Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

What's (Been) Home Cooking

It's been months since my last at home cooking post, back in early May. While, we've taken several road trips in recent months, we've done much home cooking in between. Looking through my photo files, it seems I always forget to take a before shot and then remember after there's little or no dinner left to show.

Despite the variety of restaurants in downtown Nashua within walking distance of our apt, we only dine out once every couple of weeks. It's because we eat out when on our road trips and being home and cooking a meal is enjoyable. As for take-out, I honestly can't recall the last time and, most likely, it was for a pizza delivery. 
Broccoli salad with dried cranberries and almonds
We like salads, but more so variety and this broccoli salad has been a big favorite. We've enjoyed it as a side dish many times with chicken and fish.
Chicken tenders
It was great when paired with these home-made chicken tenders that were baked with a mustard, mayonnaise, and toasted panko coating.
Chicken breasts with spinach
This one-pan dinner consisted of chicken breasts, spinach, mushrooms and shallots, cooked separately but in the same pan. The baby Yukon potatoes were roasted in the toaster oven.
Vegetable frittata
Here's a great way to use up veggies like zucchini, peppers, scallions, spinach by making a frittata. The best part about this dish is that it's like a quiche, but crustless. The leftovers are also good for next day's breakfast.  
Riced cauliflower
Do you recognize what's in the above photo? Yes, it's riced cauliflower as last week I decided to try a cauliflower pizza crust and, of course, home made pizza is the best. Grenville is on a low carb eating plan (we dislike the D word). 

Here's an overview of the process: get a fresh cauliflower, break into florets, pulse in batches in a food processor until fine. (Yes, you will find little white pieces all over at clean-up time.) Steam in a basket or microwave, in the oven or in a pan over the stove  method tried this time). 
Cauliflower pizza crust 
Drain well by using a tea towel. Mix with an egg and seasonings (oregano, basil, salt, garlic powder) and cheeses (Parmesan, Romano, Mozzarella). Transfer to parchment paper, form into a pizza crust circle and pre-bake (400 degrees) without toppings.
Cauliflower pizza 
After 20 minutes, remove from the oven, add your favorite toppings, and cook for another 10 minutes. Above is the finished result. The crust was not as dry as others seemed in online videos. (I didn't squeeze the cauliflower after roasting on the stovetop based on advice in a video, this wasn't the best decision.) Using a tea towel next time to squeeze out more water.

Would I try it again? Yes, as with most recipes I will give it a second try
Does it taste like regular pizza? Not really, cauliflower is bland, more seasonings next time

I've made regular pizza dough and this process was more time consuming from cutting into florets, ricing in batches (then cleaning the food processor), steaming, draining, mixing and pre-baking. You can buy pre-made cauliflower crusts or riced cauliflower which would eliminate some steps. However, a pre-made cauliflower crust in a local supermarket was double the cost of buying a fresh cauliflower on sale, and fresh is always better (usually).
Crockpot roast pork and squash
Now is the time of year when our crockpot comes out of its pantry hiding. The above shows dinner last week —roast pork, butternut squash, carrots, onions and a side of mashed cauliflower. (The photo would have been better if taken when the meal was first plated.)
Ice Box cake
While it's not the prettiest looking dessert, leftovers of this ice box cake never lasted long when it was made in recent months. We invite friends over to help avoid leftovers. 

This no-bake dessert is a childhood throwback. I can recall when my mother made it using stove-cooked pudding and whole milk not instant pudding that used for mine. While good, it definitely wasn't like mom's. Basically, it's a simply layering graham crackers and pudding which is refrigerated before serving with a dollop of whipped cream. There's many variations online. 
Blueberry zucchini bread 
Zucchini bread is delicious, and better with add-ins like blueberries and chocolate chips. These do get a bit messy, if you are like us and cut the bread while it's still warm — but so good.

Sorry, there's no sampling here, unless someone can find an app for that. There's no recipes or links as there's so many recipe variations either in everyone's favorite cookbooks or online.

There isn't an air fryer appliance in our kitchen. Counter space is at a premium in an apartment kitchen and (for now) the crockpot works well. 

How about You — Do you have a favorite kitchen appliance?
If you enjoy home cooking too, do you have any favorite meals ?

23 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very tasty!

MadSnapper said...

my most despised of any appliance i ever bought was bought during the pandemic shut down, a ninj space saver oven that does all the things like frying. it does nothing that taste good and i want my old convection oven back but i paid to much. i have none that i love except the coffee maker. cooking is not my thing, i use my crockpot about 3 times a month. when I had kids i used a pressure cooker, but not now.. my stove is 2 years old and has been used 4 times in 2 years.
your photos of your food are so good and they all look delish.. except the cauliflower crust. i almost bought one of the frozen ones last week but passed it buy.. i wish i liked to cook, i must be a man and don't know it. ha ha

Vee said...

