby said...

I don't, but I think that it would be fun to try.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I have never played it and I can't even say that I've ever seen the game played or what it looks like. This is very interesting. I am not sure if I would like it or not, but I am trying to do more mental exercises to keep my brain working. Every little bit helps at this stage in life! Thank you for this excellent dissertation on this game. I've learned so much here already!

Linda G. said...

No, I have never played it.

Boud said...

I was lost quickly in the concepts! Couldn't fathom what a hand is and how it's voted on..so since I don't get much out of games, I'm happy to let other people enjoy them!

I strongly doubt playing mahjong improves brain ability. I think it's more likely that people who already have nimble brains will excel at this game.

But it's not harming anyone, so I wish you enjoyment.

diane b said...

We have a Mahjong afternoon in the village. I've been a few times. It is fun and good for the brain. Good for you keep at it.

Rita said...

I've only played the solitaire game online, which is just a matching game. I've always wondered how they play the tiles. But from your description, I doubt I will ever have an opportunity to learn it. Might be too complicated for me, anyhow--lol! Have fun!

David said...

Hi Beatrice, We've never been able to convince ourselves to try to play mah jongg and my better half doesn't like to play cards...a big pastime around here. We have played dominos and Mexican Train...and that's about it. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Lowcarb team member said...

This is not a game I have ever played, and I don't think I am likely to.

All the best Jan

Rob Lenihan said...


I've never played mahjong, but after reading you're highly informative post, I'm giving it an awful lot of thought.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I know that trying something new is the best thing to keep your brain active-- so congratulations to you for getting it right. One of my friends here in Florida plays Majong-- there's a group who meets two or three times a week at the clubhouse. I think it's interesting how the rules change and I understand that better from your explanation than I did from what she tried to tell me. I'm really bad at things that require strategy, so think I will stick with my NYT crossword, wordle and spelling bee and hope they keep my brain operating for a few more days anyway!