Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Donut Miss Frosty's

Most people think of lobster or other seafood when considering food choices in Maine, but there's other indulgences as well. In Brunswick, ME, that means donuts.
Selection of donuts at Frosty's Donut Shop in Brunswick, ME
Since we missed celebrating National Donut Day on the first Friday in June last month, we made up for that oversight last weekend.
Frosty's, 54 Maine St, Brunswick, ME
Frosty's founders, June & Bob Frost
Frosty’s Donut Shop is located in the heart of downtown Brunswick, ME, ironically on Maine Street. It was established in 1965 by Bob and June Frost. Within a few years, their selection of traditional donuts, from glazed to frosted became well known in the area leading to a faithful following. Customers either made a stop here as part of their daily routine or found a reason to travel to Brunswick. (Luckily, we were already there for another event.)

The donut shop became an “iconic institution” in the community and recognition in regional and national recognition in publications such as Downeast, Travel & Leisure, and Saveur

The current name and location were not the original shop. The Frosts had originally bought into a Spudnut Donut Shop franchise for an initial investment of $5,000. They opened it near Bowdoin College in Brunswick. 

Vintage Spudnut Donut Ads
Spudnut shops, which predated Dunkin'® Donuts, were selling about 400,000 spudnut donuts made with potato flour annually. The American franchise grew to more than 300 shops at one time. While the parent company no longer exists, about 35 independent shops remain open in nine states. The name was originally coined by company founders Al and Bob Pelton of Salt Lake City, UT, who created a dry potato mix which made it feasible to franchise their creation.

The original recipe is based on a German folk recipe. Spudnuts were advertised with the slogan Coast to coast—Alaska to Mexico. Over the history of Spudnuts, there were over 600 stores throughout the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. A bow-tied donut character, Mr. Spudnut, appeared in ads, restaurants, and parades. In the late 1960s, there were 315 franchise holders, with combined annual sales of $25 million. Spudnut shops were the largest doughnut franchise in the U.S.

Two years after the Frosts relocated to the Maine Street location, business became slow and the shop name was changed to Frosty’s. (I'm not sure if the donuts continued to be made with potato flour.)

Bob and June Frost maintained the popular Frosty’s Donut Shop for 46 years until Bob closed its doors in June 2011, shortly after June's death. 

Nels Omdal and Shelby St. Andre
In 2012, Nels Omdal and his wife Shelby St. Andre, a local couple, who had also been loyal customers purchased Frosty’s. Omdal had a background in food production and restaurant management and his wife had experience in business and finance. They felt they had the skills and drive needed to grow the business throughout the state.

They didn’t know anything about making doughnuts.

The couple stayed faithful to the recipes and business model developed by the Frosts and Bob worked with them in the kitchen. The basic donut recipe remained the same. (Bob Frost died in June 2019 at age 85. )

Running the donut shop meant long hours. After taking over Frosty's, its new owners served donuts 7 days a week.  They expanded the business to four more retail locations throughout Maine—Augusta, Bath, Gardiner and Freeport—and delivered breakfast items to over 40 locations statewide. When the Covid pandemic hit, all shops were voluntarily closed. The Gardiner and Freeport closures closed permanently to maintain the long-term health of the company according to its owners.

Grenville & blueberry fritter
If you're in Brunswick, ME, on a weekend and looking for a sweet treat, stop into Frosty’s at 54 Maine St. The donut shop is open Friday to Sunday, 7 am to 2 pm, takeout only, no delivery. The menu includes raised donuts, cake donuts, rings, glazed twists, and bagels as well as hot and cold drinks.

In 2023, Frosty’s owners opened a production facility in Brunswick and now deliver breakfast items to over 40 locations throughout the state.

Although ALL of the donuts looked delicious, we can personally recommend the fritters. Grenville enjoyed a blueberry-filled one and mine was the traditional apple-filled variety.

Not only were both were both delicious ðŸ˜‹ but, of course, calories don't count when traveling 😉. . . isn't that right?

30 comments:

MadSnapper said...

nothing there I could eat but I sure would if i could.. adorable building. I had no idea there is such a thing as potato flour. never met a donut I did not like for sure.

MadSnapper said...

I just priced potato flour and the price is staggering but not as bad as it looks because it is just added to other flour, not by the cups, but small amounts. says its good for gluten free, will be checking on it for IBS breads

Bijoux said...

I didn't know that spudnuts originated in Germany. I LOVE donuts, but try to only have one occasionally. My favorite will always be the creamstick, but my husband loves apple fritters.

Marcia said...

They all look very good. But how do they stay in business only open on weekends?

Sandy said...

Love all the history. Very nice to know the background. Wish I was there, cause they sure look good. And right you are, there are no calories when traveling!!! Zero, nada, zilch.
Sandy's Space

Liz Hinds said...

