Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

We Fled to a Flea Market

Yes, that's what we did this past weekend on Sunday morning. 

It wasn't a far excursion as we visited the Londonderry Flea Market (LFM), about a 20-minute drive from Nashua, NH, where we live.

We didn't go to buy anything specific, but just wanted to get out to look at stuff we didn't need to want to buy. 

Do you plan to buy something, when going to a flea market or thrift store? 

Most folks, ourselves included, like love to browse. We can spend a lot of time doing that. It's something we've been missing in recent months with COVID-19 related shutdowns. While the LFM is an outdoor venue, we masked-up. Others did too; some didn't. It was suggested at the entrance, but not enforced.

To us, this it was an excursion. We successfully avoided bringing home more stuff

We spotted a variety of cars — very small to very large. The limo below wasn't for sale, but available for event rentals. The sign wasn't visible at first glance, and we wondered if it might be for sale. It wouldn't fit in our assigned parking space, so we'd have to pass it up anyway.

The great thing about a flea market is you never know what you'll find (or not find) there. Maybe, it's something you've been looking for or something you didn't expect to find — a treasure like fishing poles, bicycles, old tools, boxes or assorted screws. We already have a lot of those now and some of them are loose ones.
There's definitely something for everyone, like these items. After all, who wouldn't want Elvis in their home?


There was a large number of shoes from bronzed baby shoes to high heels. Our parents didn't have our baby shoes bronzed. Did yours? 

Online, I learned that since 1934, the American Bronzing Company in Columbus, OH, has bronzed over 14,000,000 baby shoes for sentimental parents at prices ranging from $65 to over $200. But, the market for bronzed baby shoes is minimal to non-existent; secondary market values range between $10 and $15, unless the baby shoes belonged to a well-known personality. The ones below were unmarked and no seller was around, but it's doubtless they belonged to anyone famous.

The LFM covers some 30 acres. It's open weekends starting in late May-early June from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., weather permitting. This was the second week of operation. Compared to a couple of visits last year, we noticed the absence of many vendors with empty stalls like these below. Most likely, we'll make a return visit later this summer.

Some sellers are regulars who maintain a regular spot area the entire season, bringing in new and/or different items weekly to increase their inventory. Others are known as weekend or yard sale sellers, who rent space to sell no-longer needed items on a one-time basis with a potentially larger buying public.

Years ago, manual typewriters were in widespread office and home use. We've seen many vintage newspaper office films showing reporters typing on them to meet their deadlines. Smith Corona was created when L.C. Smith & Bros. united with Corona Typewriter in 1926. I typed high school papers on a Smith Corona typewriter similar to the second model below.

Searching for a very low maintenance pet, these cats would certainly filled the bill.



Most weekends, there's a good-sized area where shoppers can purchase food items like burgers and hot dogs, subs, fries, and drinks. Then, sit and enjoy them at tables under a tented area. However last weekend, the food tent was empty; no food was being sold or enjoyed.

There's also an on-site pond but I didn't take a photo. Last year we saw boat rides being offered and visitors can also bring remote control boats. This year we didn't see any of this activities on our visit. Maybe, they'll resume as the season progresses.

Entry admission is $1.50 per person. Seniors 60 and over and children 12 and under get free admission. As you can imagine, we fell into one of these categories.

On the weekend, we also went to a nearby park, details and photos in another post.
Hope that as many of you as possible have been able to get outdoors too.

24 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I think hand and foot casts may have taken over from bronzed baby booties in these latter times.

Ron said...

Your post title is soooooo clever!

I haven't been to a flea market or thrift store in many years, but I do enjoy them. I think the last time I was at a thrift store/consignment shop was in Chestnut Hill. I went with a friend and I purchased a really nice rain coat for a great price.

Looking at your photos, I'm so impressed by the variety of items they sold.

OMG, I remember when parents had their baby's shoes bronzed!! My parents didn't, but I remember seeing them (like the one you pictured as a pen holder), on people's desks.

Love the typewriters! I took a typing course in high school right around the time when IBM started making electric typewriters. I was actually one of those students who enjoyed typing class. Thinking back, it was a handy thing to learn because of the invention of computers and keyboards.

I have to say that when I first glanced at the picture of the cats, I thought they were REAL!

Thanks for sharing your day. It's fun to see how people spend their days.

Hope you're having a great week!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I haven't been to a Flea Market in years. I used to go all the time when we lived in VA. The Pres doesn't care for Tag Sales or Flea Markets...:)jp

Edna B said...

