Pages

Friday, June 12, 2020

What's Out?

Food and other things — It seems that many things are either out of stock or cost more in local stores, not only here in Nashua, NH but everywhere. Here, it's frozen foods and canned goods.


That's why recent new headlines weren't surprising to me, and probably to you as well. They proclaimed that grocery store prices have soared upwards of 10-20%. Factors cited were more home cooking and shortages in the supply and demand chain. You think that's was really surprising to learn, I didn't either.

I'm sure you know as well as we do that supermarket prices have risen since the coronavirus outbreak has widened and disrupted the food supply chain. Some grocery stores have set purchase limits to keep from running out of stock. Others are raising prices to ration items and others are passing rising costs onto consumers.

When restaurants had to shut down, many people started cooking at home more often and some for the first time. We've always been at-home cooks, but also have enjoyed dining out at local restaurants at least once, sometimes twice a week. Local restaurants here now have expanded outdoor dining and inside dining begins June 25 with reduced capacity. We have been to a couple of local places in recent weeks and will continue with a preference for outside dining. How about you?

Not surprisingly, the demand for groceries has skyrocketed in the past few months. Farmers and food producers have become hard-pressed to quickly shift food deliveries from eateries to grocery stores. Another reason for some shortages is that panicked customers have bought food they may not need right now. Admittedly, we did buy some extra canned goods at first; now we're buying extras for the Community Food Pantry here in the mill apts. How about you, any stocking up?

That left a lot of empty store shelves as shoppers sought to buy non-perishables in the form of canned, bottled and boxed products including frozen foods.

Then, news spread about that employees at meat and poultry packing plants had caught coronavirus, which created even more shortages. Producers were shutting down plants countrywide and reports of meat and poultry shortages began. As with toilet paper before, supermarkets started to set purchase limits. 

You remember when toilet paper (TP) was in short supply seemingly everywhere here in the U.S. and elsewhere, don't you? That crisis has eased somewhat.

There was widespread accounts of TP hoarding. Supermarkets, retail pharmacies, warehouse club stores (Costco and BJs), and even discount dollar stores had empty shelves. Deliveries sold out as soon as they became available and stores limited purchases. Social media not only had many parodies and cartoons of these shortages, but people would post about availability in stores. That crisis has eased somewhat.

Then, shortages followed for hand sanitizer products, disposable gloves, paper masks. More recently, local supermarkets and other stores here have been providing some of these items for customer use at point of entry, notably to wipe cart handles.

Clorox® bleach and/or bleach related products have become hot sellers and often are hard-to-find items. Here, some stores are stocking off-brand products. There's also store shortages of other household cleaning products including toilet bowl cleaner. 

This week, two super markets we checked were completely sold out of shower cleaners of any brand with totally empty shelves. Are people showering more because of coronavirus?

That said, the local stores did have ample supplies of TP and other paper goods. I didn't see any limits posted. 


Here's even worse news, another reason for rising food costs either in the stores or at restaurants has nothing to do with shortages and/or availability. And it will most likely be ongoing. Can you guess, without reading ahead?

Did you figure out that every business and industry from farmers, producers, processing plants, grocery stores and restaurants have been and will continue to be making large financial investments in both employee and product safety? These measures include increased sanitation, plexiglass or plastic barriers between cashiers and customers, security guards to limit customer capacity during certain hours, and added signage. Admittedly, I find these 1-way signs frustrating (1) when the item needed is at the start of the aisle and (2) no other shopper(s) is around, Yes, I've cheated. Are all shoppers following the 1-way aisles where you shop?

Blog Friends, I was planning a Friday Funny today, but got sidetracked. It will return next week. We're remaining optimistic and thankful that we're doing well and grateful that family and friends are too. Some days get difficult with the new normals. Frustrations will pass, but still there's this saying on a fridge magnet in our home — Lord, please give me patience, and please make it NOW.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
We're heading to a flea market & the park

28 comments:

Ron said...

Yes, we've had our share of 0ut-of-stock items in our stores, particularly paper goods. But I have to say (and gratefully) during this whole pandemic, the stores here have been stocked very well. I shop primarily at Trader Joe's, and haven't seen any empty shelves other than perhaps at the end of the week. But by the start of a new week, the shelves are back to being fully stocked. Yet, they too have had periods where they've had purchase limits, but only on paper goods. Trader Joe's also keeps their prices pretty even, so I haven't noticed a spike in cost. One thing I've been stocking up on are canned goods. Every time I go shopping, I pick up another few cans.

