Pages

Thursday, October 5, 2023

Vehicular Vanity

Used to describe the urge some motorists have for personalized plates on their vehicles. For those unfamiliar with vanity plates, this applies to one which bears a unique collection of letters, numbers or both. Here's some examples.The car owner pays extra $ to have a choice of numbers, letters or an abbreviated form of a phrase, slogan, or abbreviation. Some motorists use personalized license plates to advertise a  business, charity interest and more within a state's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) guidelines.Vanity plates are issued by every U.S. state and the District of Columbia, and every Canadian province except Newfoundland and Labrador.

What state has the highest percentage of vanity plates?
According to the American Association of Vehicle Administrators, folks in Virginia own more vanity plates than any other state. One out of every six cars on Virginia highways has a personalized license plate. Virginia offers some of the cheapest vanity plates in the country, $10 annually compared to $50 in Maryland and $100 in Washington, D.C.

As former VA residents for 12 years, this was interesting as was finding out the percentage in our current state of NH is 13%. The cost is the town/city and state registration fees, plus $40 (annually for the Vanity Plate) plus an $8 plate fee (one-time). 

Here's some states with the most and least number of vanity plates:
Virginia - 19.1%
Illinois - 13.41%
Nevada - 12.7%
Montana - 9.8%
New Jersey - 6.8%
North Dakota - 6.5%
Wyoming - 2.94%
Texas - 0.5%

In neighboring Canada, Ontario has the highest vanity plate penetration rate (4.59%), followed by Saskatchewan (2.69%), Manitoba (1.96%), the Yukon (1.79%), and the Northwest Territories (1.75%). British Columbia had the lowest vanity plate penetration rate (0.59%) among those provinces that issue vanity plates. 

Here's a 2022 listing for New England states, including NH.
New England Vanity Plate numbers in 2022 (Internet source)
All U.S. states and Canadian provinces that issue them have a blue list of vanity plates which contains banned words, phrases, or letter/number combinations. The list is not definitive as the agent processing a vanity plate application can reject it, if deemed offensive, even if the phrase doesn't exactly match a banned word. State DMVs that receive complaints about offensive vanity plates can revoke a plate, even if it had been previously approved. 

Florida has banned plates such as PIMPALA. The state of New York bans plates with FDNY, NYPD and GOD. Many states reject certain wording if combinations are vulgar or offensive, including swear words, also plates with racial, sexual, ethnic and religious discriminations.

But, while a state licensing authority can deny or revoke what it considers offensive vanity plates, some motorists have successfully sued state governments on that issue under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. That happened several years ago, when a federal judge found California’s ban on offensive personalized license plates unconstitutional ruling that it constitutes viewpoint discrimination under the First Amendment.

The New Hampshire DMV doesn't allow references to these subjects in any language, read forward, backward, by mirror image or phonetic spelling — intimate body parts, sexual or excretory acts, profanity or obscenity, violence, illegal activities, drugs or illegal intoxicants, gangs, racial, ethnic, religious, gender or sexual orientation hatred or bigotry.

Maine, its neighboring New England State, had relaxed editorial standards in 2015 and allowed obscenities on customized plates, rejecting those of hate or violence, and welcoming most anything else. That changed in 2022, after the Maine Secretary of State enacted standards similar to NH and issued a public statement: The First Amendment protects your right to have any bumper sticker you want . . . but it doesn’t force the state to issue official registration plates that subject children to obscenity or profanity.
New England Vanity Plate numbers in 2022 (Internet source)
Full disclosure is that Grenville displays a vanity plate on his vehicle to reflect both his Navy service and ham radio license.

Your turn — Do you or have you ever had a vanity plate ?

29 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

No, but we lucked into a plate that is a bit of a mnemonic that helps us to remember.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Small though the fee may be for a vanity plate, I have other uses for my money, and a I have never, even for a moment contemplated having one. A fellow I know who is a member of the local symphony orchestra has a licence plate that says OPUS and I thought that was quite creative. It says something about the state of the world, however, when we can afford such trivial nonsense, and whole populations struggle to have enough food to live.

MadSnapper said...