I absolutely love, love flea markets! Every year when I go to Florida, the first place I visit is the local flea market. I don't have to buy anything, I just love to look. Of course, a purchase always is really nice too. Thanks for taking me along with you to this flea market. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

When I go to a flea market, (quite rarely to tell you the truth), I immediately head for the people selling second hand books. I have not found too many great deals, but there have been a few over the years. I do better at auctions. There I have had a couple of real gems.

Vee said...

🙂 I wonder which one. And just how many loose screws are we talking about here?

Used to love going to flea markets. I don't now. Sometimes I was on a mission and sometimes I was just browsing. My niece just found two wonderful Lodge skillets for $20. Every kitchen needs skillets! There are still bargains to be found.

Laurel Wood said...

We once enjoyed browsing at flea markets. We no longer have the desire to purchase anything but a lot of times the items bring back nice memories. My parents did not bronze my baby shoes but my best friends' did - they were made into bookends! Thanks for your well wishes for John. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

This post makes me want to go to a Flea Market. I haven't been to one in so many years.

MadSnapper said...

In the past we loved to go to the Red Barn flea market which is very much like the pictures you have here! And it's not even two miles from where we live in fact it is on the same street that we live on. And we used to go quite often but just like we used to go and walk in the woods quite often we can't because Bob can't walk anymore more than 10 to 15 minutes. But in the past we spent many happy hours browsing

David said...

Beatrice, We've been to many a flea market. There is a huge one just a few miles away that is open 2 days a week. (No admission charge) We almost never go to a flea market looking for anything specific. FYI, the nearby US 127 corridor is the world's longest flea market...actually better defined as a yard sale although many vendors are flea market operators. This annual event in August stretches from Michigan to Alabama. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Emma Springfield said...

I truly enjoy a trip to a flea market. Usually I buy worthless little trinkets. Once in a great while I come across something more valuable.

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a delightful excursion! I haven't been to a flea or antique market in ages. That price is perfect!

Silver in AZ said...

I'm a 'just browser'. And enjoy the open air. Too hot for them here now, but come fall, I need to find some that aren't just boutiquey.

Michelle said...

A flea market trip sounds like just the thing during these times. I haven't been to one in a while, but would love to go.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

That sounds like a nice outing.
I love thrift stores and flea markets. I normally don’t plan to buy things, but come home with things ‘I really like’. 😁

Today I went to a thrift store after about three months. I was passing by and stopped to see if it was open, and left with a skein of yarn! Then I stopped at another thrift store and bought more yarn.

My favorite flea market in the next county closed last week. I think owners are selling the lot to a property developer. 😢

Red said...

There's no end of stuff at a flea market but I could do without it.

DUTA said...

The last time I went to a flea market was in Moscow, several years ago.
I came back with some amber pieces of jewelery for gifts: natural,beautiful and..cheap. Highly recommend these gifts.

Pensive Pensioner said...

Here in the UK we have car boot sales but none are taking place at the moment due to the restrictions. I love browsing the stalls, you never know what you might find. I really love antiques auctions too. I love looking round and enjoy the buzz of bidding for something that takes my eye. I have no idea when they will recommence either.
I find the sight of the bronzed baby shoes a bit sad, they must have been precious to someone once.
Glad you had a lovely day, Beatrice, doesn't fresh air perk you up 😎 x

mamasmercantile said...

Flea markets and charity shops haven't opened up here yet but I do love a good bargain. The thrill is in the find.

Rita said...

What a fun trip. I was drooling over the old typewriters! ;)

baili said...

This was treat for me as it's been ages I got out dear Dorothy

I loved this virtual tour so much

You share everything so finely
Bronzed shoes wow never saw such thing around here

I agree that in malls such fun markets people spend hours I window shopping
I wonder if those normal times are back
Here probability such markets that take place once in a week called Sundy or Friday market

My name is Erika. said...

That looks like fun. I never go looking for anything in particular, but I do like to dig through things and find bargains. I try to avoid it though as being in our house for 31 years, we have so much stuff already. I’d take a typewriter. Hope you had fun and bought something good or something just fun. Happy weekend hugs Erika

L. D. said...

A lot of things to see. It had to be fun to get out and see things.

Connie said...

You found a lot of interesting items at the flea market. Like you, we like to go just to browse and not necessarily to buy anything.