Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Perils of Periodontitis

Yes, the title is quite a mouthful (no pun intended). That's because periodontitis is neither a pleasant term to hear or to read about. It's even more unpleasant to experience this serious gum infection. 

I speak from first hand experience, which is the reason for this post.

Thanks for the well wishes in your comments after I posted last week about my then upcoming dental procedure. It's over with a couple of follow up visits starting this week. (No surgery details or photos are in this post.) All illustrations are from online sources.

If left untreated, periodontitis is a serious gum infection that can lead to tooth loss and serious health issues. It damages soft tissue and can destroy bone that supports the teeth which then leads to tooth loss.
Gingivitis is a gum disease that's a milder stage of periodontitis. Gingivitis often results in reddened or swollen gums and bleeding when brushing or eating. 

Both infections are the body’s response to bacteria that accumulates on teeth. In the long term, this bacteria forms plaque, which hardens to tartar (or calculus). When tartar build-ups below the gum line, teeth are harder to clean, leading to spaces around the teeth under the gum line. 

It's these spaces, known as pocketing, that have always been a problem for myself. In my case, an underlying cause may be heredity as not only did my late mother have dental issues, but so does my brother.

If your dental visits are like mine, they include periodontal charting, a process that measures the distance between the gums and where they attach to the teeth. The higher the number, the higher the chance of infection and if pockets fill with bacteria, this can lead to periodontitis

That's what happened with myself. Unfortunately, periodontal disease is mostly seen in adults.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), almost half of U.S. adults have some degree of gum disease and it increases with age. By age 65, 1 in 4 adults have serious gum disease. Estimates from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services are that 1 in 7 adults between 35 and 44 years old have some form of gum disease from gingivitis to severe periodontitis. 

Gum disease is has been linked to other conditions including heart disease and stroke in older adults. 
Researchers have also linked periodontal disease with an increased buildup of beta-amyloid in the brain, which is the neurological hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease. 

Factors that increase the risk for periodontal disease include smoking, diabetes, poor oral hygiene, stress, heredity, crooked teeth, and underlying immuno-deficiencies.

Bacteria in the gums can enter the blood supply and move to other parts of the body like the heart and possibly cause inflammation and damage in the cardiovascular system. That said, not everyone with heart disease has had gum disease, and not everyone with gum disease has a diagnosis of heart disease.

The severity of periodontitis disease determines its treatment with the goal being to bring the infection under control and prevent further damage. Options include:

Medications (antibiotics or antimicrobialto reduce the size of gum pockets in the form of mouthrinse, gel, pills, or particles that a dentist places directly in the infected area.

Scaling and root planning for less severe cases. This deep-cleaning method removes bacteria from around the gum line and tooth root.

Surgery when inflammation persists in sites inaccessible to brushing and flossing. Flap surgery cleans deposits under the gums. Gum or bone graft surgery grafts tissue or bone from another part of the mouth onto the damaged part of the gum.

My procedure was flap surgery done under local anesthesia to numb the gums which are then lifted up and roots of the teeth cleaned. Then, the gums were stitched back into place. I am so grateful not to have seen or felt anything during the procedure, novocaine is a great thing.

My periodontist took time to detail the procedure and the follow-up care needed afterwards. Start to finish, the process took about 1-1/2 hours and I went home afterwards. I received a pain medication prescription, but over the counter pain relievers worked as did an ice pack. Grenville also was most attentive. We did have ice cream, which was one of the soft foods recommended after surgery. Not that we needed any excuse for a treat!

Sutures come out this week. Complete healing will take 2-3 full weeks with procedures to be followed, last checkup in several weeks. Hopefully, there will not be a repeat procedure needed anytime. 

This was a very longish post on a rather different topic compared to what's going on worldwide. For myself, blog posts tend to be more personal with topics selected from personal experience and some may also have a widened scope. In doing online research for this post, it was eye-opening to read the statistics of those also affected and possible health issues if left untreated.

Your turn — Anyone else faced a similar situation in the past (or now)? 
If so, hopefully your outcome was (or will be) a good one as well.

26 comments:

Red said...

This whole issue was not fun at all. I hope you make a rapid recovery

Kathy said...

My teeth have always been bad -- even as a child. I would not want to go through what you did. Dentists are scary to me. Glad to hear you are healing. Hopefully this is the end of your dental problems.

Margaret D said...

Not nice at all. Hope you are feeling improved.

Anvilcloud said...

Oh, not fun at all, not even a little bit. I’m sorry that you are going through this.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Easy to see why many people died from their teeth in times past. I hope everything went well and that you are on the mend, Beatrice.

