Pages

Monday, February 10, 2020

Gonna Take . . .

No, not a sentimental journey, but a short blog break because of a special event which will be shared in future posts when it's ended.

Even though I won't be actively posting for awhile, I'll be following your blog posts and commenting as time allows.

And, since I usually almost always like to include a back story in many posts, here's some information about a popular 1944 song, Sentimental Journey.

The song describes someone set to take a train to a place to where there's a great emotional attachment and mounting anticipation in wondering why he/she roamed. The music was written by Les Brown and Ben Homer; lyrics were written by Bud Green. If you know the tune, go ahead and sing out loud (no one will hear). Here's the lyrics. 

Gonna take a sentimental journey
Gonna set my heart at ease
Gonna make a sentimental journey
To renew old memories
I got my bag, I got my reservation
Spent each dime i could afford
Like a child in wild anticipation
I long to hear that: "all aboard!"
Seven, that's the time we leave - at seven
I'll be waiting up for heaven
Counting every mile of railroad track - that moves me back
I never though my heart could be so yearny
Why did I decide to roam
Gotta take a sentimental journey
Sentimental journey home

Bandleader Les Brown and His Band of Renown had been performing the song, but were unable to record it because of a 1942–44 musicians' strike. When the strike ended, the band, and 20-year old vocalist Doris Day, had a hit record with the song in 1945. It was Day's first #1 hit. (Over the next two decades, Day made 40 movies and became the top female box-office star in Hollywood history, with a No. 1 ranking in 1960, 1962, 1963 and 1964. She was top box office over contemporaries including Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor. With her blond good look and girl-next-door appeal, Day projected a wholesome public image and was dubbed America's Sweetheart.)

The song's release coincided with the end of WW II in Europe and became the unofficial homecoming theme for many veterans. The record first reached the Billboard charts on March 29, 1945 and stayed 23 weeks on the chart, peaking at #1. Day's vocals have been described as “honey with a dash of pepper, that would make anyone to pack a bag and join her on that journey home,” what many GIs wanted to do when it debuted in 1944.

Sentimental Journey became a standard with jazz artists and was recorded by many others, some of whom surprised me. Ella Fitzgerald released a version in 1947. Conway Twitty did a rock 'n roll version in his 1959 album. Frank Sinatra recorded his version in 1961. The Platters covered it in 1963. In 1965, Harry James recorded a version in New Versions of Down Beat Favorites. Booker T. & the MG's performed an instrumental version on their 1966 album, And Now! In 1994, Les Brown and His Band of Renown teamed up with Barry Manilow on a version of the song for Manilow's album Singin' With The Big Bands. Rosemary Clooney issued a 2001 album Sentimental Journey which included the song. 

The song was featured in a popular 1978 episode of M*A*S*H episode titled, Your Hit Parade. Commanding officer, Col. Sherman T. Potter, a long-time fan of Doris Day, had the song played over the camp P.A. system several times during the day. 

Now, for your enjoyment (hopefully) here's a sentimental trip back in time with Doris Day. The video was "borrowed" online from YouTube. It features photos of Ms. Day, plus a few commercials (sorry)
Hope you enjoyed the trip. See you soon.

21 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Have a good break

Kathy said...

Love that song. (Yes, I did sing it.) Have a good break and see you when you get back.

Edna B said...

I remember when this song first came out. I didn't know that many people had recorded it. Thanks for the video. I hope your break is for a pleasant reason. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

DUTA said...

Your blog break probably has to do with a sentimental trip, a trip which will involve indulging in pleasant memories. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for Doris Day and the song.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful journey, and thank you for the music and story.

MadSnapper said...

have a wonderful journey where every you are going. this song was released the year I was born. I do remember all the people who sang it over the years. also I just realized, it fit my life from birth to 1953, riding the trains from Savannah to here, twice a year or more.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It's amazing how popular music changed in the next twenty years after 1944. We'll miss your informative and cheerful blogposts.

mamasmercantile said...

Have a wonderful break.

Emma Springfield said...

I have always liked Doris Day's version of Sentimental Journey. Her voice is like silken sheets caressing the whole body.

Michelle said...

Enjoy the break

Red said...

Doris Day was certainly one of my favorites. She sang many very popular tunes.

Annsterw said...

Enjoy your break - I always need one from time to time two! Enjoy YOUR time! HUGS

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Enjoy your break. :)
I'm looking forward to reading about it once you are back. :)

Connie said...

I like that song. I hope you have a good break!

Lois Evensen said...

Enjoy your break. I look forward to hearing all about your adventure when you return.

Valerie said...

Gosh, I still remember that song. Hope you have a good time.

baili said...

enjoy your event dear Dorothy !

lovely song ,reminded me childhood carefree wanders :)

Jon said...

A haunting classic - and nobody sang it like Doris Day. My mother used to play this on the piano.

Thanks for taking us on an enjoyable sentimental journey...

diane b said...

Hopefully you are on a sentimental journey.

DeniseinVA said...

Wherever you are going and whatever you are celebrating, may it be all the happiest of times :)

William Kendall said...

I don't know if your break is up; I'm still trying to catch up with reading.