I don't enjoy cooking or baking anymore unless I am having guests or am giving it away. I really enjoy raw cauliflower and broccoli in salads. Your pizza looks yummy, next time you make it, it really will be. This is the season for baking and preparing delicious meals so have a good time.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good to hear of your cooking efforts, and the outcomes. I hate cooking and clean up but these days do it at least once, usually twice a day. I like that my fridge always seems to have left overs, and have to be cooked within a few days. So I wake up and think, onions (already chopped) and tomatoes (also chopped), rice, salmon, and what else? That's the basis of one of my meals today. I do have some fresh produce which doesn't inspire, but I'll also throw together a stir fry probably. I use recipes if I'm baking, but that's all. Thanks for trying the cauliflower crust. No thanks! for me to have a veggie I don't like in the first place, though it's probably good for me.

Norma2 said...

I really like cooking. In Argentina our favorite dish is roast meats.
Cauliflower is very good for our health, but there are many people who do not use it because of its smell at the time of cooking because of its unpleasant smell. So that this does not happen, it must be boiled with the pot uncovered.
Greetings from https://siempreseraprimavera.blogspot.com/

Emma Springfield said...

All of these are low-calorie treats that are good for us. Yum.

Bijoux said...

I enjoy trying new recipes and usually make something new for dinner at least once or twice a week. It’s hard to pick faves, but I do love my veggie lasagna. My favorite appliance is the crockpot, which I use year round. I’ll be making apple butter in it soon.

DeniseinVA said...

All your meals look wonderful! Hard to beat a home cooked meal but it is nice to get out every once in a while. We have a pork roast in the oven right now.

Linda G. said...

All of your food selections look very good. I especially liked the chicken tenders, the broccoli salad, and the pizza. A pizza oven is one of the accessories for our pellet grill. We have made a couple pizzas. You are correct; homemade pizza is the best.

Lee said...

Everything looks so tasty and so inviting.

I don't do much cooking these days...not like I once did. And now with summer approaching down this way, salads will be on the menu, too.

Take good care. :)

Red said...

I know that home cooking is the best. However , at this age, home cooking seems to have lost it's zip.

Jon said...

Your cooking is always diverse with wonderfully tempting recipes. The only thing I wouldn't like is the cauliflower pizza crust.

Margaret D said...

All looks lovely. Am aware of cauflour done like that along with broccoli. I'm always cooking something as there are 3 of us along with grandchildren at the weekends.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I must say that all of these items look delicious. We too enjoy cooking ( both of us) and seldom eat out. Stir fries are our go-to dishes when we look at each other and say, "What will we do for dinner?" They are always delicious, and ready in the wok in no time.



My name is Erika. said...

Everything looks so yummy. And don't you love doing some throwback recipes. They always bring me back to my childhood. Hope you're having a wonderful week. Hugs-Erika

Anvilcloud said...

You seem to like to cook. Nobody here does, especially.

Edna B said...

Gosh, it all looks so yummy. I personally love banana bread and cranberry bread. I never saw that ice box cake but it looks delicious. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Latane Barton said...

It was a good thing I had eaten my dinner before I read your post. Every bit of that food looked so inviting..

DUTA said...

I would like a slice of your blueberry bread. It looks yummy!

I invent my own recipes based on fiber, protein, caloric value.
My favorite veggie (some say it's a fruit) is the eggplant. I roast it on fire, peel it and turn it into a paste.. The paste serves as background to all kinds of dishes.

Doris said...

Your meals look good! We have used pre made cauliflower crust and it's ok. We are blessed with a nearby discount grocery that carries them sometimes. No air fryer here either although I would probably use it. Christy loves our instapot but I never got the hang of it. My favorite appliance is my little Keurig in our basement living room 👍

baili said...

wow i am really impressed with your food experiments dear Dorothy ,everything looks delicious and makes mouth water lol

i found the cauliflower pizza curst unique ,i am not much experimental but my boys like to cook pizza with different seasoning ,my youngest wants to try mushroom pizza tomorrow .

i most liked the both deserts ,in winters apatite for desert seems to grow more and i think i will try the zucchini cake
i too mostly forget to take photos of my food so i can share with bog friends.

i am enjoying appliances sent by my eldest son :) and my most favorite dish was ,is dall chawal ( red lentil with fresh coriander leaves and boiled rice )

health ,peace and joy to you and loved ones!

Rob K said...


This post is making me hungry! All these photos of food.

Not much of a home cooker beyond very basic meals and after reading this post I'm hoping you'll invite me over for dinner!

CrystalChick said...

We enjoy a bit of both... home cooked and take-out. I used to like cooking more years ago though. Maybe it's just our small kitchen and not much counter space that is a challenge? Cleaning up, and not having a dishwasher is a bit of a chore. lol. Still have some really great cookbooks though so might get back to it eventually. I do like riced cauliflower, but not so much as pizza crust. My crockpot, sadly, just sits in the corner and rarely gets used. Now that Fall is here, maybe I'll get back to making soup/stew. It's one of my fav things to make.
Your meals look good!
~Mary