Pages

Friday, October 13, 2023

Friday Funnies

Today is Friday the 13th. 😱
It's also a special birthday πŸŽ‚

Fear of this is a phobia called triskaidekaphobia (fear or avoidance of the number 13). The good news is that this is the second and last 2023 Friday the 13th, the first was in January

Interestingly, this fear only dates to the late 1800s. By about 1911, it was prevalent enough to merit a name said to have been coined by psychiatrist and neurologist Isador Henry Coriat, one of the first American psychoanalysts. It was created from the Greek word for thirteen — triskaideka and adding phobia (fear of).

No matter the date, driving on roadways can be harrowing, not only because of other motorists, but also due to large objects in front of your car. Check out these ↓ examples.
Wood oops would you feel comfortable driving behind this truckload?
It's amazing to see how many cars fit on one of these transports, so close to the edge.
At least, seeing this car gives advance warning. Admittedly, the Oversize Load signage seemed funny on such a small vehicle.

Some Friday the 13th trivia, just because

A month has a Friday the 13th if and only if it begins on a Sunday. The date happens at least once every year, but occur up to three times in one year. 

Some believe the superstition comes from the Last Supper where the 13th guest, Judas, betrayed Jesus. Another Biblical belief is that Cain killed his brother, Abel, on Friday the 13th.

Some numerologists believe number 13 is unlucky because it follows number 12. They consider 12 a complete number — 12 months in a year, 12 apostles, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 hours on a clock, 12 days of Christmas.

It estimated that over 80 percent of high rise buildings avoid a 13th floor. Hospitals skip the 13th floor; many hotels skip having room 13; some airports even skip gate 13.

Fear sells. The popular Friday the 13th movie franchise has 12 films to date. The first film premiered in 1980, the last in 2009. Box office receipts worldwide have topped over $380 million. (I'm not quite sure, why horror sells so well.)

Symptoms of the number 13 fear can range from anxiety to panic attacks. Some folks skip work on this date, others will not drive or fly.

Director Alfred Hitchcock was born on April 13; film producer Richard Zanuck was born on December 13 and died on July 13; actor Christopher Plummer was born on Dec 13; American chef and writer Julia Child died on August 13.

Today is also a special πŸŽ‚ birthday in naval history — the U.S. Navy celebrates 248 years. On October 13, 1775, the Continental Congress established the Continental Navy, a naval fleet of privateers. 

The very small force consisted of two armed vessels tasked with disrupting munition ships supplying the British Army in America. In 1972, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Elmo Zumwalt designated October 13 as the Navy's official birthday. (As readers of this blog may or may not know, Patrick aka Grenville is a proud USN veteran.)

Enjoy Your Weekend
Hope all your luck is good

24 comments:

Sandi said...

It's so sad a horror movie made $380 million. Why is that entertainment?? 😝

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I met Miriam on Friday 13th, married her on Friday 13th, and we bought our house on Friday 13th. Who says it’s unlucky?

Bijoux said...

I was just reading yesterday on this topic and how 12 was seen as a complete number. Personally, I appreciate a baker’s dozen!

My name is Erika. said...

I always keep my distance behind some of this big loads because you just never know, do you? I don't want to be the one on channel 9 news that had a load of lumber land on me.

Anvilcloud said...

I remember that a boyhood friend had a bit of an incident which he partly attributed to Friday 13 in a composition that he wrote for English class.

Marie Smith said...

I have never understood the fear people have of Friday the 13th, but then it is an irrational fear.

MadSnapper said...

I refuse to ride behind loads like this, my cousin Shari was going over a bridge and the truck in front of her was loaded with lumber including sheets of plywood. she was terrified so backed off as far as she could and rode the brakes, a sheet of plywood flew off and came right through her windshield, stopping just short of her face and her daughters face.
Happy Birthday to the USN...

Jeanie said...

May you have a very safe day!

Barbara Rogers said...