I see lots of veterans plates, but have not paid attention to what their letters are. might be vanity might not. We don't see many here. our license plate renewal sticker is 95 per car each year, we can buy 2 years but no break on price. I just checked and it would be add 40 to the 95 to get one..

Bijoux said...

Nope, I don’t see the point of them. I’d say I don’t even understand 75% of them.

Boud said...

I think you'd better not be a speeder, because a vanity plate would be easier to remember, spot and stop than a jumble of letters and numbers. In NJ we also have plates with refs to various good causes, and I believe the extra fee goes to them. My neighbor has one about animal rescue.

Jeanie said...

These are always fun to look at. I've never wanted one for myself, though.

Marie Smith said...

We have never had, nor never would have a vanity plate. I like seeing them though.

Rita said...

Never even thought about it. Can't figure half of them out quick enough (or at all sometimes) to decipher them--lol!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What an interesting collection! I don't see many of these vanity plates in Arkansas, but I do see the ones that are for teachers, hunters, etc...not so much specific for a person's personality.
I've never owned one and feel quite lucky just to be able to remember the last three letters so I can pick out my car in the grocery store parking lot. :)

Emma Springfield said...

I've not had one. It always seemed that I could use the extra money for something else.

Sandi said...

Best one I ever heard of:

PB4UGO

On a family minivan.

😂

photowannabe said...

No we have never had a vanity plate, but I love to try to figure out what they say.
Love your Hubby's. I thank him for his service.
Sue

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Interesting post

In Vermont we have a trout, deer and loon plates for conservation along with the organizations' plates.
I've thought about getting the loon for years.
As for a vanity plate, I'm not keen on my vehicle being labeled like that.

Marcia said...

No vanity plates in our history.

My name is Erika. said...

I would like a vanity plate, but I'm too cheap to pay extra for one. Plus, once people know your plate, they can see if you're someplace or another. Not that that is a big deal if they saw you there or not. Smile. Rightnow I still have a state park plate so I can park down at the beach, and that is extra but it saves me a lot on parking fees. Enjoy the rest of your week. hugs-Erika

Veronica Lee said...

Nope. I would rather not draw unnecessary attention by having a unique and easily identifiable license plate.
Some vanity plates can be entertaining to spot on the road, though.

Hugs and blessings, Dorothy.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I like Sandi’s submission above. We can all relate to that!

DeniseinVA said...

Very interesting! I have never had one but I often check out license plates. Some are very clever and some just leave me scratching my head trying to figure them out. Happy weekend to you both.

Linda G. said...

Bob’s motorcycle plate read “GO MAD”.

Polly said...

I don't have one. I thought about it a few years ago but didn't take it any further. I've seen some good ones, but also ones that I don't understand!

David said...

Beatrice, First of all, thank Grenville for his service! Interesting bit of trivia for sure. I decided to check Tennessee's license plate options. There are 193 topical/not personalized license plates available in the state. They range from a Special Forces Plate to Agriculture and Autism Awareness to WWII Veteran and Zeta Phi Beta. In addition, there are 100 plate designs that are available that can be personalized...vanity plates. We've never had a personalized plate. Its a minor cost savings... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

nick said...

I've never had a vanity plate and I must say I don't see the attraction. A nice little income for the states concerned though.

Rain said...

I thought about getting RAIN as my vanity plates, but then I figured I would really stand out here in rural NB. Sometimes my foot goes a little heavy on the gas pedal lol

Lee said...

I never have...never had the desire to...and never will. :)

Rob Lenihan said...

Very informative post--as always.

Never went in for vanity plates myself. I just wanted to make sure all the paperwork was up to date so I didn't get pulled over by the cops.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Never had one never wanted one, but spotting and figuring them out is always a nice diversion on a road-trip.

diane b said...

We call them personalised plates here. We have personalised number plates which are the initials of the company we used to have.

Christina said...

Personalised number plates are expensive here in the UK. As far as I am aware, there are more restrictions on what can go on plates here, at least judging by what I observe on the road. I am struggling to see the benefit of paying cash for a personal number plate.

On a different note, I am returning to Glasgow on the 23rd October. Let me know when you are in Edinburgh, maybe we can try and meet? That would be lovely.

William Kendall said...

I don't own a car, so no.