MadSnapper said...

this doesn't sound like anything I want to go through, hope you heal quickly and don't need another procedure

Barbara Rogers said...

Strangely enough, my daughter-in-law is going through some kind of treatment for a similar gum condition...and is eating soft foods still. She has religiously cared for her teeth, which are perfect to see in her smile, which may also be hereditary. I'm very sorry she has this condition and that you have it as well. I'm dealing with a dental issue also, and the front office problems of a dental clinic. My appointment got canceled, and I have to wait a month now. By then your healing will all be accomplished I hope.

Bijoux said...

Honestly, everything is hereditary unless you are doing something awful, like smoking. And even then, there are some lifetime smokers who live to see 100, because Good Genes! I’m sorry you had to go through all of that. I got my Dad’s good teeth and have never even had a cavity, so I’m quite lucky. Hope you are healed completely soon.

Jeanie said...

Gum disease is absolutely no fun and according to others I've known, hurts like crazy. I'm glad yours is being taken care of -- just sorry you have to do it in the first place.

gigi-hawaii said...

I have had 3 dental implants done, all on the right side of my jaw, top and bottom. Not pleasant, but absolutely worth it. I am glad your flap surgery went well.

David said...

Beatrice, It's great that dentists have all the tools and procedures to help us with our dental challenges. I've had dental surgery a couple of times...lost a molar to infection and lately its been all about my endodontist and his efforts to save a couple of teeth. Two of my teeth are registering a bit high (badly) re: my latest periodontal charting. Working to avoid a problem... Glad to hear that Grenville is taking good care of you, smart man. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Debby said...

Last year, I was diagnosed with periodontal disease. I had the deep cleaning/planing done and that seemed to work. I took antibiotics as I have a knee replacement. A year later my gums are doing great. It cost me nearly $2000. Out of pocket and no insurance. My own fault for not going to the dentist for 10 years.

LL Cool Joe said...

Ouch! I have had one lot of gum flap surgery when they had to remove a baby tooth root that never came out as a child, and then I had stitches. I have to say of all the dental work I've had done, and it's a lot, that one was less painful. I've had just about everything and am due to have an implant soon. I'm dreading it!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I hope you feel better soon, Beatrice.

DeniseinVA said...

I do wish you a speedy recovery Dorothy, tooth problems can be excruciatingly painful and gum disease can be dangerous to one's health if not treated, as this very interesting report covers. Take good care of yourself and thank you for this enlightening post.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I hope you will recover quickly with no complications and that you won't have to do this again. I fear I am a candidate for this, but have been putting it off. You are encouraging me to pay better attention to what is going on in my teeth and gums. But I still don't want to go...
Take care and enjoy your ice cream!! I know you are happy to have this behind you.

William Kendall said...

I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

acorn hollow said...

OUCH! is all I can say Not my favorite professional to see but so important.
I hope you are on the mend
Cathy

nick said...

That all sounds rather nasty. I hope it's been effectively treated and you're now problem-free. I went to the dentist recently and I'm glad to say I have no gum disease as yet. I have to look after my teeth carefully as I only have 26. Six were extracted when I was a child as my jaws were too small to accommodate all my teeth comfortably.

Christina said...

My gums are hurting just from reading this! I am sorry you are suffering from peridontitis, not pleasant at all. I hope by now the pain is manageable x

Rita said...

I was told by my dentist's office not to come back until I was finished with cancer treatments. Must be hard on the gums and teeth, too. ?? Not looking forward to going back. Take care. Glad you are recovering well. :)

Bill said...

Wishing you a good recovery.

Vee said...

That does not sound like any fun at all. Heal well. I know that you are following doctor's orders.

My name is Erika. said...

I've had several periodontal surgeries from chronic (it seems) receding gums, not from plaque causing gum disease. They've put gum tissue from one place in mouth over the receded gum to build it up. And my dentist is always telling me I have great teeth and gums otherwise, with no gum disease from bacteria. Hmmm. I didn't read that in your post, so maybe my dentist has been lying to me. Anyhow, enough about me. I hope you are recovering nicely Dorothy. Take care. hugs-Erika

baili said...

i read this carefully as it seemed sensitive health issue ,teeth are hidden and such things are ignored mostly dear Dorothy
despite of having brush habit i had cleaned my molar some years back , i was having slight pains which seemed to rise while having tea or so .my cleaning process also took one to two hours and i did not feel anything except i was tired of keep mouth open .

i am glad your matter was not as serious and all is fine now !
please keep taking good care in all means!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We're OK so far, but I remember my parents going through this whole situation. I'm glad you are doing well with your treatment and I'm glad you know to take care of it. And are spreading the word!