Pages

Monday, October 26, 2020

Out and About

As noted in last Friday's post, we went on a weekend adventure. This time it was a craft fair, not just any craft fair, this one was billed as The Great New England Fall Craft & Artisan Show.
It that looks like folks are walking inside a giant tent, you're right. The Hampshire Dome is a 94,000 square foot arena covered by an air supported roof. This indoor sports venue features imitation turf fields, ready for multiple sports including baseball, softball, lacrosse and soccer. There's also a driving range, running track, and a performance and conditioning center. The Dome is part of the Hampshire Hills Athletic Club complex.
Advertisements for the craft fair noted that there would be constant air flow throughout the dome as giant dual cage turbofans would propel up to 44 thousand cubic feet of fresh air per minutes into the Dome. It stated that the Dome exhausted huge volumes per minute to create an air turnover rate while circulating the upper and lower atmospheres inside the Dome to create a breeze throughout it.
While this was billed as a Fall Crafts Fair, there were far more Christmas holiday items available for purchase. That worked for me as I bought 3 hand-made ornaments for the tree we plan to get and decorate this year. Like many others, we'll be home for the holidays, and we're not at all disappointed at that prospect.

Not being sports enthusiasts, we had never heard of the Hampshire Dome until seeing an online notice for this event. Many holiday events usually held in smaller venues like churches, schools, and halls have been cancelled this year due to you-know-what. Holding a large one indoors was quite an accomplishment.
Judging by the nearly filled-up parking lots when we arrived, people were eager to get out and do some pre-holiday shopping or maybe just eager to get out and look around. Lots of shoppers were toting a number of purchases by the time we left, two hours later.
There was a lot to see and all the exhibitor's booths were well-spaced apart. Hand sanitizing dispensers were available, masks were required for both vendors and attendees, and directional arrows indicated the route. Once through, you could re-circulate again as this was not a timed entry event.
A concession area sold food and drinks, but you could also buy sweet treats in the crafts area. One of those giant sized whoopie cakes (right) would set you back $8.50 (each not all).
There was no shortage of vendors selling homemade face masks, especially ones with holiday motifs. The items on the right were a first-time-seen craft, headbands to liven up your Zoom meetings. There were several similar displays during my walk through the fair. This you-know-what situation has spurred on a number of home-based craft businesses.
In March 2017, a nor'easter caused the air-supported roof to de-pressurize and collapse under the weight of blizzard snow and ice from one of the region's worst winter storms. The torn fabric was repaired and no similar forces of nature have caused further damage.
Tis soon-to-be the season for many things bright and joyful. We've seen ads listing at least two more indoor craft shows in late November and early December. Both are in towns not more than 30 to 45 minutes from Nashua, NH, and we're already planning to attend, if possible.

The quality of some images from the craft show are not ideal. There's a reason. Many crafters  prefer that people not take photos of their works, fearing that an original creation would be copied. Many crafts are not original, so at shows, like this one, there's similar or identical works. 

My interest in photo taking is only to show things seen with no plans to duplicate them. Rather than have someone say no photos, I use auto focus and shoot quickly in available light and hope that auto focus works, in some cases it's less focused fuzzy. (I always abstain and honor a vendor's request if there's a sign stating No Photos.)

How about You — Planning to get out to any seasonal events available in your area? 

19 comments:

MadSnapper said...

i have not heard of this tent dome either, or a craft show in one. they certainly has some of everything. i see one thing i really like, that is the stacked stone candleholders. I love those, but would not buy because i am past dusting STUFF... lots of gifts there

David said...

Beatrice, Craft Fairs are my wife's dream shopping experience and my worst nightmare...just saying. I'm safe this fall due to Covid-19...even she doesn't want to go to one of these big events! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Edna B said...

Our area is in the red zone again so I won't be going to any craft shows. This one looks awesome! I would love to have spent some time wandering around to see everything. I can't wait to see your new ornaments. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What an excellent venue for a craft fair. Some beautiful items displayed there too.

Jon said...

Autumn is a perfect time to visit craft fairs. I used to visit lots of them when I lived in the Missouri Ozarks, but haven't seen very many here in rural TN.
I never heard of the Hampshire Dome, but I like that air-supported roof (although I wonder how it would hold up in foul weather??)

I finally fixed the glitch that was keeping me from posting comments on blogs...but don't know how long it will last.
I'm hoping the Halloween Blog Gremlins will leave me alone.

By the way, I think that staying home for the holidays is the best thing to do. It's much better than going out....

Luiz Gomes said...

Hi good morning. All right? I am Brazilian, from Rio de Janeiro and I want to present my Blogger. New friends are welcome, no matter the distance. I would like to invite you to follow my Blogger. I'm the follower number 173.

https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

DUTA said...

Beautiful craft items on display! I like to wander around at art shows and look at the exhibits, especially the more practical ones. However,I've lately decided not to buy anything as I have to get rid of some clutter first.

Bill said...

The crafts are really nice to see. Hopefully the vendors had a great time there selling their creative items.

Big Dude said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

Ron said...

Oh, how WONDERFUL! I literally smiled all through this post!

One of my very favorite things to do in Autumn is to do exactly what you did. I also love to go to an Octoberfest, where they serve all sorts of delicious comfort foods and autumn decorations. I love the smell of spices--nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove!

I really like the river rock lamps. They're so cool-looking. A also like all the pottery. And that dark chocolate pumpkin looks like something I would buy.

Once again, great post! Fabulous photos! Thanks so much for sharing your weekend adventure.

Red said...

You could find some neat items here In fact , you might have to come back on another day to see everything.

Anvilcloud said...

Not it’s year for us.

I have run into that crafter photo thing. It’s silly.

TARYTERRE said...

what a wonderful outing. the crafts were delightful. i'm particularly fond of those rock candle lamps. innovative and very cool. looks like lots of goodies for holiday shoping.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Seems like the organizers did everything they could to hold a well planned event, giving due respect to Covid-19, and I am sure it was welcomed by all who attended as a return to some semblance of a normal fall.

Susan Zarzycki said...

I found the dome info fascinating. Who woulda thought that it could withstand New Hampshire winters! I doubt we will have any craft fairs here, but it was a pleasure to see your photos. I saw so many things I liked. It's nice you have more in the near future to look forward to.💖

William Kendall said...

I imagine I'd find things to my liking there. Wonderful shots.

Jeanie said...

It looks like a fun show. I miss things like that and I wouldn't go, even though with the air it looks safer but there are also far too many people too close together for my sense of safety, even with masks and air. I'm not doing my winter sale next month either, although I'm still offering cards and watercolors via the blog and facebook and tagging into our sale site. (This year, the sale isn't taking place in a home but in a gallery.) I have to say a number of people have already purchased by requesting my pdf so I'll do OK. But it's disappointing.

I see some very cute things here. But I don't understand the headbands for zoom. Hair headbands? Why would they liven up a zoom meeting? Any idea you can explain?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That sounds like an ideal place to hold an event in these times. We will be here in Oregon for the winter (usually we go to Florida for the season) and we haven’t even started to think about what we’re going to do.

My name is Erika. said...

I went to a boat show at the New Hampshire Dome a few years back. It's an interesting building. I'm skipping craft shows this fall. Covid numbers going up is a bit scary with a husband who is immunosuppressed. But fun to see your photos!