Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2023

One Pan Short Ribs

As mentioned earlier, my ♥️ Day gift to Grenville was a cookbook, Simple One-Pan Wonders (Jamie Oliver). As much as we like dining out, we also enjoy home-cooked meals, plus this gift is longer lasting than candy or flowers. We have watched Oliver's show online and since Grenville had mentioned he wanted the accompanying book, it was a win-win surprise.

When I mentioned the book in that previous post, several folks commented that they would be interested in reading about any recipes tried from the book. Last weekend, we enjoyed the first of many future meals. 

The recipe is exactly as shown in the book. However, there were some changes in our home: Walnuts were omitted (we did not have any). Sweet potatoes replaced the white potatoes. Onion marmalade is not a pantry staple; Grenville found an online recipe. And, the recipe was halved.

That said, here's the first recipe chef Grenville prepared from Simple One-Pan Wonders.

Beef Short Ribs
Beef Short Ribs 
(Simple-One Pan Wonders)
Serves 6 / Prep 26 min / Cook 4 hours
  • 6 beef short ribs bone in (approx 3-1/2 lb)
  • 2 heads celery
  • 6 carrots (1-1/4 lb total)
  • 1-3/4 oz shelled walnuts
  • 6 oz onion marmalade or jam
  • 2 C smooth ale
  • 6 baking potatoes (3 lb)
  • creamed horseradish (to serve)
Preheat oven to 325℉.
 
Put a large shallow casserole pan on medium-high heat, and brown ribs all over, turning with tongs, for about 15 minutes. Trim the celery using a vegetable peeler to remove stringy outsides. Chop off the bottom 5 inches of each and cut lengthways into quarters, finely slice the remaining stalks, reserving any nice leaves. Peel the carrots and leave whole.

Once ribs are browned, remove to a bowl. Put all the celery and carrots into the pan with the walnuts and onion marmalade, toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Pour in 2-1/2 cups of water and the ale, then nestle the ribs back into the pan, making sure they’re submerged. Cover with a sheet of damp parchment paper. Roast 4 hours, or until the meat easily pulls away from the bone, basting halfway.

Scrub the potatoes, prick all over with a fork and bake alongside the ribs for the last 1 hour and 30 minutes. Skim any fat off ribs, remove bones, and serve with dollops of horseradish, sprinkled with any reserved celery leaves and potatoes on the side.

Fat 32.2g / Sat Fat: 12.2g / Protein 32.3g / Carbs 66.4g / sugars 28.6g / Salt 0.9g / Fiber 7.6g

Our recipe rating was a definite two forks up and will be on a future dinner menu. 😋
Grenville, a well pleased chef

26 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Culinary adventures are always a joy. We both enjoy cooking and try new dishes quite frequently.

Anvilcloud said...

I clicked on one recipe on FB. Now I see many, but I have yet to try one. I will begin to watch a video, but I am not sure if I have ever come to the end, for something will turn me off.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Perfect! A recipe roasted all in one pan is great. Chef looks very happy.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sounds and looks delicious!

Bijoux said...

Nice! I love walnuts, but I have to say it’s a weird addition to the dish.

CrystalChick said...

I've seen a bunch of episodes of Jamie Oliver shows over the years and he is certainly an excellent chef. I can see why Grenville would be interested in a cookbook. Nice gift!
Most food experts would say that varying a menu a bit is totally acceptable and give you a forks up for using what you had in your kitchen. I usually make a change or two myself.
Looks really good, Chef Grenville! Glad you both enjoyed it.
~Mary

Sandra said...

This looks GOOD! One pan cooking has become a staple for me. Age will do that, but it turns out the food is excellent.

baili said...

Ribs are hubby's favorites but not beef anymore but mutton only :)

Thanks for sharing the delicious recipe dear Dorothy.

Sounds worth trying for sure.

Cook book is a great gift for people like you and we who like to eat at home more often. Hugs and blessings

photowannabe said...

Oh boy, this sounds so good.
I really like the idea of the one pan meals and the savory seasonings make this something I will try, the next time I get some short ribs.
Thanks for sharing your 2 forks up recipe.
Sue

Emma Springfield said...

Looks delicious.

Michelle said...

Those do look good.

DUTA said...

I'm definitely in favor of one-pan dishes.
The picture with chef Patrick pleased with his performance, 'steals the show'.

DeniseinVA said...

A great gift that keeps on giving. Looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Looks very yummy!

Vee said...

What a great job he did! I'm impressed with his culinary skills.

Rita said...

Congrats to Grenville! Looks delicious and like the alterations made worked excellently. :)

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That certainly sounds yummy. I never heard of onion marmalade. Will have to look that one up. I've never cooked short ribs, or at least not in many many years. I may have to look them over again. This sounds good. Thank you for sharing.

William Kendall said...

Sounds good!

Linda P said...

You chose a good gift. Grenville looks happy with the results of his cooking. I'm sure the one pot recipe was delicious. We have followed Jamie Oliver's chef career for many years. His national campaigns to get families to eat healthy food using affordable items has impressed me the most.

Jeanie said...

That does look delicious, Dorothy! and it's pretty, too. Jamie Oliver comes up with some wonderful recipes.

My name is Erika. said...

These look delicious. I like the idea of adding sweet potatoes rather than white also. I think it makes it even tastier. I'm glad you shared this one, and I hope we get to see more in the future. Stay warm tonight and tomorrow. hugs-Erika

diane b said...

Looks and sounds delicious.

Veronica Lee said...

Looks delish!

Yummm!🤤

Hugs and blessings, Dorothy.

gigi-hawaii said...

I have heard his name mentioned by several bloggers. His videos and cook books sound interesting. The meal Grenville prepared looks great.

Rob Lenihan said...


Looks good. I'll have to check out this book!

Polly said...

Grenville looks ready for action! It looks and sounds delicious :-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Yum! Count me among the ones who have never cooked short ribs, but they look wonderful in this recipe and on "grenville's" plate. We too enjoy both eating out and cooking in! I put the show on our queue for a starter.