We still do have 6 feet distancing signs in our stores, as well has wearing a mask.

Philadelphia was one of the last cities to open, but I noticed this week that non-essential business are slowly coming to life.

Have a great weekend, my friend Enjoy the flea market!

Vee said...

Yes, price increases, widespread shortages, and most are following "the rules." No eating at restaurants here yet because my county is not open for business. We can use take-out at some restaurants, but all restaurants, including Mickey D's, have extremely limited menus.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

For a while, flour and yeast were difficult items to find. Having no desire to learn how to bake my own bread, that wasn't a big hardship. I do think I'm spending far more on groceries than ever. Meat of all kinds is hard to find at a sale price and the lower priced no-name items are usually sold out, so I have to spend more on the name brand things. -Jenn

Anonymous said...

A couple of things we have needed for a while are still not available at our local markets-- brown basmati rice, arborio rice, nutritional yeast, etc. We did get more flour and bread yeast and I've been baking bread again! I worry about food supplies, and I think about all the people who show up to work -- from the harvest to the table and all else in between.

MadSnapper said...

Absolutely noticing empty shelves here in Florida. It is very unusual and we have already had three named storms before hurricane season starts. So not only do we have to prepare for the pandemic but we have to think about hurricane supplies we even had a weekend of no tax on anything that could be considered hurricane supplies!

MadSnapper said...

I read every word that you start here and heard almost all of it and try not to fret over all of it because every time I hear it I think what in the world are we going to do about food and other things. It's a scary world we live in now

Edna B said...

I've noticed the higher prices but there's not much to be done about it so I try not to get frustrated over it. Our local park has just re-opened, so I'm hoping that Pogo and I can take a ride through there soon. It will feel so good to do that again. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Emma Springfield said...

Of course prices will drop back down when all this ends (she says sarcastically).

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I too have noticed the increased prices. I didn’t see many empty shelves in the grocery store, except for the hand sanitizer section.
I’m not a big meat eater, so I didn’t notice a shortage there. However my regular grocery bill has gone up by about $ 30-35.

I hope you find some interesting things at the flea market. 😊

Laurel Wood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anvilcloud said...

Whatever we order online, or ask our friend to pickup for us, seems to be available. I haven't been paying much attention to prices.

Jon said...

Here in rural Tennessee the local Walmart is low on many items - they STILL have very little toilet paper, paper towels, and Kleenex.

Our supermarket (the only one in town) is well-stocked, but prices have definitely gone up - especially on meat. The chicken and pork chops that I always buy are much higher now.

My favorite Greek yogurt used to be only $2 but this week it's now $3.99 - so I didn't buy it.

David said...

Beatrice, We live in East Tennessee and yes, there are scattered shortages or out of stock items in every store. Today Costco even had a sign at the entrance, telling shoppers what they were out of or had limits on. Excellent compliance re: social distancing, masks and shields at the check outs and in the bathrooms, even at the sinks. We've been in a couple of stores with one way aisles...and very few people pay attention or care. It is a real pain to go in to pick up a few items and half to go up and down aisles that you don't need to shop in... As for outdoor dining, I generally don't like it...flies, not enough shade, too hot, etc., but in this environment, its eat outside in many places or stay home. We used to eat out about 3 times a week. Not any more but we're getting tired of our own cooking! We have family visiting this week. (all of whom practice safe distancing, wear masks when out, and who have been avoiding high risk situations) Looking forward to the social interaction! Did I mention that I hate wearing the masks? Steams up my glasses so I either leave them off or walk around partly fogged up. Still better than catching the coronavirus! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Jeanie said...

We've certainly noticed the uptick in prices and the basic reasons. The other -- cost of compliance -- hadn't dawned on me until you said it. And then it made loads of sense. This is fascinating. I think I need to share this one with Rick!

DeniseinVA said...

I hope you enjoyed your flea market trip. Sounds like a fun trip out. Being CostCo shoppers for several years, we had a good supply of things already and have passed extras on to those friends who needed them, also donating to various places who were asking for food and supplies. My way of thinking is that we've got to help each other out. Wish we could find disinfectant supplies more readily. Short supply of those but hot water and soap are in good supply, and lots of elbow grease :) Everything else seems to be okay at the moment, but yes we have seen the rise in prices. Inevitable I suppose. Take good care of yourselves out there, good health to all :)

Connie said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing well there. We are doing fine here too. Cleaning supplies are the only products we've noticed a shortage on here.

