Pages

Friday, March 25, 2022

Friday Funnies

Topsy-Turvey, as with similar phrases like upside-down, refers to the top and bottom being interchanged from their usual places. Topsy is an allusion to top, but turvy isn't as easy to interpret. There's no certain definition, but it possible that the term derives from an old expression top-over-terve meaning to topple-over. 
This topsy-turvey image isn't from a disaster destroyed building. While it looks like a mansion that's upside-down in the middle of the block on International Drive, the main tourist drag in Orlando, FL.

How did this happen— Get ready for some make-believe
Professor Wonder was working in a top-secret laboratory in the mysterious Bermuda triangle trying to harness a tornado's power when the wind grew stronger than expected. The tornado's power ripped the building from its foundation carrying the lab miles away where it landed upside down and all exhibits remained intact. The former laboratory is now called WonderWorks, a combination science-focused indoor amusement park and children's museum. There are four floors of exhibits in a 35,000 square feet experience labelled edu-tainment, a combination of education and entertainment with over 100 interactive exhibits.

OK, so that's just a fanciful story spun by marketeers, here's the real behind-the-scenes story.

WonderWorks was created in 1998 by Florida attorney John Morgan, founder of mega-law firm Morgan & Morgan, known as America's Largest Personal Injury Law Firm headquartered (where else?) in Orlando. Morgan who worked in attractions during college claims that this experience provided insight to develop a successful and original theme park. 

It seems he was right as the flagship Orlando location has been going strong for 22 years. Now, WonderWorks is become a national chain with upside-down mansions in Panama City Beach, FL, Myrtle Beach, SC, Syracuse, NY, Pigeon Forge, TN and Branson, MO. 
If you ever plan to visit, know that the experience can be is costly, currently at $34.99 adults, $25.99 kids (under 3) and seniors. There's lots of time to explore, 9 am to midnight, 365 days. 

And, don't be concerned about walking through the upside down building. Everything is upside down at entry, after admission is paid, a walk through the Inversion Tunnel turns everything right side up again.

No, we didn't enter WonderWorks attraction on our February road trip, while many did, others simply took exterior photos like myself. It was a lot less costly too.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
Rainy Saturday forecast and sunshine Sunday

28 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I wonder what's inside. It might be worth a ticket price just to see, but I would probably read reviews on it because it might be a total rip off. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Marcia said...

Never heard of this one before. And having no plans to travel to Florida will likely never see it. thanks for sharing.

Bijoux said...

That is expensive and I’d pass on it as well. I’m sure kids enjoy it.

Jeanie said...

That's a pricey ticket! I love the name "Inversion Tunnel!" Very clever.

MadSnapper said...

I can't believe this is my first time ever seeing this or reading or hearing of it. I live 90 miles from Orlando and did not know it was there, we don't go to orlando so would not see it, but what is surprising is no one has mentioned it. not even the everlasting morgan and morgan ads that flood our tv screen on every channel. it is pretty cool looking

Anvilcloud said...

Well, go figure.

Sandi said...

Funny...

Barbara Rogers said...

When driving around Myrtle Beach several years ago, I spied the building! It certainly catches one's eye! Thanks for describing it...I only knew that it was one more attraction for tourists. Orlando means Disney World to my family, so they may never have noticed this attraction!

Vee said...

Oh my! That's one I'd avoid at all costs. I have enough trouble with vertigo and a world where right is wrong and wrong is right. Thanks for the warning! 😆

Edna B said...

It certainly does look different. I wouldn't have gone inside either. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

gigi-hawaii said...

What an interesting place to tour. It didn't exist when I was in Orlando in 1975 unfortunately. Too bad!

Latane Barton said...

Well, that really caught my eye. And, now I wonder what possesses people to do things like that... but, he got attention.

William Kendall said...

Very odd!

Bill said...

Strange place. I would pass on the admission price too, it's way too expensive. Thanks for the fun post and have a great weekend.

acorn hollow said...

So funny how so many of us have never heard of it. While it is pricy no where near the price of Disney and Universal Studios
Thanks for posting
Cathy

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I've never been there (even tho I live in Flordia, but we don't do attractions) But I know a lot of school kids go there on field trips because it is so interesting. I prefer to see the more natural Florida attractions than the man made variety. So many people don't realize how much natural beauty there is in Florida.

Rita said...

Never heard of this place. The inside wouldn't be that interesting because it's all right side up by the sounds of it. The outside is funny, though. :)

Margaret D said...

That is something different.
I expect there is a lot to see for that price.

Linda G. said...

We saw an upside down house in Niagara Falls Canada many years ago. Like you, we photographed the house from the outside, saving an admission cost. If interested, do a Google search for “upside down house niagara falls canada”.

Kathy said...

How unusual and fun! But I wouldn't be able to pay that much to just go in. They really need to lower their entry fee. Especially with so many people out of work these days. I'd love to know what is inside, though, so I think I will google it and see what I can find out.

Have a good weekend!

Jon said...

These topsy-turvey buildings are so delightfully unique. I've seen the one in Branson, MO but didn't know that others existed.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

That is a very interesting sounding place! If they were not so costly, I am sure they would have a lot of visitors.

nick said...

That's a remarkable-looking building. You certainly do a double take - what the heck's going on here?? What makes the original story fanciful is the statement that all exhibits remained intact, after the building was carried for miles by the tornado. Not very likely!

baili said...

you rightly chose it for Friday funnies i think :)

wow one of the most weird story that you shared and than mentioned it was just a story ,my eyes were wide opened as wind can be as strong to blow away such heavy building ,how fool i am lol

as you mentioned i felt i saw inside and felt so dizzy as upside down stuff is totally uncomfortable to look at for me specially when it is whole building and everything in it oh my

thank you for sharing such amusing post
health ,peace and happiness to you and family!

Rob K said...


Okay, that's just freaky!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Jeepers I know all about Mr Morgan and his "gigantic" law firm -- and his politics and his stand on marijuana (which I don't necessarily disagree with). Morgan and Morgan has huge billboards everywhere around here and I'm sure he still advertises on TV although we haven't watched network television for a good five years now so I couldn't testify to that. But I had no idea about how he started this upside-down attraction, indeed I knew nothing about the attraction itself! So thanks. We live in Florida half the year (most year lately) and yet I must depend on tourists to learn the ins and outs. Thanks for sharing. Both Funny and interesting to learn ;>

Veronica Lee said...

How extraordinary!

I am curious to know what is inside.

Happy Tuesday, Dorothy!

Polly said...

WOW, that is expensive, I would expect something exceptional for that price. I like the make believe explanation!