Calories don't count if you blog about them either. So really you're in credit.
I am always impressed by people who take on these huge projects and grow them and become successful. But it must be such hard work.

baili said...

precious friend Dorothy first of all big heartfelt thanks for taking your valuable time and making an extra effort to publish comment on my previous than last post !
your kindness makes my heart beat gratefully and eyes teary (with gratitude of course for having friends like you!)

this is indeed a fascinating story of achievement by a couple who started business together and continued until they were alive together wow seems like a fairytale love story to me !
thank you for sharing it with us ,i can see how much Patrick is enjoying the doughnut or fritter probably :)
it is good that business is not closed completely but continued by another couple yes show must go on no matter what .
sorry for missing much here but i will make it up :)
hugs

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow! That looks so good! I never heard of "Spudnuts". Must have mostly been in the north or west. We had Mister Donut in the south prior to Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts, etc. I prefer a good home-made apple cider/cinnamon donut, usually found in the fall up north. Especially good with a cup of hot apple cider while shopping for fresh apples at an orchard, again, something we don't have here in Florida. I've been to Brunswick, Maine, but I guess I missed the Mr. Frosty's Donuts. Thank you for this interesting history, and for the pictures. Now I want a fresh donut. LOL. Have a wonderful week.

nick said...

I'm not a doughnut fan myself but plenty of people are. I prefer something lighter like carrot cake. I never heard of spudnuts and I wonder what doughnuts made of mashed potato might taste like.

photowannabe said...

Absolutely right!! When traveling the calories don't count.
Our favorites from our local donut shop are apple fritters too. Yumm.
Going there tomorrow for our "Wednesdate"
Sue

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

What a fun place to visit!
There's something about gravity and travel impact on calories that makes them incompatible to weight gain, maybe

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

That building certainly has character. I don't know when I last had a doughnut -probably when my mother was alive as I often bought them for her as a treat. She was one of those lucky ones who was always told by the doctor that she needed to put on some weight!

Emma Springfield said...

The donuts sound delicious. That is one of my favorite 'sinful' foods. But please don't deprive me of lobster.

Rita said...

Never heard of them, either. Maybe they skipped Minnesota on their coast to coast--lol! Loved reading their story though. :)

acorn hollow said...

We hope to get into that area this summer. I love donuts but sadly no good shops here but maybe that is a good thing.
Cathy

Jeanie said...

Even though donuts are a thing of my past I have to say I'd be inclined to stop at a spot with such a long history!

L. D. said...

Our son and daughter-in-law live near Bangor so if we ever get there again in our life time we will have to take a drive south. Thanks for sharing.

Anvilcloud said...

Aside from our ubiquitous coffee shop chain, we have tow donut shops in town. Both are over-priced and not worth it IMO. I am sure that I would visit and like Frosty’s, however.

diane b said...

What an interesting shop and history. I'm not fussed on donuts, too sweet, but they look lovely.

Linda G. said...

Apple fritters were my no. 1 flavor, when choosing a donut. More recently Boston Cream has been my favorite. Even more recent I tend to stay away from donuts because there is a good chance that my stomach will not like them.

Joyce F said...

Now I am hungry for an apple fritter!

gigi-hawaii said...

Who cares about calories when you're having fun? I love fritters, too.

Michelle said...

Calories don't count when traveling! lol It is time to treat yourself :)

My name is Erika. said...

I drove through Brunswick today, and too bad FRosty's wasn't open. I had never heard of Spudnuts either. I wonder how potato flour donuts taste. And I am glad to hear you enjoy your Frosty's donut.What else were you up to on this adventure? I hope you share. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

Oh come on, calories just don't count - ever! I'm not a particular donut friend, but I have to say the variety is impressive. This must be haven for donut lovers! I have never heard of donuts with potato flour and can't quite image what they taste like.

Veronica Lee said...

They all look amazing!
I enjoyed reading about the interesting history.

Hugs and blessings, Dorothy

DUTA said...

The facade of Frosty's shop is charming! No doubt, it attracts customers in.
It's always interesting to read and learn about the background to the success of a store and its product.

David said...

Hi Beatrice, We have a favorite local donut shop near us too...but not with the history that Frosty's has. Laurie loves a nice 'fluffy' frosted donut and I love a good apple fritter. For our next trip, I have earmarked a bakery that has been around since 1936...and they feature apple fritters! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

William Kendall said...

I must admit, I'm totally indifferent to doughnuts.

joeks said...

I read all your posts, but am obviously behind! Had to comment about the Spudnuts. I remember my mother once commenting that she would have enjoyed opening one of their franchises. We were probably living in too small of a town for it to be a serious consideration though. Thanks for jogging my memory!