DUTA said...

Availability and prices are so far OK.
A lot will depend on the corona virus's behavior. Things don't look good at present,in my country. It appears the virus likes schools/ It was thought that only the elderly were the target. Well, we've got many infected youngsters.

L. D. said...

We tried to buy potato soup for our friend. None sat on the shelves. She got some chicken with wild rice which were the last two. It seems to make the shopping stressful when it use to be so fun.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have not noticed prices going up exponentially and so far I have been able to get everything we need. I do the shopping for the two of us and it has not been a hassle. I go early in the morning, as soon as the store opens for seniors and those requiring assistance, and my shopping expeditions take less time than before Covid-19 regulations were implemented. As far as shopping is concerned, I would be happy to continue with this arrangement on a permanent basis. The one thing I find mildly irritating is the directional arrows on the floor, especially when I miss something and have to travel down the next aisle to return to the one I need to be in. But I do it, good Pavlovian that I am perhaps, but I don't drive the wrong way on a one way street, I wear my seatbelt, stop at a stop sign, keep the sidewalk tidy, so why should this be any different? As for dining out we do little of it at the best of times. By cooking ourselves (which we enjoy) we control sodium and other ingredients, save money, are not disappointed by poor quality or service, don't have to drive, and don't have to listen to the constant noise in a restaurant. On balance, other than for lack of getting together with friends, Covid-19 has not been a huge problem for us.

Red said...

Can't believe all those empty shelves. We are missing some things but not like that. We have started to eat out again against my better judgement.

Valerie said...

Reading this made me thankful that I no longer need to visit stores. However, I have heard that things are pretty much back to normal now.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

We had that situation in the UK for a couple of weeks or so, but supermarkets seem to have the situation under control now. There are still some restrictions in place on the number of items you can buy, but that's only to prevent unnecessary hoarding. I've been able to order online and have my groceries delivered. I hope they get things sorted out for you soon.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I really stocked up way before the shut down so I'm in pretty good shape. Living alone doesn't use up much.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

We have noticed and increase on some things, however, our stores have started to be very well stocked up and things are now easy to find. I hope it stays that way. Since we live so far from town, we have always had a stocked pantry. Nothing too big, but enough so that we do not have to make a 60 mile round trip unless it is necessary.

Silver in AZ said...

HI Beatrice! I'm back! My 9 month, unplanned blogging hiatus is over! Here in AZ, I'm still sticking to home, except we take a Sunday drive to keep the car battery going and break up the hum drum. We stockpiled reasonably at the beginning, and now just replenish about every 10 days. Since hubby is 16 years younger, he does the shopping, and I do the groceries sanitizing as needed (items that don't require refrigeration or freezing go on the spare bed for 3-7 days and don't get sanitized. Everything else does.) So far, so good. By the grace of God. Hope you are well, all things considered!

Tara said...

Here in Colorado, TP has been plentiful for the last several weeks. I guess people stocked up enough not to panic anymore. Pre-made salads are selling like hotcakes which is too bad because my favorite ones seem to always sell out before I get there. I'm buying canned good now in anticipation of the second wave in the fall.

Haven't been out to a restaurant yet, but that may change soon. We have a low infection rate in our county, so I might just go out for a hair appointment soon!

Feeling pretty isolated, as I live alone, but do get together with neighbors for outdoor visits, and that helps a lot.

One last thing, I started ordering my meats from a company called Greener Pastures who sources their meat from small midwestern farms. It costs more, but it's so delicious and I am glad I can support small farmers.

Buttercup said...

Once we got into April I didn't find too many shortages. I couldn't find baking powder, but I noticed in one of the small stores near me a nice supply when I checked yesterday. I haven't gone into any big groceries in the last few month, but have kept well stocked with delivery once a week and the small local stores near me. I'm happy to keep business in the neighborhood and grateful they were able to stay open.

Bill said...

We haven't had any shortages here. Everything we need, there is no problem getting it. Prices seem to be the same. We have a Lidl and Aldi in our town and prices there are low anyway.

About the construction of the building in one of my posts, I believe it is going to be someone's house. time will tell. Have a wonderful week!