My parents made their local newspaper (photo included) when they got their marriage license on Fri. the 13th. They apparently didn't know about any luck or lack thereof! I agree about big loads...and always give my distance. Happy birthday US Navy! They are great!

Boud said...

A few years ago I was driving behind a pickup truck moving furniture, clearly an unskilled group. Sofa cushions were flying off all over the road. When other drivers tried to signal the problem to the driver he waved back happily, unaware of the message. I suppose they'd find out at the destination.

Sandra said...

I am not superstitious. But I am practical and would not want to be behind that load of wood!

Linda P said...

I'm not superstitious so travelling on Friday 13th wouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't like to be behind that lorry load of wood. It looks unsafe. By the way I think you'll be on your travels again soon so all the best. Have a good trip! (I like the collage).

photowannabe said...

Delightful post, as always, so informative.
I guess I am not superstitious and those numbers don't scare me.
I do know people who are though
Like you I never could understand why Horror sells.
Happy Naval birthday.
Sue

Emma Springfield said...

Happy triskaidekaphobia to all.

Rita said...

I don't like being behind big vehicles in the first place because of them kicking up stones--lol! Loads like that--far back.

I am not superstitious and do not enjoy horror movies. It's not that they scare me--they are just not interesting and rather dumb to me. Sometimes I find them funny--when I am not supposed to--lol! Like when I went to a movie theater to see The Exorcist when it came out with some friends. I was trying not to laugh out loud at the spitting pea soup, head-spinning ridiculousness so as not to ruin it for the others who enjoy these type of movies.

Red said...

You found lots of interesting info around the thirteenth and thirteen.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I never think much about the number 13, except in jest. It makes no sense that they don't number a floor in a hotel or building the 13th floor, but still, it is the 13th floor no matter what they call it!! LOL. You found some interesting information on the number 13. Oh, regarding driving behind those vehicles with things stacked on them, etc. I had a bad experience once with something actually flying off of such a vehicle right at me, but I do believe God gave me an early warning as I had a feeling it was going to fly off and I was able to move over into the other lane just in time before it did exactly that. I could have been decapitated had I not moved over when I did. Thankfully the car behind me was able to stop in time before the object hit their car. Very scary. So I do not like to follow such kinds of vehicles if I can help it and I always think of that time and thank the Lord for His inner warning that He gave me just in time. I don't believe in luck or coincidence...but I do believe in God's power and protection. Have a happy weekend.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Well, I seem to have safely negotiated another Friday 13th, as it's now Saturday. I've often been behind loads like that on the roads - the most dangerous thing though is when huge lumps of thawing snow slide back off the top of lorries and dumps itself on the following car.

nick said...

I've never been superstitious, either of the number 13 or Friday 13th. This Friday 13th just past wasn't unlucky for me in any way. I didn't know that so many high rise buildings avoid a floor 13. The superstition must be stronger than I realised.

Linda G. said...

You forgot one. The Friday the 13th Motorcycle Rally is a motorcycle rally held every Friday the 13th in Port Dover, Ontario, Canada since 1981. Bob attended one rally, years ago. The summer rallies are well attended.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Interesting post

I take the number 13 to be lucky. It is easy to turn around a negative like that. Same for black cats, they are lucky as well.
Not keeping a lottery ticket the clerk doesn't print out correctly, now that is bad luck, except when the ticket goes to multiple draws from a mistake mark on the ticket.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Back when we were younger and working (and still going out at night occasionally ;>), we had a friend who would host a triskaidekaphobia party whenever there was a Friday the 13th. (I had to paste and copy that word from your text, because though I knew what it meant I sure couldn't spell it!) Anyway, the date was a good excuse for this guy to throw a party and we always enjoyed them. He isn't with us anymore, but I still think of him on those days!

baili said...

i so enjoyed the post because of things you mentioned about 13th wow that is lots of superstition indeed .

i think people like horror because of how it shake their senses up and down ,it is kind of big adventure without costing much lol

i liked your images dear Dorothy!
happy birthday to Navy !

William Kendall said...

It's just a number.