Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Readers and Contacts

Last spring I had cataract surgery. The procedures and aftermath, which are not gory in the least, were described in two separate posts in late April (The Better to See) and early May (Seeing Clearly Now). Those details won't be repeated in this post, which is more of an update.

As posted earlier, both surgeries were successful in giving me distance vision which has eliminated the need to wear glasses for driving/seeing things far off and in seeing colors much brighter. Prior to surgery, my glasses did not correct well enough for distance while driving, especially when trying to see road signs.

And, everything was totally covered by basic Medicare. However, we also have a Medicare Supplement plan which would have taken care of any additional costs, if needed. The only "expense" was the co-pay required for eye drops used before and after the surgeries.

All has been great, except that reading glasses became a definite necessity to read anything with fine print not only papers, magazines, mail, but also grocery store labels which became the most challenging as I disliked taking the "readers" on and off.

Yes, I know, it's a minor inconvenience and far less costly than my previous eyeglass prescription and frames. So I bought some readers many to put in the apt — kitchen, bedroom, living room, by the PC, also a pair in the glove compartments of our two vehicles, my purse. Also a spare pair in the suitcase so as not to forget one when going on a road trip.

Sounds excessive, perhaps, but as noted above, they are comparatively inexpensive. Dollar Stores, pharmacies, and many other places carry them. No prescription is needed, just a recommended strength, which for me is +2.00.

Still, I wanted freedom to not need to carry/look around for readers, especially when using a cell phone, tablet, and especially a digital camera. The smaller the camera, the smaller the settings to read.

The solution — a single contact lens that's worn in my left eye and corrects for close reading. The right eye remains corrected for distance. Unlike when wearing reading glasses, I can walk around and, yes, even drive my car with the single contact. However, I've opted not to wear it when driving. I prefer to have both eyes distance corrected when on the road.

Yes, I still have reading glasses strategically placed around the apartment and in the cars, but now I have a choice. The contact lens is a "daily wear" that's removed nightly, cleaned with a solution, and placed in a lens case overnight. It can be worn for up to 2 weeks. If necessary, it could be worn overnight; my optometrist doesn't advise this on a regular basis.

A separate exam was required before a prescription can be written. Our medical plans don't cover the cost of the exam or contacts. However, my optometrist's office price-matched so I was able to save $ and shop locally. 

If anyone else has or will be having cataract surgery and wants a choice, this might be something to consider.

So far, it's been working well for me.

15 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Sue tried the one eye solution back in the day but didn't feel that it suited her.

Christina said...

I have readers all over the house and office, and in my various handbags... my distance vision is still good but I am unable to read a book without my readers. Cataract seems to run in my family, I might well be in your shoes at some point in my future. Thanks for the tips

Anonymous said...

I will probably have cataract surgery in the future, and I will remember this post. Thank you for writing this down.

Linda said...

Good for you! I have dozens of glasses! A whole basket full! I can’t find my prescription ones so it takes two pair.....one to walk around and another pair to put on top of that pair to read! It’s ridiculous! In March I’m going to get me a new prescription pair and buy much better quality than I did last time! I’m so glad your surgeries were so successful,

Edna B said...

Quite some years ago, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. I've never had a problem from it. My eyes are super light sensitive so I always have to wear glasses with treated lenses so that the light does not hurt my eyes. So my glasses are invisible bifocals. This way I do not have to use reading glasses. Just my regular glasses. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I'm glad the surgery was a success.
I got reading glasses several years ago, though I still can read books without them. It's hard to read fine print... I don't like wearing glasses, but I'm getting used to it. :)

Emma Springfield said...

The eye doctor says that I have the beginnings of cataracts which is normal for my age. Nothing to worry about thank goodness.

Jon said...

You've certainly gone through a lot with your eyes, but it's good that you finally have a suitable resolution that allows you to see properly.

Several years ago I had emergency surgery on both my eyes for very badly torn retinas. I was in danger of going blind.
I have always been very myopic. I wore rigid contact lenses for many years. Now I wear soft, toric contacts. The old rigid lenses provided much clearer vision - but the soft lenses are much more comfortable.

Red said...

Ok this makes great sense. I would love to see road signs and colors that are vivid.

DUTA said...

People that underwent cataract surgery are usually pleased with the result. Some of them ,however, are concerned about side effects of eyedrops they sometimes have to use.

Valerie said...

Perseverance paid off. Well done.

L. D. said...

I am so glad that it has all worked out well for you. I had a friend that had the surgery now wears reading glasses. If you don't mind the contact that would be a good solution. I wore contacts for years and I miss them.

mamasmercantile said...

I am thrilled it has all worked out for you and that you were able to find such a good solution.

Connie said...

Glad to hear it is going well and that this is a good solution for you.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully it never winds up being an issue for me.